Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Twist Ties on figures

I must say I'm pretty happy aboot this twist tie development...

Well done Hasbro...

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I think it may be fine as long as they stay in the box (which they would )

I can't imagine that they would deteriorate in the box.
    I don't understand why they can't do it like Takara-Tomy often does with two halves of the bubble securing the figure with no twist ties. Since the bubble is the same shape as the figure, there is no way that it'll move out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I don't understand why they can't do it like Takara-Tomy often does with two halves of the bubble securing the figure with no twist ties. Since the bubble is the same shape as the figure, there is no way that it'll move out of place.
    In Hasbro's eyes, they probably see that as too much packaging. They did state they wanted to reduce the packaging (to save money and the environment )

Though, I can't see why they shouldn't, like with Universe Inferno. That box just had alot of wasted space inside it.

In Hasbro's eyes, they probably see that as too much packaging. They did state they wanted to reduce the packaging (to save money and the environment )

Though, I can't see why they shouldn't, like with Universe Inferno. That box just had alot of wasted space inside it.
    If anything Hasbro packaging is much more excessive and pointless than Tak-Tom's. Less effective if you ask me as although the Japanese packaging such as Henkei may be smaller, they make better use of colors to make the toy stand out.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it may be fine as long as they stay in the box (which they would )

I can't imagine that they would deteriorate in the box.
    Me too lol. I think biodegradable would mean long term exposure to bacteria (in the soil or in the atmosphere?) and thus breaking down naturally. Can't compare landfill site conditions to well shaded room temperature / cool storage. But it would be funny if future MISB collectors had to sit and slowly watch as their figures untied themselves in the box

I didn't really notice twisty ties were the norm with modern transformers till I read this thread lol. Beats the plastic bubble seal of the 80's IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    Nonetheless, I think it's a change for the better, not just for the environment, but us collectors in general (with the exception of those that want to keep the packaging in order to re-place the figures back in at a later date).
    I have found it almost impossible to put Hasbro figures back in their box, mainly due to the twist ties and love of gluing the bubble to the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    I can still remeber the horror upon opening my Energon Unicron. it must have been 2 kilos of twist ties keeping it in place, sheesh, and I didnt have wire cutters back then took me ages to get rid of it all. Good move on Hasbro.
    LOL, I remember trying to get mt korean RID Fort Maxx out of his. I reckon I was clipping/twisting wires for an hour or so on that alone. I was too tired to play with it right away once I finally had it out of the boxx.

I would like to see a reduction in box sizes, the amount of times I have seen about 5cm of soace under a leader classes feet, just to make it look impressive makes me shake my head in disbelief...

I think twist ties are used more as a theft deterrent, which would partially explain why the Japanese don't bother (lower crime rates).

If anything Hasbro packaging is much more excessive and pointless than Tak-Tom's. Less effective if you ask me as although the Japanese packaging such as Henkei may be smaller, they make better use of colors to make the toy stand out.
    This size thing is true of most Western vs Japanese packaging i think (except Yamato toys!). Whilst i personally prefer Japanese packaging in almost all instances, i think 'shelf presence' is much greater with the western ones - you know when you walk into an isle and all you can see is TF branding (or ben10 green!) - there's hardly any of that in Japan. Even the biggest brand like Gundam is a scattered array of individually awesome boxarts, but together it all looks like a huge mess!

This is good news. Twist ties were terrible not just because they were very hard to remove but also potentially damaged the paint or caused scratches in some figures.

They are dangerous too, in more than a couple of occations one has gone under my nail or poked me causing some slight bleeding while removing them.
    Really? You hurt yourself with twist ties? What were you doing?

I love twist ties. I'll come out and say it -- I remember in the 80s when I was growing up you'd see, all the damned time, toys pulled out of their package, toys with missing accessories or just generally toys on shelves looking terrible.

Twist ties, and better secured packaging like we have now has pretty much killed that. On-shelf vandalism is pretty much non-existant nowadays. You don't have to worry aobut your Transformer missing a gun when you get him home.

I don't understand how a Transformer fan could possibly struggle with twist ties. All you need to do is use wire cutters, snip around the knot, then pull them out. I've never, ever, damaged a toy or myself with twist ties.

You'd have to be kinda clumsy.

--Jhiaxus.
    (I have scratched a toy's paint with wire cutters -- learned that lesson quickly. Cut around the twisted section against the box so you're never cutting at plastic.)

But sometimes the twist ties are in really difficult to get places. Like Combiner Class Devastator... I felt like a surgeon reaching my hand into crevices just to try and cut the ties, and while doing it I'm scratching parts of the toy with my wire cutters.

so... Hasbro has decided to use biodegradable string eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhiaxus View Post
    Really? You hurt yourself with twist ties? What were you doing?

I love twist ties. I'll come out and say it -- I remember in the 80s when I was growing up you'd see, all the damned time, toys pulled out of their package, toys with missing accessories or just generally toys on shelves looking terrible.

Twist ties, and better secured packaging like we have now has pretty much killed that. On-shelf vandalism is pretty much non-existant nowadays. You don't have to worry aobut your Transformer missing a gun when you get him home.

I don't understand how a Transformer fan could possibly struggle with twist ties. All you need to do is use wire cutters, snip around the knot, then pull them out. I've never, ever, damaged a toy or myself with twist ties.

You'd have to be kinda clumsy.

--Jhiaxus.
    (I have scratched a toy's paint with wire cutters -- learned that lesson quickly. Cut around the twisted section against the box so you're never cutting at plastic.)
    Do you collect Titaniums?