Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 213136373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Just discovered this thread, and excited at the prospect of whitening G1 toys.
    But its a little hard to follow - one link said UV exposure was the cause, so wouldn't putting your hydrogen peroxide bath in the sun discolour the parts that aren't yellowed?

Will it still work in peroxide bath in the absence of sunlight? If you left it longer or more concentrated?
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

as far as I understand (I've never done it myself) putting the Peroxide bath in the sun will activate the solution making the process much faster.

I do believe there is a caveat with this in that if you expose your plastic to the active peroxide for too long you will (I think) damage the surface of the plastic.

yellowing by exposure to sunlight is something that happens over months/years, a couple hours exposure will have no noticeable effect on the parts.

I believe you can leave the bath in the dark but the process will then take days
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

If you're in no rush to de-yellow your item than it doesn't need to be in direct sunlight to work. Just de-yellowed my VF-1S and currently doing my VF-1A, all the while it never was in direct sunlight. Patience goes a long way.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

How many uses can you get out of one lot peroxide
    Xbox Live - Morgatron84
    PSN - Bullzye111
    Twitter- Morgatron84

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaber View Post
    How many uses can you get out of one lot peroxide
    Used mine 3 times so far and no problems. One thing though, if your item has heavy yellowing, these will form clumps that will gather at the bottom of your jug/jar. I had to filter the peroxide before I could use it again.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Used mine 3 times so far and no problems. One thing though, if your item has heavy yellowing, these will form clumps that will gather at the bottom of your jug/jar. I had to filter the peroxide before I could use it again.
    Thanks for that I recently did my g1 ratchet which came up amazing and my g1 starscream is currently soaking and looking better by the day
    Xbox Live - Morgatron84
    PSN - Bullzye111
    Twitter- Morgatron84

Bumping this cos i have a generations metroplex that i bought cheap and is rather yellowed. Where can i get a heap if the peroxide reasonably cheap?

Question: will hydrogen peroxide clean up sun damage on blue plastic? Got a generations Blurr that needs fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Question: will hydrogen peroxide clean up sun damage on blue plastic? Got a generations Blurr that needs fixing.
    I did the sun-damaged light blue pieces on a vintage Scourge and they came up better, but not perfect. I’ve had better results with white plastic. But there was definitely an improvement.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Tried my hand at bleaching plastic for the first time today. A Masterpiece Ratchet of all things too.
    Grabbed a junker online for $30 (I kid you not) and bleached the parts I needed from that so I can still go back to the parts of my original one if I need to.
    For the moment I'm only worried about the area around the neck and the left foot (oddly, the left foot on both my one and the junker had some yellowing).
    Left the bits in hydrogen peroxide for a few hours today and they had whitened to a satisfactory level. I'm happy with it now.

Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.