Thread: Transformers Henkei! Henkei! Manga TPB

Default Transformers Henkei! Henkei! Manga TPB

Picked up the first TPB for the Comics Bun Bun Henkei! Henkei! manga TPB and I've read the first five issues so far. My random thoughts on what I've read so far in no particular order (SPOILERS AHOY):

+ This series is obviously intended for a younger audience, which makes sense as I'm assuming it's intended to help market the Henkei toys. Having said that it's not overtly juvenile in tone like the catalogue comics.
    + Hoshinoumi Wataru: his overtly camp nature simultaneously bugs me and amuses me. His constant 'comic relief' is a bit over the top, but at the same time I like how he's a UFO geek and totally geeks out when he meets the Autobots. His having superhuman powers came as no surprise and was really predictable - but I think part of that problem is the very beginning of the book which introduces all the characters; the intro for Wataru is kinda spoilerish in that regard. I don't know if they just did that intro splash for the TPB or if the original first issue had it (I suspect the former). I should've skipped that splash page and got stuck into the comic itself... ah well.
    + I like how the narrative occasionally breaks the 5thfourth wall, like when the "Don't try this at home" comment.
    + When Wataru touched the Energon Cube I like the flashback into the Transformers' history and when he sees the G1 Transformers fighting. That was a nice little treat for G1 fans.
    + Skyfire's story was almost the same as the one from the catalogue comic, only expanded. And I like how the Control Mask shatters. Oh, and obviously Megatron and Wataru's involvement also made some things different... but it's fundamentally the same basic plot (just not as self-contained).

More thoughts as I continue reading ... anyone else reading this? I thought BigPenney already got this book (I didn't even know it existed until I saw his acquisition post for it) -- feel free to share your thoughts here.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 14th June 2010 at 07:24 PM.

I thought it was the 4th wall that gets broken.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    I thought it was the 4th wall that gets broken.

heheheh I was gonna say the same thing.... you went through more by 1 wall Gok
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

What did I say?

<looks>

D'OH! I'm spending way too much time in pentagonal rooms.

<fixes>

Any comments on the book itself?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    What did I say?

<looks>

D'OH! I'm spending way too much time in pentagonal rooms.

<fixes>

Any comments on the book itself?
    I say you went up the roof heheheh , um no comment on the book itself as I dont have it?
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I wuite enjoyed it to be honest. Not entirely sure why as it was kiddy aimed. I guess I just thought it was awesome having a manga focussed on the henkie line, ala the G1 comic.

ANybody seen any word on a vol2?

(this post contains MAJOR SPOILERS)

Finished reading it today. Although it's targetted at a younger audience, it's also not too campy (Wataru's nuances aside) or simplistic that it would exclude an adult reader either. I know Wataru's a bit of a MacGuffin - but so is Sari and her Key.

The ending of Vol.1 was pretty neat. I like how Megatron tried to psychologically demoralise and dissuade Wataru by telling him that they'd encountered another child booster before, whom Convoy allowed to die (well, he said "killed" but from the flashback it seemed more like the child was sacrificed) in order to achieve victory. And unlike Sari's key it seems that Wataru's healing powers aren't as omnipotent (he seems more capable of repairing superficial damage - since Convoy's exterior seemed fined but his Spark still extinguished). It was pretty emotional seeing Convoy use his final words to tell Wataru that Megatron was right, and that he did essentially sacrifice the life of a human child booster to achieve victory over the Decepticons.

Damn cliffhanger!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy
    ANybody seen any word on a vol2?
    Is it out in Japan yet? If so I'll check Kinonavi next time I'm at Kinokuniya and order one in if it's on their database.

Hopefully in Vol. 2 we'll see more Transformers aside from Convoy, Bumble, Ligier, Grimlock, Megatron, Starscream, Ramjet and Skyfire! You probably noticed that Astrotrain appears in Vol.1 really briefly in one panel in the background (shrouded in darkness)! I was kinda annoyed at the small cast, but I guess the manga must have been printed when the Henkei line first started... much like G1 I hope to see more characters introduced in later issues. (^_^)