Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by kgb2005 View Post
    Umm this might sound stupid but this will also destroy any sticker work right?
    It doesn't destroy them but it does loosen them off. However you can always reattach them with some glue paste. And there is always Reprolabels.

Regardless, keep in mind that a stickerless toy is much better looking than a yellowed stickered one.
    Last edited by kup; 23rd February 2010 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    It doesn't destroy them but it does loosen them off. However you can always reattach them with some glue paste. And there is always Reprolabels.

Regardless, keep in mind that a stickerless toy is much better looking than a yellowed stickered one.
    unless you have yellow fever :P

(couldnt help myself)

Thank you for that bit of information. Just wanted to know I was planning on doing my G1 Jetfire a figure I have had since I was a child and was curious to know how bad would the chemical react with the red paint and the other material and colors on jetfire?

This has been mentioned in the past, I'll bump it again.

The peroxide will 'deactivate' the rub-sign. However, I would highly recommend not to try and peel off the rub-sign, as more likely than not, you'll end up removing the transparency instead of the actual full 'decal', (reason: the glue under the decal has had 20 years to 'cure', i.e. difficult to peel off cleanly in one go) the omission of the transparency will also 'de-activate' the rub-sign. So your better off with a peroxided rub-sign than a disgustingly handled one, leaving you to make efficient use of your saliva to remove the remaining residual.

I really really doubt the above would deter anyone from applying this method as a reborn whitened toy > no rub-sign toy anyday.

Thanks for the tute, Kup. You say to leave it in there for a few days, so what happens at night? Is it worth removing the pieces from the jar, drying them off then putting them back in the next day or just leave it all in there until tender and juicy?

I have a few pieces I would like to try this on as well, so is it a wash rinse repeat sort of thing if need be? Should you rinse the piece off with water afterwards, or pat dry, or air dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Thanks for the tute, Kup. You say to leave it in there for a few days, so what happens at night? Is it worth removing the pieces from the jar, drying them off then putting them back in the next day or just leave it all in there until tender and juicy?
    You can try putting the jar under a fluorescent light or simply leave it there until the sun comes out the next day. You don't have to remove the pieces until the whole process is done.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    I have a few pieces I would like to try this on as well, so is it a wash rinse repeat sort of thing if need be? Should you rinse the piece off with water afterwards, or pat dry, or air dry?
    I just take them away from sunlight and let them dry by themselves.
    Last edited by kup; 23rd February 2010 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kgb2005 View Post
    Thank you for that bit of information. Just wanted to know I was planning on doing my G1 Jetfire a figure I have had since I was a child and was curious to know how bad would the chemical react with the red paint and the other material and colors on jetfire?
    I think somebody tried it on a Jetfire but I can't find the thread.

Here is the original thread but several linked photos have now gone broken:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...light=peroxide

Edit: The Jetfire pics are actually in the pioneering article here:

http://www.thetf.net/forum_posts-TID-13204-PN-1.htm

It seems that its paint is unaffected.

Wasnt it the damned who tried it on jetfire? Cant be certain but I think it was him... from what I can recall no probs with the red, but then I dont recall how long he kept it in the bath.

Youll need to have about 3-4 days of strong sunlight otherwise its gonna take a while before the yellowing really goes. Some of the TFs Ive done this still has yellowing on some parts coz Im too squeamish to take them apart and I dont have a big enough jar.... so fr theyve kept their whiteness level.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Just a note i did this to my Blurr and i put it outside pretty much during the hottest day during summer for a few days and when it dried it lightened the plastic from dark blue to a sky blue. Don't know if it was because i put it outside or not or because i kept opening it to see if it has worked yet but id keep it near the window sill and let it do its job slowly unlike my self who was really impatient and wanted it straight away.