0 0%

0 0%
  • 5 - its so so

2 3.64%

2 3.64%

6 10.91%

18 32.73%

6 10.91%
  • 10 - BUY IT !!! or forever be shamed!!

19 34.55%
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: War For Cybertron Game Review

Quote Originally Posted by SamLoi888 View Post
    120 inch screen???? Wtf?
    It is a projector setup. In the second pic you can just make out an outline of a figure below Barricade under the screen if you zoom right in. That's a Cybertronian Bumblebee

Great review stompy and yes I did pick Barracade hah Brawl was tempting. I sank a few good hours into this tonight and I'm left pretty impressed.. A very solid effort so far. Reminds me of Halo gameplay especially with those ahh brutes. It's slick, explosive fun.

The amount of polish on this game has suprised me, and it's budget pricing doesn't reflect on the quality of the game at all IMHO
    Last edited by Jetfire; 21st June 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
    ...it's budget pricing doesn't reflect on the quality of the game at all IMHO
    I was wondering about this last night - does anyone know why the game is selling for so cheap? Most games come out around the 100 dollar mark. Is it based on a percenatge of development costs or would the developer / distributor have enough financial backing to offer the game at this price in order to increase sales?
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I was wondering about this last night - does anyone know why the game is selling for so cheap? Most games come out around the 100 dollar mark. Is it based on a percenatge of development costs or would the developer / distributor have enough financial backing to offer the game at this price in order to increase sales?
    I wonder if the sale date starting in the last week of the financial year has something to do with it. I think your last point might be close to the truth. EB have dropped it from 79.99 to 59.99? 61 @ BigW that's great value.

There are no reviews out yet but I predict this game will be well received.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    For the gamers out there the gunplay is similar to Gears Of War minus the cover system. It's just about as speedy although battles tend to be battle of attritions rather than tactics. The first chapter certainly isn't the most exciting way to open the game. With your alt mode rarely used since its all corridors with so many turns that the alt modes are nothing much but alternative weapons. Get to chapter 2 though and you get to take control of the classic seekers. Where the game areas are large with enough room to fly around. Don't expect dog style fighting. It's much much slower keeping the focus of gunplay similar to on ground as bots. But it just shows how the alt modes can provide a nice gameplay element so non-existant in the first level. Plus I couldn't resist playing as Skywarp.

The game actually has 3player co-op for the main campaign and each level have 3 main characters for the mission. So far the two chapters I've played are all set characters. Not sure if this will open up later for your own choosing. Each of the characters available have their own set of skills and abilities. The seekers for instance has Starscream as a very offensive gunner, with Skywarp being a scout with a cloaking field and Thundercracker able to to do some limited healing and spot cloaked enemies. I think the main campaign will be a lot more fun if played with friends in co-op mode. Otherwise standard 3rd person shooter fare made enjoyable by the use of the Transformers franchise.

The graphics so far have been great. Merging a lot of G1 and movie elements. Mainly G1 for the character designs and movie designs for the art direction of the environments and a lot of the sound effects. The art direction is very dark. They have given us a very mechanical gothic look for the environments which look fantastic. The audio side is decent. While the music is forgettable, the sound effects are great, triggering a lot of recognizable movie sound effects. The voices on the whole is not too bad. Peter Cullen shines as Prime but everyone else have new actors. Megatron sounds ok and whoever voiced Starscream did a decent job. Jetfire's Australian (I think it was Aussie anyway) accent was a nice surprise.

I've only played 2 levels and the levels themselves can get repetetive with some repeated corridors and structures but there are some great set pieces. In particular jumping thru space debris while aerialbots hail down fire or the fantastic set piece of a gunship involving dog fighting and destruction of. There's still 10 levels to go with the first 6 chapters compromising of the Decepticon campaign and the last six the Autobot campaign. Youc an jump straight to the autobot campaign but they are in chronological order and Autobot missions were designed to be played after the Decepticon missions.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet and also just 2 chapters in of the 12 shown. So this is just first impressions. The game is certainly miles better than the movie games but don't expect anything that will blow your socks off. But as a Transformer fan this is worth it. I'm not really versed into the canon and mythology with TF (I'm more of a toy engineering fan ) but it appears to be before everything in G1. Eg. First chapter has Megatron meeting Starscream for the very first time along with Jetfire's presence with the seekers. In this regard the franchise will give the game an X factor for us fans. It won't excuse a bad game but this certainly isn't/ Far from it. It's still very enjoyable and I'm sure moreso in 3p co-op of the campaign.

I might post more the further I get in. Still waiting to see who else turns up. The extras section of the menu promises to unlock Slipstream and Arcee. So looking forward to that.

PS.
    Jetfire:

I see you selected Barricade in the first chapter. I did too. Although Brawl was certainyl tempting to play as.

You've played the exact amount I have, and pretty much said everything I was going to say. Though I played as Brawl on the first level. I'm playing through on hard (considering I've been gaming for over 20 years, I figured it the right choice) but I'll be honest in saying I've died. A lot. Sometimes I've just had to hold back in a corner and snipe away at bots because as soon as you get surrounded by three of them, it's over in seconds.

I did log in to multiplayer, not to play it but to check out the character customisation. There's a fair bit you can do in terms of equipped abilities, and more will open as you progress through single-player campaign and also building XP in multiplayer, as well as more character models, but where it really lacks is the colour choices. You can only pick two colours for your character, with the choice limited to five 'primary' colours and then their surrounding 'shades'. Autobots have bright colours like blue, green, yellow and red; Decepticons have darker colours like purple, grey, teal etc. It's pretty much Windows 98 colour pallette which is a shame, though I can understand if they wanted to restrict certain colours to each faction so in multiplayer you're not confused as to who you're shooting.

Apart from that, loving the game. Now I'm wishing the next seven hours of work fly by so I can get home and start my weekend.

Part of the review to be posted on GamesMaster has been leaked with WFC scoring a respectable 83%.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Part of the review to be posted on GamesMaster has been leaked with WFC scoring a respectable 83%.
    I just read that. There is also this Dutch publication which rated it at 88%.

I will wait to see what Gamespot says to see if they rate it along the same margin but I have lost a bit of faith in their reviewing/scoring system due to suspected 'favoritism'.

Please ignore my opinion. Buy away fella's.....

Best review is ones own.

I do look at reviews, but make up my own opinion when I play it. Same goes with movies.

WFC is no Killzone or Halo but its a good fun arcade style shooter.

Before you play for the first time the PS3 version install takes 10-15 mins to copy itself to the harddrive. Go make a coffee and tell the mrs you'll be unavailable for a few hours.

Take some time to play with the control scheme, you can even customise it if something feels a little off.

WFC is not a game that is going to blow your mind in the first 5 mins. High Moon have really taken an effort to tell a story, so the first few levels are full of in game cutscenes and conversations between the bots.

If you can be a little patient and let yourself relax and take in the story WFC will prove to be a game worthy of your time. There's more character development in the first 10 mins than there was in the whole ROTF movie....

Ammo and Health: Take the time to explore and you'll find plenty of smashable crates full of ammo and health. I played on medium difficulty and was ignoring plenty of pickups. Its abundant if you look.

Vehicle modes: Very cool and powerful weapons. A great moment for me was team death match multiplayer. Strafed 2 guys taking cover while in bot mode, transformed into tank mode and annihilated both guys with the tank turret as Warpath. Was very cool. Guys playing as jets will up and fly away, scouts will pop out of nowhere and dagger kill you, and trucks will buff team mates with extra firepower and powerful melee.

I've barley scratched the surface myself and its so packed with features WFC will take a few sessions to get a grasp of. But thats a good thing because i plan to play it til it melts in my console!
    MEGATRON Without PRIME is like Bacon without Eggs.

wow, great to read the different opinions. I've got holidays coming in a couple of weeks and may get it then, just a budget issue at the moment really.
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett