Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Selling the collection to fund a house deposit

Forgetting about the collection for a second, you would be far better off saving for a house rather than renting for the rest of your life. The people against buying must live in ridiculously expensive area's so no wonder they don't recommend it. Having your own house means you can do whatever you like to it, you'll never have the fear of being booted out and in 25 years (a lot less if you, and hopefully a partner too at some point, get payrises/higher paying jobs along the way) you'll have it all paid off. Just as house prices go up, so does the cost of renting. I hate to think what the rent prices will be like in another 25 years from now...

My advice is to keep saving for a deposit on a house until such time as you find your perfect partner, then at some point BLAMMO buy an awesome house together (the amount the banks will loan you will obviously go up on dual-income so you can afford something nicer). If you can't afford to buy your ideal house then you'll either have to move/look at some more affordable area's or get a higher paying job. Good luck with whatever you do!

To dig up an oldish topic ...
    I have been thinking about this again - the merits of selling the majority of the SEALED collection to find a deposit of a house, but really because it is all getting out of hand/control etc.

My thought - sell everything aside from my Generation One items (compared with selling it ALL)
    That is, I sell my collection of the following lines and sub lines: G1 Reissues, eHobby Reissues, Masterpeice, Binaltech, Binaltech Asterisk, Kissplayers, Alternators, Classics, Henkei, Universe 2.0, Generations, Music, Sports and Device Label, Beast Wars, Car Robots, Armada, Micron Legend, Superlink, Galaxy Force, Collectors Club and Botcon

The sticking point - Euro G1 and G2. Not sure exactly where I would cut the line regarding these figures - the way I have stored my G2 stuff does take up a fairly large box.

Why keep G1 - well, it is after all the stuff that I grew up with and if I was looking at it from a pure financial aspect then it is the stuff that has more value than at lot of the new stuff (there are exceptions to that, some G1 stuff is cheap and some modern stuff is expensive). Selling the sealed items from my collection would not only give me a cash injection that I would use to either fund a house or purchase AFA graded G1, but also empty out a large storage shed and given enough time could also reduce the need to even have a storage shed.

Why sell stuff I adore (Binaltech, Henkei etc) - because I have it twice! Once sealed inside a storage shed that I never look at and once opened in my room that I look at each day and sometimes even play with. As people say time and time again - transformers have two or more modes and keeping them sealed inside plastic is denying you of the enjoyment of transforming and enjoying the second or more modes. Somewhere along the line this has sunk in and I am opening more than I used to, while also keeping a lot of things sealed away.

Again - this is selling the SEALED part of my collection - none of the loose stuff would be sold
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Again - this is selling the SEALED part of my collection - none of the loose stuff would be sold
    Thoughts?
    Do it. Definitely. I don't see any reason for you to keep it. Particularly since you're paying for storage (and in light of the sad storage disaster you had to face last time.)

This is what I would do:

Keep Classics/Henkei figures and a selection of BW characters such as the show bunch. Also keep the hard to reacquire items. Keeping a selection of G2 stuff would be good as they are very hard to get in the market.

All the other lines can be sold.
    Last edited by kup; 4th December 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Thoughts?
    I seriously think it's a good idea. Do it.

I'd say sell them if you have no more need of them. It'd be good if you don't need a storage shed to keep them because that defeats the purpose of collecting. BUT, Im not really sure how much selling them would help toward a house deposit, bearing in mind the effort it would take to sell them separately to get max profits (sometime time ago i did a calculation of how much my entire MIB g1 collection cost me, excluding doubles and only counting each figure once, and that was only $28K thereabouts).

Therefore if it's newer stuff, I'm not sure how much you'd actually get by way of aiding with house deposit. I'd do it to get rid of the need for a storage shed though...