View Poll Results: What is your main source of Transformer toys?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying / Trading via the forums and fan meetups

13 27.66%
  • Second-hand toy shops / Garage sales

4 8.51%
  • Ebay or other online websites

30 63.83%
  • None of the above (please specify)

10 21.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your main source of Transformer toys?

I was referring to those that have continued to buy through retail outlets without the need to resort to online for back-collecting thus demonstrating they have been able to keep pace with the hobby and potentially have been doing this since day one e.g. Goki.

I myself only got back into collecting Transformers about 7 years ago which means, for me anyway, places like Ebay are my main source as I am now playing 'catch-up'.

Sorry if I didn't make sense before
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I mostly buy through eBay as well as get what I can through retail stores.
    Sort of tricky when all they have is mostly RotF stuff, not really an interest for me.
    I don't have any friends into TFs and havn't been around long enough to be buying or trading with other members.
    I havn't tried any other online stores yet, still gathering intel
    Forgive a newbie question, but what are these fairs (like Penrith and Parramatta) of which I see mentioned?
    I have a feeling I'm going to need all the help I can get...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I myself only got back into collecting Transformers about 7 years ago which means, for me anyway, places like Ebay are my main source as I am now playing 'catch-up'.
    lol, think you have it bad, I'm trying to play catch up on all those years and only started about 3-4 months ago

The Penriff Fair thing is new and afaik only a handful of members like i_amtrunks and mknell have checked it out. I personally have never been to one so I can't comment.

The Parramatta Collectables Fair (although it was _once_ held in Broadway... heh) is pretty much what the title says; it's a Fair for various kinds of collectables: Transformers, Star Wars, MotU, G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Lost In Space, posters etc. Past fairs also had collectable cards (including sport cards), music records, comic books and other non-toy collectables, but these vendors have slowly disappeared. The same people who run the Fair now run a separate Music Collectables Fair. Their official site is here (note: Despite the fact that they still display Case Fresh's logo on their site, Case Fresh has not been a vendor at the Fair for several years now)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The Penriff Fair thing is new and afaik only a handful of members like i_amtrunks and mknell have checked it out. I personally have never been to one so I can't comment.
    I went to the last one, wasn't great. Mainly caters for Die Cast cars and whatnot collectors.

The Parramatta Collectables Fair (although it was _once_ held in Broadway... heh) is pretty much what the title says; it's a Fair for various kinds of collectables: Transformers, Star Wars, MotU, G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Lost In Space, posters etc. Past fairs also had collectable cards (including sport cards), music records, comic books and other non-toy collectables, but these vendors have slowly disappeared. The same people who run the Fair now run a separate Music Collectables Fair. Their official site is here (note: Despite the fact that they still display Case Fresh's logo on their site, Case Fresh has not been a vendor at the Fair for several years now)
    There has always been a Music Fair been run, usually the weekend after the Collectors Fair. And has it really been that long since Case Fresh stopped doing it?

The only non retail toys im collecting are Beast Wars so i maninly use ebay and other sites.
    Retail for ROTF and Movie figs.

Stories like this make me feel relieved that I buy most of my Transformers from the shops. You don't get these kinds of issues when shopping in a store and you can inspect the toy first hand yourself. If the toy happens to be defective then you can easily return it to the store for an exchange or refund. You also don't need to wait for shipping or worry about the toy being damaged or lost in transit because the toy is right there in your hands to take home.

IMO shops offer greater comfort and security compared to purchasing online. Having said that, purchasing online can sometimes be easier when you're getting something that you've been unable to find in local stores. Toy hunting can be a massive pain in the bum (and a big waste of time and fuel) when you drive great distances to look for a toy in hopes of finding it (which can also be really emotionally draining and downright frustrating to the point that you want to put your hand through a wall!). Both shopping online and in stores offer pros and cons, but in the majority of cases I prefer buying in stores. I suspect that I'm probably the only person here who doesn't have an eBay account.
    I agree with GoktimusPrime in regards to going to the shops, generally its instant gratification for me, it there in my hands and i don't have to wait weeks to get it to my doorstep.I'm lucky where i live within a 15min drive there are 3 major shopping centers so with any luck i general get what im looking for or if my wifes out at one of them she will have a look for me because she knows what im looking for.

Ebay do's have some advantages.theres thing you just cant buy here in Australia that you can get from ebay and generally at a good price...

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I was referring to those that have continued to buy through retail outlets without the need to resort to online for back-collecting thus demonstrating they have been able to keep pace with the hobby and potentially have been doing this since day one e.g. Goki.

Sorry if I didn't make sense before
    I'm in a similar boat to Gok, but I understand you now.
    SofaMan - Occasionally Battling Evil with his Mighty Powers of Indolence

I used to have a sizeable G1 collection that was bought from retail, before my mum gave them all away in early 1990.

Most of my series 1 to 3 TFs were obtained at the Clarke Quay flea markets in Singapore (happens every Sunday) during 1999 to 2002. Not to be fooled by the name, the 'flea market' was actually an awesome vintage toy market that happens every Sunday - imagine Parra Fair, but times 5 in size and with 10 times as much G1. Even the owners of Robo-Robo and eBay seller Anglo used to sell there. (this has evolved into the China Square Central Sunday markets, but that pales in comparison to Clarke Quay)

Obviously, I was doing a lot of trading with the people I met there too.

Very soon, eBay became my main source of G1 TFs because it was becoming increasingly difficult to obtain, from shops and fellow collectors, G1 figures in the condition (box, toy, paperworks) I aspire them to be.

I also try to fill gaps in my collection when I go back to Singapore, travel to HK or in recent case in point, to Japan.

Recently, I filled a good number of gaps by hammering eBay mercilessly, from jgon's G1 MIB sale and from my trip to Tokyo.

Could not find another relevant thread on the forums that compares shopping locally and online so I'm using this one.

When I first started colleting TFs only three years ago I was very active with shopping locally and perhaps the odd ebay purchase now and then. But now, after developing a trust with online toy sites and acquiring a cc I really only shop online. Every now and then I do go to a flea market hoping to find an old tf gem at a bargain price but I do kind of miss going out to stores frequently to look for new toys and to be dissapointed at most times. Sometimes though I'd be lucky enough to spot brand new toys. Ah well, guess I had more time back then when I didn't have a full-time job

The local scene is garbage, it's online or bust.