Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: busting the myth

Default busting the myth

Over the past couple of days, I decided to do an 'ultimate G1 Transformers checklist', just so I know which boxes and which accessories I am missing from the G1 era.

The checklist contains all the 1984 to 1989 G1 Transformers like out of the catalogue checklists and also the 1987 to 1989 Japanese exclusives.

The checklist does not list the multiples I have, just the one best piece of each figure.

Today, I plugged in the prices of the corresponding figures and totalled them.

RESULTS...

I have as complete and MIB, 88.4% (of 1984 to 1989 G1 Transformers).
    Total cost = $26,000 (approx)

The point in this?

The total cost is merely $26K, for almost 90% of the entire G1, each in C9 or better condition, C9 or better stickers, all complete with paperworks, all in boxes (also bearing in mind the premium prices I usually pay, and that I paid for pieces like C114 ($2000), D329 to D334 ($1800), C311 ($1400), C328 ($1200) and etc).

Remember the hypothetical questions about whether one should sell one's Transformers collection for $100,000? $200,000? $300,000?

Maybe not such a bad idea. Even at $100,000, it'd be a 400% profit, hypothetically.

Just a thought anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    The total cost is merely $26K, for almost 90% of the entire G1, each in C9 or better condition, C9 or better stickers, all complete with paperworks, all in boxes
    I still don't think that's going to be much help in convincing the wife... but thanks anyway

The thing is - Has any of those ourageous 'Entire G1 Collection' Ebay auctions ever sold at the high price costs they ask?

What about the sentimental value of the collection now that is priceless

Then there is the 'handiness' and 'time saving' factor. They have prices of their own which have to be factored in. I'd hate to think how much time I've (wasted) spent on the net and eBay in the past decade looking for stuff and I've only got 100 figures.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

snaketales, I was not saying $26K is very little money, what I was trying to say is that, that's a lot less than what I imagined I had spent (and its good reason to go to my wife and say 'see, I didn't actually spend that much'). heh.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The thing is - Has any of those ourageous 'Entire G1 Collection' Ebay auctions ever sold at the high price costs they ask?
    That's a very good point. Although I would have bought that entire US boxes MIB collection on auction for $1 million that that US woman was selling after her partner passed on from sickness (or some situation like similar), but subsequently (or was rumoured) to have been sold to eBay seller Raviscollectibles in the region of $70K to $80K.

If I knew that was the offer on the table (instead of $1 million), I would have bought it. Then sit back and never have to worry about eBay again.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptic_Optics View Post
    What about the sentimental value of the collection now that is priceless
    So true! How we value them is of course radically different from how much they cost us. Still, from a cost point of view, I was surprised that my stuff didn't cost me as much as I was imagining they'd cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Then there is the 'handiness' and 'time saving' factor. They have prices of their own which have to be factored in. I'd hate to think how much time I've (wasted) spent on the net and eBay in the past decade looking for stuff and I've only got 100 figures.
    Completely agree with you there. I am growing rather displeased with every additional moment I have to spend on eBay (or online) searching for figures.

Congrats on the collection! its very impressive only 11.6% to go lol

In reference to the: (Buying a Collection in One Go) Vs (Hunting Them Down over Many Years) discussion

Personally i prefer to hunt for figures on eBay rather than buy it in one bunch, it may sound crazy, but i feel a figure/collection feels more significant if you hunted it down rather than buy them all in one go.

Does anybody feel the same? or am i crazy

Maybe the effect of 'the hunt' has not worn off in my situation, but when i look at my collection i feel that there is a greater sentimental value as i worked hard to acquire each figure rather than buy it in one go.

The fact that i don't have the kind of money to buy a complete collection of G1 or Beast wars collection may be a factor, Also being a university student means at times, i can have lots of spare time to search for figures
    But personally apart from the actual figures, hunting for them at various stores or on eBay is all part of the fun when adding to my collection.

well thats my 2 cents lol

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream_212
    In reference to the: (Buying a Collection in One Go) Vs (Hunting Them Down over Many Years) discussion

Personally i prefer to hunt for figures on eBay rather than buy it in one bunch, it may sound crazy, but i feel a figure/collection feels more significant if you hunted it down rather than buy them all in one go.

Does anybody feel the same? or am i crazy
    I would put myself in the "Hunting Them Down Over Many Years" category, although the majority of my Transformers come from toy shops and department stores. A minority comes from fairs or eBay. I don't even have an eBay account!

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream212
    Maybe the effect of 'the hunt' has not worn off in my situation, but when i look at my collection i feel that there is a greater sentimental value as i worked hard to acquire each figure rather than buy it in one go.
    There's a lot of sentimental value in my collection since it represents the last 25 years of my life; my childhood, adolesence and adulthood. And yeah, toys acquired post-childhood also represent stuff I worked to get.

IMO the journey is more important than the destination. That's why I was mightily impressed when griffin hit his 2500 mark; not just because it's an incredibly huge number of Transformers that also thematically coincides with the Transformers' 25th anniversary (although that is damn cool), but because I know that it's been a 25 year journey for griffin to reach this destination. Whether you have 100 Transformers or a 1000 Transformers, to me it's the adventure that you have in collecting them that matters more.

Purchasing nearly all of G1 = $26000
    25 years of dedication and passion to Transformers = priceless

hmmm... I think we're analysing 2 distinct issues here.

issue 1: buy in one hit vs over the years
    I'm not saying that it's any better (or worse) to throw money at the issue and buy all the Transformers a person wants in one hit. Certainly, it is more fun to slowly build one's collection and that its the more about the journey than the destination.

What I'm saying is this - there are other things I'd rather do. Like Screamer212, it was real fun for me back in Uni when I had lots of time, but now, there're other things I'd rather do. I'd rather chat with my wife over a nice cup of coffee than thraw eBay for the next 'bargain'. (of course when said wife is sleeping, I can come and have a chat on OZformers, now you won't begrudge me that surely )

issue 2: my estimate cost for 88.4% of G1
    It's just that. I'm not saying its a lot of money, or very little, that's a question of perspective. All I'm saying is that I'm intrigued to find out that it cost me a lot less than I imagined it would/should have cost.

Gok,

It's not about the number either, whether its 100 or 1000. Not really bothered in the least about that. That's why I've never deigned to count my collection in any official or unofficial way. I know the ballpark number of TFs I have - but its just a that, a number. Personally, I'd attach more significance to quality than the number.

I get the 25 years dedication thing.

Don't forget that like you, I, too, was there in 1984 when G1 hit the shelves.

Like many others, I too rushed home from school to catch More Than Meets the Eye Part 1 when it first screened. I dragged my mum to the newsstand every Monday night to buy me a copy of Marvel UK. I cajoled my grandmother to travel an hour on the bus and to pay $18 for the TPB version of Marvel's Transformers Universe. I also almost died to acquire Motormaster.

The memories are priceless. The experience(s) are priceless.

Dedication arguably isn't. Dedication to a self-serving cause (which collecting is), isn't priceless. It's not priceless because it is a value that you ascribe to an action that you can resolve to take, for-your-self.