Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More KOs to be careful of - G1 Sideswipe, Red Alert, Defensor

If the originals are out of your price range then it's up to you, I'm sure no one on here will give you dirty looks if you have one. It's a catch 22 situation, the reason the KO's are around is because all of the sclapers trying to screw all the money out of you, if people were fair on their pricing then people would be less inclined to lean towards the KO's. I must admit I don't have any KO's myself but that is because I bought a lot of my items off the shelf when they were new

Quote Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
    I am very new to collecting G1 transformers and have been looking for a new Re-issue Sideswipe (plus a couple of others) in OZ with no luck Even the overseas versions of Sideswipe are rare and very expensive. Would I be a ostracised forever if I bought a knock off?
    If you're patient, it's not hard to find a shipped MISB Sideswipe reissue for $100 or less (and you should be able to get a loose one for half that.) I don't know how much the knockoffs are, but it would be well worth the difference.

I have seen Knock offs go for as much as vintage figures which is ridiculous. You are better off buying a reissue or good condition complete vintage figure off ebay and the price won't be much different.

I have a KO Swoop to replace my crusty G1 Swoop. Nothing wrong with it. Well made and is a perfect copy. All the story's about the bad quality etc... Well none to find with this one. Best part is you have to know a good place to get them. $40 was a good price Just dont look on ebay.

I dont care if its right or wrong I just wanted a NEW complete Swoop end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    I have a KO Swoop to replace my crusty G1 Swoop. Nothing wrong with it. Well made and is a perfect copy. All the story's about the bad quality etc... Well none to find with this one. Best part is you have to know a good place to get them. $40 was a good price Just dont look on ebay.

I dont care if its right or wrong I just wanted a NEW complete Swoop end of story.
    Yeah I always suspected that they were every bit as good as any official reissue when it comes to quality - And that's the problem.

There is no way to tell this thing from a real one in loose condition on an ebay auction.

There are some differences between a legit G1 Swoop and the KO, but it all depends on what the individual is happy with or willing to accept.

Below are the main differences -

* Factory applied stickers are not applied. They come on a sticker sheet instead.
    * Toy itself is relatively low quality. Soft plastic was used, the toy doesn't fit together well, and it's generally lose.
    * The red paint on the diecast chips very easily.
    * The head it comes assembled with is not painted. Subsequent runs included an extra painted head in the package that can be swapped out with the unpainted head.
    * Some of the initial run comes with Grimlock's sword instead of Swoop's sword.
    * The launchers do not fit on one of the wings.

The above does not include comparisons made between a legit MIB Swoop and a MIB KO. See here for a detailed guide.

Personally, I do not care how someone goes about their collecting or make any moral judgements about anyone.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    There are some differences between a legit G1 Swoop and the KO, but it all depends on what the individual is happy with or willing to accept.

Below are the main differences -

* Factory applied stickers are not applied. They come on a sticker sheet instead.
    * Toy itself is relatively low quality. Soft plastic was used, the toy doesn't fit together well, and it's generally lose.
    * The red paint on the diecast chips very easily.
    * The head it comes assembled with is not painted. Subsequent runs included an extra painted head in the package that can be swapped out with the unpainted head.

The above does not include comparisons made between a legit MIB Swoop and a MIB KO. See here for a detailed guide.

Personally, I do not care how someone goes about their collecting or make any moral judgements about anyone.
    Think things have changed since then.

Yep thats true and I had the Joy of putting them all on myself. LOVE THAT

* Toy itself is relatively low quality. Soft plastic was used, the toy doesn't fit together well, and it's generally lose

Nope, Only the sword and missiles are softer plastic. But it matches up perfect with my G1. Fits together every bit as well as the original. Nice tight joints. Even the wings dont flop around.

* The red paint on the diecast chips very easily

Nope no paint troubles as of yet.

Well my one had a painted and assembled head. But I did remove and replace with a original Swoop head just for fun

Came with Swoop sword

Mine fit just fine.

The differences are so small between the two. You actualy find more changes in any Hasbro or Takara reissue.

Again not licensed Bad KO BAD. But I love my Swoop and I will be getting more even if I have the original and trust me I do. Its like I have found a long lost 1980's toyshop.

Congrats Vert. Sounds like you were fortunate enough to get yourself the third release of Swoop with the corrected launchers and painted head.

I know quite a few other people that haven't been so lucky and have suffered the poor QC issues mentioned above. Oh well, it is after all a KO and like any other facsimile, it will never be as good as the original product but it can sometimes make a decent substitute. Like I said before, it's up to the individual on what makes them happy
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Guess the trick is not to get them as soon as they come out so they can work the bugs out. But like I said its better than a Hasbro reissue thats for sure

Oh and I dont have the problem with the red Dino foot sticking out. Guess they fixed that too

I also see these as a great supply of new parts for restoring my originals. he,he,he
    Last edited by VERT; 25th April 2010 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Yeah I always suspected that they were every bit as good as any official reissue when it comes to quality - And that's the problem.

There is no way to tell this thing from a real one in loose condition on an ebay auction.
    I don't agree, There is ONE way. That's age wear. If there's a loose swoop that has a few paint dings, and lifting (if not removed stickers), or some chrome missing from the wings then it's gotta be real. However if you're after a mint condition one...then it gets a lot harder. Not impossible, but since you only got photos to go by, it makes it a lot harder