Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

nice nice! How did you touch up the scratched up gold parts?

Couple of things I've found in my experiments with H2O2:

Blue, red and purple plastics (maybe others) tend to bleach if left in too long - an hour or two in a jar of 35% strength in the sun is plenty.

35% H2O2 doesn't seem to damage stickers, bizarrely. I've chucked a few G1 figures in the good stuff for several hours and found it's had little to no affect on the decals, when I was expecting them to turn to mush.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHandsomeCrab View Post
    Couple of things I've found in my experiments with H2O2:

Blue, red and purple plastics (maybe others) tend to bleach if left in too long - an hour or two in a jar of 35% strength in the sun is plenty.

35% H2O2 doesn't seem to damage stickers, bizarrely. I've chucked a few G1 figures in the good stuff for several hours and found it's had little to no affect on the decals, when I was expecting them to turn to mush.
    I have seen this recently on a blue toy but it doesn't seem apply to all plastic of that color. My severely discolored Dogfight managed to regain its blue very nicely but my yellowed Aimless didn't fare as well.

Aimless ended up with a washed out blue which is arguably better than the 'yellowed' color but still looks off. What I found interesting was that the back of him which was unaffected by yellowing maintained its natural blue despite being submerged in the H2O2.

Just curious, can you keep the jar of hydrogen peroxide and reuse it over and over?

Quote Originally Posted by Oilspill View Post
    Just curious, can you keep the jar of hydrogen peroxide and reuse it over and over?
    Yes you can. Just make sure the lid is sealed so that it doesn't evaporate out.

just wanted to confirm what kup has said and that you CAN reuse the peroxide multiple times.

It also works on coloured plastics too.

sunlight is not always constant over here atm so im currently using a UV lamp indoors. im also using a motorised jewellery display turntable to allow even exposure to the UV.

the results have been pretty good so far.

however, i've got a question for those who say that they've used 35% concentration. do you mean 35 vol and not 35%?

how are you guys obtaining this? the max i can buy is 6% / 20vol?

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post

how are you guys obtaining this? the max i can buy is 6% / 20vol?
    I have never found more than that amount. I would also be interested in a higher concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    nice nice! How did you touch up the scratched up gold parts?
    I have a gold 'Gundam Marker' paint men that matches it close enough.