On Saturday, for Free Comic Book Day, IDW released G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero #155½ by Larry Hama (taking place after #155 - the last issue of the Marvel Comic.) The ongoing series commences in July, beginning with #156. Which started my mind percolating.

IDW own the reprint rights to the Marvel Transformers comics and have been generously printing them in single issues and trades. They also employ Simon Furman and seem to have Andy Wildman drawing covers for them every month or so. I can't be the only one who thinks that the single greatest thing IDW could do would be to continue the Marvel comics starting with #81 and all the storylines that would or could have come from there.

Much like Chris Claremont is doing with X-Men Forever, Transformers #81 could ignore everything that happened since (in this case, G2 and Another Time And Place) and go on with the plotlines that were unresolved (mostly Action Master related) and completely new directions. Or, if that would be too similar to G2, why not start at Transformers G2 #13? Combat Hero Prime and Megatron trying to deal with their new alliance, with the Liege Maximo as the big bad. Not only would it be better than the current ongoing, but it would justify all IDW's Marvel reprints, by having a continuity that actually links to it.

IDW keep rebooting their comics anyway, why not make the next reboot one that long-term comics fans might actually love? Or have it as an alternate universe limited series, whatever - what they're doing with G.I. Joe is a fantastic idea and one that they should transfer to their other great Hasbro franchise.

(Transformers. In case I was being too subtle. )