Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234567891424 ... LastLast

Thread: Government to censor the Internet

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Well you better start believing, this country is being led by an idiot. And all these people who voted for him and are now regretting it, do you really think it would have been better going the other way? Either way you look at it, they are all bad.

Kevin Rudd: The fence post turtle.

Funny how all the misery in the country is at the hands of Labor. Pretty ironic how they are supposed to be the "party of the people".

What the government is trying to do is lay the foundations of a fascist information control regime. The less (or 'more') informed the masses are the easier it is to drive public oppinion to your own ends.

21st Century 'Democractic Freedom' seems to have been gradually turning into 'keep the masses ignorant so that they are easier to manipulate' regime.
    Already in motion. Keeping reading and writing out of the hands of the peasants has been in the works for the last generation. Just look at any current day school kid. They can't write or spell to save their lives.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Why does it have to be mandatory? Not everyone will want to have the internet censored, and those that do already have means of blocking sites that they don't want. Making it mandatory is treating the entire population like children who don't know what they want to find on the internet.

Rather alarmingly, to me this doesn't seem to be particularly unusual for this government, given the Bill Henson case last year and Ruddbot saying his works were repulsive despite having NOT SEEN ANY OF THEM. Stop emulating China so much, Ruddbot!

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    Making it mandatory is treating the entire population like children
    This here is why I support a nanny state. Because people act like children and can't be socially acceptable by themselves.

But this has the ulterior motives behind it of extra control in the form of dictatorship.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    Making it mandatory is treating the entire population like children
    Based on my room I'd say I was a child too
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Funny how all the misery in the country is at the hands of Labor.
    Yeah. The Coalition were all about the hugs and puppies.
    SofaMan - Occasionally Battling Evil with his Mighty Powers of Indolence

Quote Originally Posted by SofaMan View Post
    Yeah. The Coalition were all about the hugs and puppies.
    The problem is that neither Labour nor the Coalition are parties which I can trully get behind and support. Ever since I have been able to vote, I have never wholeheartedly given my vote to either side thinking 'I support what this party stands for' its been mostly about 'Which of these is the lesser evil'.

I am sure that I am not alone when it comes to this.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The problem is that neither Labour nor the Coalition are parties which I can trully get behind and support. Ever since I have been able to vote, I have never wholeheartedly given my vote to either side thinking 'I support what this party stands for' its been mostly about 'Which of these is the lesser evil'.

I am sure that I am not alone when it comes to this.
    You are not, and I agree with you entirely. I was just making sure that if there is manure to be spread, that it is spread evenly. It's easy after only 2 years to forget how mind-buggeringly awful the other lot were as well.

From the President of The Pirate Party (my emphasis):

Hi crew,

Pirate Party Australia has been working hard on getting press releases out and establishing media contacts to spread our message. We are establishing some working groups to plan a fresh round of national protests, and we are working on an overhaul of our IT systems. We are looking at sending members to LAN parties to communicate with the players, and sticking flyers up in city centres, where legally feasible.

So far, we have not touched a cent of the membership fees or donations, and some members are using their own funds on essential services, because we know that every dollar counts.

To those of you who have joined us already, thank you for your support. I know we haven't gotten back to most of you with confirmations, but we do plan to once we have started collating the memberships.

To everyone else, I would like to tell you some hard truths that you might not like to hear.

To fix the world, you have to do more than click some buttons on a website.We appreciate that you did sign up as a preliminary member, but sometimes you have to roll up your sleeves and get a little dirty. In this case, all we are asking you to do is to go through the process of actually printing a document and faxing it. I know it's an old-world effort, but it's really just a few minutes of effort.

For those of you who have not joined because of the money, send me an email at davidcrafti@pirateparty.org.au and we'll see if we can work something out. I grew up dirt poor, so I know what it is like to really not have a few dollars to spare.

For those of you who have not joined due to other issues, just look at yesterday's release of Senator Conroy's Internet censorship report. We don't have time to waste. So far, around 140 people, or about 1 in 10 of the preliminary members have signed up. This is not good enough to affect serious change in Australia. We are trying to protect freedom of speech, but it looks like many of you don't have much to say. You need to get angry, and you need to join, and you need to convince other people to join. You need to do this by painting them a picture of what the world will be like if we don't put up a fight against the slide into tyranny that we are now facing. Ask the historians to imagine what Stalinist Russia would have been like if Stalin had the computing power of today. Tell them about how fragile democracy is and how it can be corrupted by just a few influential people over just a couple of decades. Let the environmentalists know that freedom needs to be protected, because without freedom, we don't have a world worth saving. Tell the libertarians that we are trying to keep the government out of their lives. Inform the concerned parents that we are fighting for their rights to run their own families. If you're in the country, speak to some farmers and tell them that we will stop companies from patenting their seeds. Tell the sick that we'll stop the drug companies from revelling in their pain. Tell the musicians that we will work with them to ensure they can earn good money doing what they love. Tell the trade unionists that we will work to repeal laws that infringe on their freedom of assembly. Let the gamers know that we'll rip out Michael Atkinson's spinal column if he doesn't realise that violent video games don't cause violent behaviour.

OK, maybe not the last one. In fact, I'm not even sure if my freedom of speech rights protect that statement now-a-days, so let me explicitly state that it was a joke that referenced Scorpion's finishing move in Mortal Kombat.

I hope my point is clear. We need you to join Pirate Party Australia, so we can protect our freedom to make the world a better place. You signed up as a preliminary member, so you already agree with our goals, so please make it official.

Regards,

David Crafti,
    President
    Pirate Party Australia

P.S.: Some people have stated a concern about being on the books as affiliated with the party, but the AEC treats the applications as confidential.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Well you better start believing, this country is being led by an idiot. And all these people who voted for him and are now regretting it, do you really think it would have been better going the other way? Either way you look at it, they are all bad.
    I take it back! We're doomed!

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by SofaMan View Post
    I was just making sure that if there is manure to be spread, that it is spread evenly. It's easy after only 2 years to forget how mind-buggeringly awful the other lot were as well.
    QFT!!

John Howard I'm looking at you - shame, shame, shame!!