Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Gas Prices are cool!

I'm the person to least worry about owning a home. Yet this is an issue for me. As Kup open acknowledges, it's not easy. TF habit or not. Investment properties aren't easy either. They are very speculative and require large sums for entry plus gearing to generate an advantage.

I do agree w/ Fungal that some sacrifices must be made. But as Dirge points out, the system does not make it easy for the average Australian to get a foot in the market. The basics are what's frightening.
    Based on 2007 statistics:
    Average mortgage: $400,000
    10% deposit: $40,000
    Stamp duty: $20-30,000.
    Average monthly repayments: $2,400.

Average Wage: $850 a week. x 4 = $3,400.

What? That leaves you w/ a $1,000. Throw in basic bills and food. Pretty tough to even save. As Dirge points out, marriage definitely helps but that too brings up issues of kids and the like. And these are just average figures. You have to keep in mind that a lot more people are earning less than the average wage and the average is positively skewed b/c of the high income eaners bringing the average up.

And that comes back to my point. Though some of us might be good positions and are proud of how we've managed to buy or homes and succeed, we shouldn't wield that as a righteous baton. We need to recognise this is an issue that needs addressing.

No country for you old men

Actually, my first investment property was bought when I made less money than I do now, and when I was single. But I was living with my parents then so I used the money I saved and pumped it all into the property. I actually don't think its that hard to get into investment properties as long as you have the deposit to begin with (hence the selling of TFs) and am willing to cut your spending. My first 2 years were tough but looking back, I'm glad made the sacrifice.

It is an issue that is hard to address.

My only thought is buy cheap housing (removing all emotions), if it exist...

If it is far, that's the sacrifice but at least... it's a foot in the door.... repay half of that and you would no doubt have more than two deposits (and while repaying) the prices should be steady or rising because let's face it... property prices are not going to take a dive. If they are .. they are not intangible objects like shares.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Previous generations only "seemed" to have it "easy" because they didn't treat all of their income as disposable.

Nor did they have the myrid amount of consumerism that plagues our society today to pour money into (and services that have monthly subscription fees), and brat kids that demanded the latest gadgets, nor did they try and big note themselves with expensive bogan trash such as the latest commodore or big panel tv's.

Wages were in line with what they paid for properties too. And their ease of employment is what we're currently enjoying. Oh yes, marriage was more common back the too with the wife actually able to raise kids and do housework.
    ________
    FIRESTONE AND TIRE CONTROVERSY
    Last edited by MV75; 11th March 2011 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
    It is an issue that is hard to address.

My only thought is buy cheap housing (removing all emotions), if it exist...

If it is far, that's the sacrifice but at least... it's a foot in the door.... repay half of that and you would no doubt have more than two deposits (and while repaying) the prices should be steady or rising because let's face it... property prices are not going to take a dive. If they are .. they are not intangible objects like shares.
    Agreed certainly.

The renting out in the sticks argument has been raised. But there's a counter to that. By moving further out you're subjecting yourself to a double whammy. There's the mortgage on the one hand then there's the petrol pump on the other. With petrol prices soaring and more activities in the inner metropolitan areas, your buying yourself into trouble. Petrol prices aren't going to go away so even if you make that sacrifice it's a zero sum game. Buying that house in whoop-whoop wasn't that good an idea after all.

And that turns us to the issue of dismal state of public transport in Australia. It's ironic how all these problems are so interrelated but all require a lot of pain in the short-term to gain long-term benefits.

Man, I feel like a glass half full type of guy tonight.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Agreed certainly.

The renting out in the sticks argument has been raised. But there's a counter to that. By moving further out you're subjecting yourself to a double whammy. There's the mortgage on the one hand then there's the petrol pump on the other. With petrol prices soaring and more activities in the inner metropolitan areas, your buying yourself into trouble. Petrol prices aren't going to go away so even if you make that sacrifice it's a zero sum game. Buying that house in whoop-whoop wasn't that good an idea after all.

And that turns us to the issue of dismal state of public transport in Australia. It's ironic how all these problems are so interrelated but all require a lot of pain in the short-term to gain long-term benefits.

Man, I feel like a glass half full type of guy tonight.
    One thing and one thing only will fix all of that, and it's not government, it's corporation.

What that thing is is called "decentralisation".

Housing - fixed.
    Childcare - fixed.
    Pubic transport - fixed.
    Create more jobs - fixed.
    Use less fuel - fixed.
    ________
    Dodge venom specifications
    Last edited by MV75; 11th March 2011 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    One thing and one thing only will fix all of that, and it's not government, it's corporation.

What that thing is is called "decentralisation".

Housing - fixed.
    Childcare - fixed.
    Pubic transport - fixed.
    Create more jobs - fixed.
    Use less fuel - fixed.
    I agree with that. The business and commercial areas in all Australian cities are way to Centralized. Its always the city or some area near Parramatta. If you work in the city, you are okay because all Public Transport points there but if its in Parramatta and you live somewhere like Southern Sydney, well you are screwed.