Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bay interview

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous
    How about a "factional war" between the Decepticons on
    Earth with the autobots and humans caught in the middle.
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sofaman
    The great tragedy of this discussion is that you are all raising ideas. 'Ideas' are not really Bay's thing.
    Unless the ideas are coming from teenage boys. According to Bay in the ROTF DVD Special Features, he got the idea of shooting Mikaela straddling over the motorbike after a conversation with some teenagers at a store.

Unfortunately appealing to the lowest common denominator works really well for Bay. My brother's fiancée told me that when they saw ROTF in a London cinema, almost every guy wolf-whistled really loudly at that scene. (-_-)

Of course, a good director is able to make a film that is _both_ entertaining (without needing to be crass) *and* have a really interesting story. e.g.: Miyazaki Hayao. I love how movies like Spirited Away, seemingly simple, is actually incredibly deep and meaningful.

Bay's film production is about 2 words - NEW and MORE. Never mind that old or less might produce a better story, that's not what it's about for Bay.
    Funny when you compare the original Star Wars trilogy with the prequel trilogy. The original movies, made with miniatures and puppets, are widely considered to be vastly superior to the prequels that were made with state-of-the-art digital effects.

Special effects are nothing more than a tool to tell a story. A lot of great stories have been told with nothing more then words printed on paper, and were already quite successful in their own right as books long before film adaptations were made (e.g.: William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, J.R.R. Tolkien, Jane Austen, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, C.S. Lewis, Edgar Allan Poe, Harper Lee, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells et al.) -- Homer's Odyssey and the Iliad were written some 28 centuries ago yet are still widely considered to be literary classics today.

Having said all that, I find the special effects in Transformers and ROTF to be really well done!

Of course, it wouldn't be a chat about an upcoming effects-heavy blockbuster without some discussion of 3-D. Anyone who doesn't think "Avatar" changed the game needs to pay more attention: everyone's been talking about it, considering it, putting plans into action, Bay included.
    Umm... there's already been some influence between Transformers and Avatar with that "roaming 3D virtual capture camera" -- I dunno what the real name for it is, but both Michael Bay and James Cameron used it for ROTF and Avatar. It's about the size of a steering wheel with a screen in the middle and two handles on either side. They hold it like the Matrix and walk around an empty space while the camera tracks the movement and allows the director to move the camera in virtual space.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Umm... there's already been some influence between Transformers and Avatar with that "roaming 3D virtual capture camera" -- I dunno what the real name for it is, but both Michael Bay and James Cameron used it for ROTF and Avatar.
    I call it a James Camera!

Bay's film production is about 2 words - NEW and MORE. Never mind that old or less might produce a better story, that's not what it's about for Bay.
    Another thought: when you mention achieving a better story with less, the first director that came to my mind was Miyazaki Hayao. Movies like Spirited Away seem simple enough but are really quite deep and complex. I love how the most pivotal moment in Princess Mononoke was just a single word* whispered by the protagonist (Ashitaka) in under one second. It's so quick and subtle that if you blinked you would have missed it.

----------------------------
    *(massive Mononoke spoiler) As San plunges her knife toward Ashitaka's throat he weakly whispers, 生きろ ("live") which halts San's attack and drives a river of emotions into her (and the audience)

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Of course, it wouldn't be a chat about an upcoming effects-heavy blockbuster without some discussion of 3-D. Anyone who doesn't think "Avatar" changed the game needs to pay more attention: everyone's been talking about it, considering it, putting plans into action, Bay included.
    I thought Bay was against 3d?
    -=≡OrionPax≡=-

Knights of my untidy study

Quote Originally Posted by OrionPax View Post
    I thought Bay was against 3d?
    He is against lots of things but then he begins praising them by the next week.

Transformers will never be released on Blue Ray!

I think that 3d is cool but I'd prefer the time spent on a better plot rather than 3d
    -=≡OrionPax≡=-

Knights of my untidy study

Another thought: when you mention achieving a better story with less, the first director that came to my mind was Miyazaki Hayao. Movies like Spirited Away seem simple enough but are really quite deep and complex. I love how the most pivotal moment in Princess Mononoke was just a single word* whispered by the protagonist (Ashitaka) in under one second. It's so quick and subtle that if you blinked you would have missed it.
    But this is an issue with all modern blockbusters, which assume everyone wants more, more explosions more gun cam, more kung fu, fist fights. Much as I enjoyed the new Star Trek movie (with it's crash the time ship into the badguys ship climax), I though the ancient Star trek 2 (with it's 1 on 1 submarine inspired star ship battle) and the not quite as venerable Star trek 6 (with that one torpedo) had more tense climaxes. Generally the pivotal moment in most block busters always boils down to a long winded fist fight or other battle between the protagonist and antagonist, and just when it seems the protagonist is on the back foot they use that tricky move to win. I guess we all crave it and need it, but this formulaic approach does get kinda dull after a while, particularly in the subsequent viewings.

Of late I thought The Dark Knight, Watchmen and District 9 broke away from the standard Formula a bit, most other recent block busters (while some were quite good) to me were just going through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    McG? Blah, Salvation was horrible.
    +1

I thought that movie was very much going through the motions, and it also seemed to lack the visceral energy of the first 2 films.

I still haven't seen Watchmen yet (someone insisted that they'd lend me the comic to read first before viewing it *cough* ) -- but I did really enjoy Dark Knight and District 9.

I still haven't seen Watchmen yet (someone insisted that they'd lend me the comic to read first before viewing it *cough* ) -- but I did really enjoy Dark Knight and District 9.
    I could have brought my book to the fair but didn't know

Actually Watchmen showcases Dr Manhattan's story more than the graphic novel. The source material is more focused on Rosarch. The movie while hitting a lot of the stories beats is it's own thing. Alan Moore wrote Watchmen because he wanted to explore narrative tools that comics only have. Which is why the graphic novel is so dense.

(In Alan Moore's opinion)It was never intended to be adapted to film.
    Last edited by SMHFConvoy; 28th February 2010 at 06:09 PM.