Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bay interview

Default Bay interview

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/02/26...lot-of-twists/

Make no mistake, "Transformers 3" is coming. It might not have been the best film of 2009, but "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" was a HUGE box office success and moviegoers are always game to see what director Michael Bay will blow up next and how big the explosion is.

Bay appeared on Starz' "In the House" last night and he spent a little time talking about the next installment of Paramount's toy-cartoon-comic book (and now movie) franchise. There had been rumblings around the industry that the filmmaker had plans to direct something before the next "Transformers," and he addressed that first.

"The true story is we went to Vegas to celebrate ['Revenge of the Fallen'] crossing the $400 million mark domestic. I said I'm excited to do my small little movie. They said, well we're here to talk about that. I've become friends with these guys that run Paramount and they [told me,] 'We're going to get fired if we don't have a 2011 franchise,' so I'm like you can't let these guys down."

"The economy's been so rough, it's kind of important. When you say yes to movie like this you automatically give 3000 people jobs. 1000 for the toys. 2000 for the filmmaking. I'm going to put [the small film] on hold and do it right after ['Transformers 3']."

So for now, Bay is focused on bringing us more of that Autobots vs. Decepticons conflict. When giant robots fight, Earth is the only guaranteed loser. But we audiences get to see tons of s--t explode, so it's cool. Bay's plans to keep things fresh include one simple idea: more.

"You can't just rehash the old," he explained. "We're adding a lot of new elements. We're adding new characters. We're adding a lot of twists." Characters? Twists? "Transformers" fans-- let your speculation begin!

Of course, it wouldn't be a chat about an upcoming effects-heavy blockbuster without some discussion of 3-D. Anyone who doesn't think "Avatar" changed the game needs to pay more attention: everyone's been talking about it, considering it, putting plans into action, Bay included.

"It's a process we're testing with some 'Transformers' scenes," he said. "How successful it is with my movie in terms of a lot of real stuff coming out of the frame, real dirt, real complicated little particles coming towards the lens, because hopefully that process will work. I've seen some tests that look great on other movies. I just want to see how it looks on my footage."

What franchise elements do you want to see in the third "Transformers" movie? Should it be in 3-D?

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Wish he cared about the fans as much as he cares about the Paramount excecs!

"You can't just rehash the old," he explained. "We're adding a lot of new elements. We're adding new characters. We're adding a lot of twists." Characters? Twists? "Transformers" fans-- let your speculation begin!
    But that's just doing what he did in ROTF. WHAT TWISTS? New characters? So someone else gets to walk around with pants down asking for some tp?

A twist for me is if they fire Bay off the project and hire JJ Abrahms or McG to direct.

McG? Blah, Salvation was horrible.

I didn't mind it. There were a lot of call backs to the first 3 films. Actually it slavishly called back to them. Look anyone other than Bay would be an improvement.

Warning: Fanboy Idea

How about a "factional war" between the Decepticons on
    Earth with the autobots and humans caught in the middle.

With the Fallen dead, Shockwave leads a new Decepticon faction (Triple Changers?) to destroy Megatron and claim leadership. Megatron and Starscream gather a new army (Combaticons?) and an all out war begins across the planet. The Autobots have no choice but to call in reinforcements which include Ultra Magnus, Wheeljack and of course the greatest Autobot warrior of all time...Omega Supreme.

Fanboy Idea Over

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
    Warning: Fanboy Idea

How about a "factional war" between the Decepticons on
    Earth with the autobots and humans caught in the middle.

With the Fallen dead, Shockwave leads a new Decepticon faction (Triple Changers?) to destroy Megatron and claim leadership. Megatron and Starscream gather a new army (Combaticons?) and an all out war begins across the planet. The Autobots have no choice but to call in reinforcements which include Ultra Magnus, Wheeljack and of course the greatest Autobot warrior of all time...Omega Supreme.

Fanboy Idea Over
    Why even bring Shockwave in. TF always had a rift in the Decepticon ranks. How about Starscream finally waging a coup d'etat with the combaticons as his elite guard.

Or just do what they're doing with Spiderman and reboot the franchise.

Why even bring Shockwave in.
    Cause I like Shockwave...

How about Starscream finally waging a coup d'etat with the combaticons as his elite guard.
    That could work...

The great tragedy of this discussion is that you are all raising ideas. 'Ideas' are not really Bay's thing.

Bay's film production is about 2 words - NEW and MORE. Never mind that old or less might produce a better story, that's not what it's about for Bay.
    SofaMan - Occasionally Battling Evil with his Mighty Powers of Indolence

Quote Originally Posted by SofaMan View Post
    The great tragedy of this discussion is that you are all raising ideas. 'Ideas' are not really Bay's thing.

Bay's film production is about 2 words - NEW and MORE. Never mind that old or less might produce a better story, that's not what it's about for Bay.
    A point that has been raised many times in South Park