Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More KOs to be careful of - G1 Sideswipe, Red Alert, Defensor

I know some of these parts are the exact same, does this mean that if the KO's keep going on like this that it will be harder to tell the real G1's from the fakes?

Ohh sorry about the double post. I forgot to tell you guys that the bot I have funny thing it is called "Griffin-System"

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Aarrggh! I instinctively started reading the ensuing discussion on TFW2005. My eyes! MY EYES!
    I did the same and now I have total contempt for humanity.

I also read the article on TFW and noticed a comment that I found very interesting...

Well, the reason I collect them is this:

I am 34 years old with 2 kids. I have had TFs in my life since 1984. Although my wife and I both work, I don't have the cash to go throw around on an orignal G1 toy. The reissues provide me with a cheaper alternative for getting the collection back that I had as a kid. In cases where I know they won't/can't reissue a figure, then I will get the KO, BUT...it has the be the high quality look-alike version, otherwise it just isn't worth it to me. It's a nostalgia thing for me I suppose. Only ones I have are Shockwave, Sunstreaker, Mirage & the Devastator giftset.
    I've always looked at both sides of the KO argument and have wondered what makes someone want to 'collect' KO's. From the above perspective, I can kind of understand 'why'.

I'm not trying to open this up to debate whether it's right or wrong (cause God only knows, it's been done to death), but having a wife and kids myself I can relate somewhat.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I also read the article on TFW and noticed a comment that I found very interesting...

I've always looked at both sides of the KO argument and have wondered what makes someone want to 'collect' KO's. From the above perspective, I can kind of understand 'why'.

I'm not trying to open this up to debate whether it's right or wrong (cause God only knows, it's been done to death), but having a wife and kids myself I can relate somewhat.
    But the 'KO reissues' aren't cheap and can even cost more than a complete loose sample.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    But the 'KO reissues' aren't cheap and can even cost more than a complete loose sample.
    You're right, they aren't cheap, but in some cases they are 'cheaper' than an original plus they 'look' brand new. Some well known KO websites sell them with the option of buying them MISB or loose to cut down on shipping costs.

*Disclaimer* I do not condone the making, selling, or distribution of KO products for the sole purpose of deceiving unknowing buyers and collectors
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I am very new to collecting G1 transformers and have been looking for a new Re-issue Sideswipe (plus a couple of others) in OZ with no luck Even the overseas versions of Sideswipe are rare and very expensive. Would I be a ostracised forever if I bought a knock off?

Quote Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
    I am very new to collecting G1 transformers and have been looking for a new Re-issue Sideswipe (plus a couple of others) in OZ with no luck Even the overseas versions of Sideswipe are rare and very expensive. Would I be a ostracised forever if I bought a knock off?
    No, but deep in your heart whenever you look at it and play with it, you'll always have that niggling feeling, "its a fake , its a fake!" Plus if your gonna spend money on it anyways go for the original. The figure is worth it, for you to waste your hard earned cash on Fakes, isnt.
    Last edited by liegeprime; 20th April 2010 at 12:02 AM.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

People can buy what ever they want, just as long as they don't try to resell it as an original, or try to convince others that it is better to buy replica toys instead of legit ones.
    People who have limited funds, or affections with certain rare toys, sometimes buy a counterfeit toy, as a substitue until they can afford the real thing.

And I wouldn't have any problem with someone using a counterfeit toy for customising, so that it doesn't take a real (and sometimes rare) toy out of circulation.

I'd rather not have a toy at all rather than substitute what I don't have with a counterfeit.

There's a thread where the morals/ethics of collecting knockoffs was extensively debated here.