0 0%

0 0%
  • 5 - its so so

2 3.64%

2 3.64%

6 10.91%

18 32.73%

6 10.91%
  • 10 - BUY IT !!! or forever be shamed!!

19 34.55%
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891424 ... LastLast

Thread: War For Cybertron Game Review

I don't know what the PS3/Xbox version is like but the Wii version is not very good at all. I have so far done 25% of the Decepticon campaign and it can be summed up with this;

Vehicle Mode: Drive/Fly, Shoot, Repeat
    Robot Mode: Duck, Shoot, Repeat

You can not Transform at will, it is either Vehicle Mode or Robot Mode. I shouldn't be too picky. If I wanted an in depth gaming experience I wouldn't have a Wii, I would have a PS3/Xbox instead

XBOX360:

Now this particular instance of interests clashing is an example of why I love both Transformers and Video games. I've played through both TF movie games, neither of which really sort of pandered to my attention to story telling. War for Cybertron changes all that. Not only are the toys amazing (go now and buy Optimus and Bumblebee, and tell me that you can wait for Megatron/Soundwave. I know I can't), but the designs feels like a perfect mix between movie, pre-earth, animated and G1.

As a game, I agree it has its faults. I've just finished the Decepticon Campaign this morning, and there was little to no challenge in finishing it. Admittedly, I was playing on the Normal difficulty setting, but after trying the hard mode, I've realised this is a game to be finished, not a game to challenge you.

Multiplayer is a fanwank dream. Customisable Weapons, Names, Colours and Chassis offer a unique experience in a third person shooter. While the COD games are obviously superior multiplayer games, the way that WfC takes aspects of the most popular shooters (Killzone, Halo, Cod etc.) and recreates them in a 3rd person environment is refreshing, impressive, and makes me wish I still had Unreal Tournament :P.

Controls are fluid, especially the transformation. As a Jet in multiplayer, it is completely reasonable to fly right to an enemy, transform, beat him to death with a mace, and fly off before anybody has noticed. In a transformers game this is critical!

My disappointments are simply a lack of varied gameplay and the multiplayer colour schemes (I get that Autobots are colourful and Decepticons aren't, but give me a full colour pallete!).

In summary:

Presentation
    The interface and presentation of War for Cybertron is amazing, both as a gamer, and exceptional as a transformers fan. The story is a little thin but all non-comic/book stories in Transformers sort of are, aren't they?

Graphics
    I love this design of character personally, but as I'm running HDMI for my Xbox, the graphics look pretty damned amazing. Not Halo running at 1080p, but definately up to the current gen standards.

Sound
    Repetitive but all shooters are. Orchestrated music is appropriately epic.

Gameplay
    One of the biggest problems with this genre (third person) is that you can usually wind up travelling at an incredibly standstill pace. It happened in Batman Arkham Asylum (which by the way is an amazing game even if it takes to long to get around its tiny world map), but seeings as your ready to transform into transport mode, the pace is much better suited to the amount of action. Definately won't get boring soon.

Lasting Appeal
    Well, to be honest, once I finish the campaign there's a real chance I'll never play through it again, unless I feel the need to play with different characters or on the harder setting. That said, the Decepticon campaign took me about 5 hours, so I'm going to guess the Autobot campaign is about the same. Thats 10 hours worth of gaming, Escalation (which is fun but surprisingly hard sometimes), and multiplayer, and if you plan on unlocking 12 classes by bringing all types of Transformer to level 10 in Multiplayer, I can imagine there's a good 40-50 hours entertainment.

Overall

As a transformer fan, I'm so happy about this game. It does everything right that a video game should, everything right as a franchise reboot, and overall, doesn't have that horrible rushed quality the movie games had. If you love transformers and can keep pace with the regular shooters in todays market, you'll love this, just like me, and give it 9/10. However as an objective video game player who understands that one of the main reasons I love this game is the skin, I have to give it 8/10, realising that it's a great game, but if it was another franchise or just generic transforming robots it would still be great, just not as much.

My copy for the Xbox 360 arrived at 7am this morning (was woken by what sounded like the fist of an angry god beating at my door) and I've spent a few hours throughout the day putting it through its paces.

The first chapter is very much a loosener. You can see the promise and it looks the business, but it also leaves a bit to be desired. The next chapter though? It's a 150km torpedo right up in the block hole!! I was blown away by just how great a job High Moon have done with this level, and I'd go so far as to say it's worth buying the game for alone - It's just that goddamn good! I won't spoil anything for those who haven't played it yet, but wow. Just, WOW. Some of the things you can do are just too cool.

[spoiler]I chose to play as Skywarp during chapter 2 and loved some of the freedom when tackling the rooms. In one part, I shotgunned a 'bot in the back, blasted another 'bot who was using a turrent in the distance, activated cloaking, jumped up & transformed then flew to the turret, yoinked it off then proceeded to blast more guys inside...This kinda stuff is what WFC is all about and it's handled brilliantly.[/spoiler]

I've just started the 3rd chapter and while I'd be surprised if it (or future levels for that matter) can improve on the last incredibly fun chapter, this game is already a huge winner in my books. These guys HAVE to make more Transformers games after this!!

The game is indeed fantastic. It just gets better the further you progress. The gunplay has its own feel. A mix between Halo and a tiny bit of Gears Of War.

The boss battles are the business in this game though. I won't spoil any but it's all a pleasure! Casette fans will be VERY happy too. All has been catered for.

Also well done for the script writers. The chatter between the bots in game brings out so much personality and humour.

It gets even better? Is that even possible??

Good point about the in-game chatter Stompster, it really adds an extra layer of immersion and makes you feel like you're taking part in an episode from a cartoon, not just piloting some mindless drones.

Can't wait to experience some of these boss fights...Must pace myself though so it's not all over in the blink of an eye.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    I don't know what the PS3/Xbox version is like but the Wii version is not very good at all. I have so far done 25% of the Decepticon campaign and it can be summed up with this;

Vehicle Mode: Drive/Fly, Shoot, Repeat
    Robot Mode: Duck, Shoot, Repeat
    You just summed up every Wii "action" game ever made

Still, I'm looking forward to getting the Wii version too.

It's also worth noting for those with 360 and PS3's, the 360 version offers 1080P.

I got the game on Monday and I love it!

I've been playing multiplayer and its been quite good!

foor is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Brilliant game! And Rumble is officially BLUE/PURPLE in this!

Rumble: "First we crack the shell, then we crack the nuts inside!"