• Only buy it if cheap

8 16.00%
  • Don't buy it

1 2.00%
  • Doesn't interest me

5 10.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Review 10-003 - TF2 Bludgeon

I'm not sure how you feel about modifying your toys, but someone at TFW2005 posted how to fix up the orange showing in tank mode.

From here:

---------------

Quote Originally Posted by kup
    Also it is not as if G1 Bludgeon fits well with the 1984-85 G1 toys.
    But he does fit in well with other G1 1989 toys, which is the era that he came from! Especially alongside other 1989 Pretenders. IMHO he's the best of the 1989 Pretenders; and that has nothing to do with the character or the way he was portrayed in G1 canon - it's because he has a nifty looking shell (despite the orange), a simple yet efficient transformation (by the standards of the day), and a really good looking alt mode as far as being a robot in disguise (Longtooth's would be the 2nd best by those standards).

A good example of 'Universe' releases that ended up as Movie were the Crankcase, Fracture (Crasher) and Big Daddy releases. It was said that the redecos were conceived for the Universe line as representations of their G1 characters (Gobots on one) but Walmart or some other store demanded more Movie toys so they were instead packaged as such.
    My Big Daddy is on my movie Autobot shelf.

Given that the decision of assigning a toy to a line is more motivated by marketing or store demands rather than proper thought on where the figure best fits from a design intention and character point of view - The package that Hasbro assigns it means very little to me, specially in the last couple of years. Another example on odd line assignations and why it would be hard to be strict about where hasbro places a figure are the Animated legends which were released in Universe Packaging while the Animated line was still on the shelf. It would be very hard for a strict 'package based' collector to assign them as Universe on the shelf instead of Animated as they would look very odd with Universe.
    Good point about the Universe Animated Legends.

Bludgeon appears to be a design originally intended for Classics or at least as a direct representation or 'update' of the original character - There is some art work that does suggest this. It seems that only before a hard copy was due to be made, did they decide to put it in the movie verse and added certain detailing and somewhat peripheral movie features (such as mech alive) on his limbs to make it fit better.

Aside from Bludgeon's limbs and very 'added on' mech alive features - It is a very clunkly, square and blocky toy which does go against the mouch rounder and slim organic movie designs.
    I agree with this. But the end result is that Bludgeon is a "hybrid" movie-Classics/Universe toy so it's quite subjective as to which one he looks more like.

While I can see the Classics/Universe elements on this toy, according to my own personal perception he looks more like a movie toy to me. The fact that he's packaged as a ROTF toy further reinforces my reasons to categorise him as a movie toy over being a Classics toy because of the chronologically based way that I sort my toys.

If he looks more like a Classics/Universe toy to you and you therefore wish to sort him that way, then that's cool too. He's like one of those optical illusions (e.g. Rubin's Vase).

I got my TT version in the post the other day. Imust say I am impressed. I think he has better face paint than hasbros. Will get some pics up after tomorrow. Floppy swords, but they are still cool and I like the way you can stick them on his waist.

Also dig the chest as it has a skull motif too. However I dont like his bio very much, they seem to have chosen a "forgotten jungle soldier" theme, even going so far as to mention south east asia. Is bludgeon a japanese WW2 vet?

Aside from my minor niggle with the bio, I likey.

Some pics of Tak toms bludgeon.

I like it in that he can reach across his body for his swords.

Face shot

Chest has funky skull look to it too.
    \

"I have failed you Megatron!"

The way the armour is set, and the way his face is moulded, it almost looks as if the outside is detachable. Have a look in this last shot at his eye and it almost looks like the skull is a type of helmet and another layer hides within!

Extra pics here, with tanks and accessories

Is there a difference between the Japanese and Hasbro release?

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Is there a difference between the Japanese and Hasbro release?
    Intially I thought the face paint was a bit more subtle on TT over Hasbro, but I dont think that is the case so much anymore. From my experience between the two, TT has slightly better paint apps on the one that I have both versions, which admittedly is Ransack. The paint on the top of the wings is IMO applied more cleanly.

So, not really all that much difference

hmmm I hoped that TT would chrome the swords, but yeah they didnt, ah well. Mebbe they'd release a "premium" repaint? hopefully
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    hmmm I hoped that TT would chrome the swords, but yeah they didnt, ah well. Mebbe they'd release a "premium" repaint? hopefully
    The swords are soft "bendy" plastic, since the long one has to bend slightly to stow. It'll be almost impossible to chrome them. Hold out for a more metallic soft paint, perhaps?

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    The swords are soft "bendy" plastic, since the long one has to bend slightly to stow. It'll be almost impossible to chrome them. Hold out for a more metallic soft paint, perhaps?
    As well as that, the swords both have scabbards, which would just scrape off the chrome. His main Katana goes into the turret in tank mode and its a pretty tight fit.

Having pulled his head apart, I can safely say there ain't another hidden layer behind the skull face. The eyes are just sculpted to look that way. They would have made for some great light piping if they actually did it. Judging from the colour (grey) there mustve beenother pieces on the same mould sprue that would have looked nice in a clear colour...

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther