Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Quote Originally Posted by kgb2005 View Post
    Thank you for that bit of information. Just wanted to know I was planning on doing my G1 Jetfire a figure I have had since I was a child and was curious to know how bad would the chemical react with the red paint and the other material and colors on jetfire?
    I think somebody tried it on a Jetfire but I can't find the thread.

Here is the original thread but several linked photos have now gone broken:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...light=peroxide

Edit: The Jetfire pics are actually in the pioneering article here:

http://www.thetf.net/forum_posts-TID-13204-PN-1.htm

It seems that its paint is unaffected.

Wasnt it the damned who tried it on jetfire? Cant be certain but I think it was him... from what I can recall no probs with the red, but then I dont recall how long he kept it in the bath.

Youll need to have about 3-4 days of strong sunlight otherwise its gonna take a while before the yellowing really goes. Some of the TFs Ive done this still has yellowing on some parts coz Im too squeamish to take them apart and I dont have a big enough jar.... so fr theyve kept their whiteness level.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Just a note i did this to my Blurr and i put it outside pretty much during the hottest day during summer for a few days and when it dried it lightened the plastic from dark blue to a sky blue. Don't know if it was because i put it outside or not or because i kept opening it to see if it has worked yet but id keep it near the window sill and let it do its job slowly unlike my self who was really impatient and wanted it straight away.

Just curious to know, how would one remove the stickers all off them include those ones that you rub as well (to get the autobot symbol or decepticon symbol to show) removed from the figure so that you can whiten the figure with the chemical. It's just I don't want to have a ruined rub sticker as I love those stickers and well if i can get a new one to replace it that's awesome! But if you know of any way please do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by kgb2005 View Post
    Just curious to know, how would one remove the stickers all off them include those ones that you rub as well (to get the autobot symbol or decepticon symbol to show) removed from the figure so that you can whiten the figure with the chemical. It's just I don't want to have a ruined rub sticker as I love those stickers and well if i can get a new one to replace it that's awesome! But if you know of any way please do tell.
    Reprolabels sells functional replacement rubsigns:

http://reprolabels.com/Symbols/rsaut.php

Sometimes you can remove the rubsign successfully without ruining it but like jgon mentioned, if the glue has cured too much there is nothing you can do.

Thankyou for that bit of information guys.

those repro rubsigns are crap. i've got some at home.

you're better off jacking a rubsign from the TF classics figures. they are also much easier to lift from the figure wihtout damage cos like what jgon said, the glue hasnt had enough time to "cure" on the classics figures.

Here is a summary of my attempt at fixing my recently acquired yellowed Vroom.

The condition that I received Vroom. The white parts were yellowed throughout with bits of discoloration on his arms:

I placed him in a Hyrdrogen Peroxide filled glass jar and left him for a whole night and a full day. I removed his legs so that he would fit in the jar (the only part of Vroom that can be safely disassembled).

When I got home in the evening this is the result:

He has regained 90% of his original color but still has a bit to go on the right side of his chest. The results are better than I expected despite the cloudy day. I will keep him in the jar until tomorrow so that he can whiten throughout but as you can see, it is already a considerable improvement.

There was also no damage to his paint whatsoever.
    Last edited by kup; 10th March 2010 at 01:21 PM.

gosh, that's almost a beauty now!

Just a bit more on the right and it'll look great.