Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: IDW Transformers ongoing [spoilers]

A re read of this issue reveals the error I pointed out to be (another one of the many) editing mistakes that the IDW run is rapidly becoming infamous for - Starscream in one flashback is shown arguing with Soundwave still in his MP F-15 Eagle body, and then a few pages later in another flashback, this time to issue 13, in his F-22 Raptor body while fighting Hot Rod (the error being that in that issue he had his MP Starscream body)
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I read this latest issue and the character model changes just don't bother me. I can always tell who a character is supposed to be and that's what matters. I just don't care that the jet modes have randomly changed for the seekers or whatever. It's just artistic licence.

If there's any complaint about this issue it's that most of it is devoted to the bad guy (although it's not clear which) revealing the evil plot, which could have been condensed so more actually happened. The timeframe it gives doesn't feel like it matches the comics that came before, but instead seems to be based in reality. Did Ongoing #1 take place 14 months before Ongoing #15? Never felt like that as a reader.

Slightly petty continuity whining aside, the last page of this issue is a fantastic piece of art. We NEED a toy of that Starscream.

So #15 is the best issue we have had thus far, but the art still stinks, and there were still about 6-10 pages wasted on crud that could have been covered in about 1-2 pages tops.

Fills in the back story nicely, it is not the first time a TF has had a new body constructed from nothing...

Having Megatron give a little of his conciousness to each gun also is silly, and a very roundabout way of getting Bumblebee shot... it's almost like this plot point was quickly thought of after Costa had decided to have Bee shot... knee jerk backstory with plenty of "lucky coincidences" ftw.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I can see where they're going with it.

And it probably will involve grabbing a bunch of the guns so they've got a sizeable chunk of Megatron's spark, and then using it to bring him down just as his plan is about to come to fruition.

Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Having Megatron give a little of his conciousness to each gun also is silly, and a very roundabout way of getting Bumblebee shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    And it probably will involve grabbing a bunch of the guns so they've got a sizeable chunk of Megatron's spark, and then using it to bring him down just as his plan is about to come to fruition.
    Bring on 'Optimus Prime and The Deathly Hallows'.

So #16 was a bit of everything:
    - Too much squishies talking
    - Magnus not dealing with stuff
    - Starscream being a git
    - Megatron being insane
    - Megatron being insane but stomping squishies (yay!)
    - Thundercracker getting even more spotlight time
    - resolution of an anti-cliffhanger
    - very little robot-e-robot violence
    - wasted pages and slow moving story
    - inconsistent art

But overall, it actually was alright, not good, certainly not great, but alright. It seems Costa has a direction and an idea of how to move in that direction. Too bad it's taken so long to go nowhere to get to this point.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I've also been reading some of the movie prequel stuff, and speaking generally I wonder if IDW has been told its cool to really let the humans have it now? I mean sure we've had like... implicit off panel death before, but now three series runnng at the same time (ongoing, infestation, and the movie stuff) have humans being vaporised down to skeletons.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    So #16 was a bit of everything:

- Magnus not dealing with stuff
    *snip*
    the guy's not improved since 1986... "consistency is not victory". You fail, Magnus.

G1 Comic Magnus was pretty cool. Yeah sure, he constantly got nine colours of snot beat out of him again and again and again -- but that's because G1 comic Galvatron was a freakin' demi-god. For a relative "mere mortal," I think Ultra Magnus did okay.

SharkyMcShark: since this thread is about IDW's ongoing G1 and not their movieverse comics, I would have appreciated it if you'd spoiler tagged your comment about humans being vapourised to skeletons, as I'd read that post _before_ I picked up my DotM prequel comics yesterday (and only read it this morning). Perhaps if it were posted in a thread for the DotM prequel comics then I would have abstained from reading such a thread until I read the comics to avoid spoilers... but I walked into this thread about TF Ongoing, which I'm up to date on, and was inadvertantly exposed to a DotM prequel spoiler.

A spoiler warning and/or spoiler tags would be appreciated. Thank you.