Thread: Fighting Fantasy Thread

Default Fighting Fantasy Thread

Just curious to see if there are any other Fighting Fantasy fans out there - whether that be old fans of the series (Penguin Books) or new fans (Wizard Books).

These were pretty much the only books that I would read as a kid (I was too young for D&D) and led to a casual interest in story writing.

My parents of course thought that they were the 'root of all evil' given their undertones of wizards, demons, and undead. Having re-read some of the titles though, I can understand where they were coming from...

I'm always on the hunt in second-hand bookshops for the original series, but a lot of the time I just find ex-library copies that have been beaten to death. If anyone has some titles that they would like to unload, I'd be very happy to take them off your hands
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

and here I was ready to destroy Final Fantasy with my raging hate. stupid dyslexia!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    and here I was ready to destroy Final Fantasy with my raging hate. stupid dyslexia!
    Let the rage consume you and your journey will be complete.

Something, something, dark side...

*waves hand* This is not the topic you are looking for
    Last edited by 5FDP; 4th December 2009 at 02:01 PM.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Well, I too liked them in my youth and once had no's 1-26... then my interest petered out. I still have a few. I kept the ones I really liked, of which there are about a dozen.
    I also have 3-4 issues of Warlock, the "Fighting fantasy magazine", the large paperbak versions of Out of the Pit (monsters' compendium) and Titan (world guide), Fighting Fantasy (how to hold your own FF adventure) and the Riddling Reaver (a preconfigured FF adventure for a group of people to play).
    I once had and still wish I had "Clash of the Princes" - a two-player adventure! Ome book was the warrior prince, one was the magician, and every now and then your paths would cross (the two were meant to be read/played at once).
    I once converted Citadel of Chaos into a solo DandD adventure.
    Ah, good times......

Lucky you managed to keep the ones from your youth - my dad threw most of mine out when I was a young adult The only ones that I managed to keep were the four-part Sorcery series, and the Fighting Fantasy novels (the first two).

I also managed to keep a story that I wrote (fighting fantasy style) when I was in primary school. It had, from memory, about 40 paragraphs or different scenarios. I mapped it all out while writing the story so I could keep track of all the twists and turns. I used Out of the Pit to choose the monsters that I wanted to write into the story. All of this was done on my 'hand-me-down' Commodore 128 and dot matrix printer.

If you’re ever looking to off-load those Warlock mags
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

I've never heard of Fighting Fantasy, but I did read Be An Interplanetary Spy (my favourites!), Choose Your Own Adventure, a few Twistaplots (which I didn't like much) and of course the Transformers game books. I still have Peril From The Stars, but my favourites as a child (which I've since lost) were Dinobot War and Island of Fear. Island of Fear was my favourite; the book required you to team up with Beachcomber to defeat Dirge, but there was also another route where you could also team up with Seaspray depending on which choices you made.

Choose Your Own Adventure books were very similar to Fighting Fantasy however there are two major differences - Fighting Fantasy was written for the pre-teens up to young adults as the themes were too dark for younger kids, and you had to use dice in order to battle creatures, test your luck, and increase / decrease stamina.

For instance - if you have a skill and stamina rating of 9 and 18 respectively, when fighting you would roll two dice and add the total to your skill. You would then do the same for the creature you are fighting and whoever had the highest 'skill' total would inflict damage - minus 2 stamina points. You would then continue this until either you or the creature had zero stamina i.e. dead.

Being a Transformers fan and a Fighting Fantasy fan I used to make up skill and stamina ratings for my Transformer toys (more often than not just using the Tech Specs ratings) and had them fight using the above method.

I've never owned any of the Transformer game books but have read about them. Been tempted more than once to buy some from Ebay.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

This thread died in the arse a while ago, but I just wanted to share my joy at the announcement that they are turning the House of Hell book into a movie

It'll probably end up being a B grade horror flick, but I'll be queuing up to see it.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Did the books when I was a kid... got the ipod app too hahahaha it's not very good