Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting USA

Default Visiting USA

Hey all,

I'm thinking of going to USA in november and doing a road trip along the west coast over 2 weeks. So was wondering what places along the west coast are worth visiting for TF shopping?

So far I have in mind to goto LA, San Fran, Las Vegas and Vancouver. But in between locations not sure where to visit?

Also, this being my first time in USA and by myself as well, I'm somewhat nervous about driving. Is it hard to drive and get use to driving on the other side? Do I need to get an permits to drive or is a valid drivers license all I need?

Would also love to hear anybody's suggestions on what route's to take and what places are worth visiting?

Thanks in advance!

Driving's not too tricky, but too each their own. When I moved here (I'm American), another ex-pat gave me a piece of advice to always remember that approaching cars should be on the same of the car you are sitting on. So when you're there driving a left hand drive, opposing cars should be on the left. This worked for me. Bonus tip: In America, unless told otherwise, you can make a right at red light. (would be the equivalent of being allowed to make left turns at red lights here)

If you're going to be driving, about an hour south of SF is Monterey, Big Sur and the 17 Mile Drive, which is some of the most gorgeous coastal road in the world. Highly recommend. Monterey's a pretty nice town too. There's a renown aquarium, a nice wharf, plus more.

In between San Fran and Vancouver are two of my favorite American cities, Portland and Seattle. I'm not sure Portland has much to offer to tourists, but Seattle does. The Pacific North West, as it's referred to, is generally beautiful and the most progressive part of America.

As far as TF shopping, there's basically a Walmart every 5 miles across most of America unfortunately. Targets aplenty too. TRUs are more sparse. They aren't doing very well and are being enveloped by their more successful BRU sister. Kmart is virtually dead and that about covers it. I don't much insight to specialty shops in that part of the country.

Remember to take advantage of the free Wifi that's virtually everywhere, e.g. Starbucks, McDonalds, Panera Bread

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Heya - sounds very cool!!

I went to the US all by myself when I was about 21. It was pretty exciting, but I was definitely nervous too. I actually hired a car and drove all around the east coast and the west coast (about 2 weeks each). I did meet up with my brother, who was coming back from Paris, which made it a little easier.

There's heaps I could tell you... driving on the other side of the road takes a little getting used to. It feels so foreign (pardon the pun) because you just feel like you want to use the wrong hands. Even turning at an intersection is really daunting... you hope that your mind can remember to stay on the other side of the road But, tbh, I had similar problems with just crossing the street on the first day - I kept looking the wrong direction, thinking it was clear, before remembering the traffic was behind me.

As for the licence; when I did it, I didn't need anything else apart from my normal Australian one. But things may well have changed, and it's advisable to get an international licence anyway. It just saves you from any potential hassles.

I drove from LA to Las Vegas, then on to Hoover Dam, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite National Park, and up to San Fran. I then headed back down the coast, which is gorgeous, past Monterey (Cannery Row) and Morro Bay, down to all the "Santas", then back to Disneyland... err, I mean LA.

Thanks for the tips guys! All useful. I'll be sure to take advantage of the free wifi especially to use assisted gps on my phone and be sure to look the correct direction before crossing the street hehe

From the sounds of it, TF shopping in the States isn't all that exciting? But I am sure I would still be fascinated by Walmart. I've heard everything is bigger in the States including the shops.

What are the speed limits like? Are there any "weird" road rules/signages that I should be aware of?

The locations you guys mentioned sound great. What about drives that go through "foresty" areas?

I always been keen to experience hanging out with the locals. What would be the best way to do that for a lone traveller?

Robzy, when you travelled by yourself, how did you find the experience in general? Like, did you still go out to restaurants by yourself etc?

"foresty" areas... Virginia was nice to drive through...

Speed limit is around 100k but in miles.

Tolls are mainly in the eastern states.

Quote Originally Posted by shazam View Post
    What are the speed limits like? Are there any "weird" road rules/signages that I should be aware of?

The locations you guys mentioned sound great. What about drives that go through "foresty" areas?

I always been keen to experience hanging out with the locals. What would be the best way to do that for a lone traveller?
    Speed limit is typically 55 MPH, but if you go less than 67, you get honked at, but that's maybe just New York

The only weird road rule is the one I mentioned: Left on red is cool after you've come to a complete stop.

Big Sur while heavily coastal is also gloriously foresty for much of it. It's the best of both worlds. But head further North and you'll see the amazing Redwood Forest.

Best way to hang out with the locals is to simply open your mouth. As soon as Americans hear an Australian accent, they'll flock to you

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Speed limit is typically 55 MPH, but if you go less than 67, you get honked at, but that's maybe just New York

The only weird road rule is the one I mentioned: Left on red is cool after you've come to a complete stop.

Big Sur while heavily coastal is also gloriously foresty for much of it. It's the best of both worlds. But head further North and you'll see the amazing Redwood Forest.

Best way to hang out with the locals is to simply open your mouth. As soon as Americans hear an Australian accent, they'll flock to you
    I think wherever I drive I'll probably be honked at since I'll be driving extra carefully

Redwood forest looks nice. But do I have to get out of the car to see that or is it clearly visable whilst driving?

I'll be sure to work on exagerating my aussie accent when conversating with the locals.

Saintly, thx for the tip. I'll be sure to check it out next time I go to the east coast.

Most Americans love "aussies" and the accent.

Right on Red.

Eat at the following:

In N Out
    Chick-Fil-A
    IHOP
    Denny's
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    Right on Red.
    Shit. I've been here too long.

It might also be worth to mention about the 4-way stop in case you find one.

And "take away" is the same as "to go"
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap