Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Most disappointing TF purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I think most of us older buggers grew up with G1, so we were already aware of who these characters were. Also, Sunstreaker wasn't as much of a douche in original G1 as he was in Neo-G1... and while Neo-G1 Sunstreaker may have been a douche, I think it made the character interesting. Flawless characters are boring.
    Yeah I like my flawed characters too - Optimus Prime always making a heroic sacrifice that sometimes doesn't really help anyone, Megatron not killing Starscream for betraying him AGAIN and AGAIN until he became Galvatron and Ultra Magnus for not being confident enough in himself lol.

Alternators Decepticon Rumble.

Very disappointing for an Alternator.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91
    Yeah I like my flawed characters too - Optimus Prime always making a heroic sacrifice that sometimes doesn't really help anyone
    Optimus Prime is a Christ-like saviour archetype, so each time he sacrifices himself he becomes more and more or a martyr. Most martyrs only become martyrs once... Optimus Prime becomes a martyr many times! But Optimus Prime's death was always in defence of something... either the lives of others or in the defence of honour. Like when he allowed Megatron to kill him after losing to him in a LAN game, even though he knew Megatron had used a cheat code to respawn himself. (reference)

Optimus Prime is like "perfect to a flaw" - his greatest strength (i.e. compassion and honour) is simultaneously his greatest weakness. But as his TFU profile states, if he didn't have this great compassion and honour then he simply wouldn't be Optimus Prime. And I think this is evident when you look at the fandom's attitude toward Dai Atlas. In Japan he is a controversial character who is widely criticised by fans for being too ruthless and lacking mercy toward his enemies. Which is true - he has an absolute "take no prisoners" attitude when he fights Decepticons. Look at what he did to poor Predaking! Now tactically this makes sense. You're leading the Autobots in an interstellar war against the Decepticons which has been raging for millions of years -- why bother letting them retreat? All of the Decepticons that Dai Atlas fought against ended up dead. A quick and decisive victory for the Autobots (and a great way to end an entire series in a single-episode OVA ). But yet Dai Atlas is widely disliked by Japanese fans because they see him as lacking the most fundamentally important element needed for an Autobot leader - honour and compassion. The standard set by Optimus Convoy (sic).

Megatron not killing Starscream for betraying him AGAIN and AGAIN until he became Galvatron
    Megatron did admit to the stupidity of always keeping Starscream around in G2.

and Ultra Magnus for not being confident enough in himself lol.
    To be fair it was only when he prematurely had the mantle of leadership thrust on him in TFTM. After the events of TFTM Magnus proved to be quite a reasonably good character I thought. Yes he constantly got his butt handed back to him repeatedly by Galvatron... but of course, Galvatron was portrayed as a demi-god so ya know... t'was no easy task.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    Alternators Decepticon Rumble.

Very disappointing for an Alternator.
    Indeed. this Rumble cannot match the Alternator title.

Bringing this thread back from the dead to add a few disappointing purchases to the list:

- Classics Bumblebee : the hollow chest doesn't work for me

- RTS Special Ops Jazz : Yo jazz, where your backpaint at? And why your torso not clip onto pelvis!?!

I would have to say my most dissapointing purchase was probably rotf deluxe ravage. I expected it to be pretty crap. I got it for $12 at the big W sale and it was still too much.
    I wanted it for completeness, but the sheer poor quality plastic and manufacturing, there are mold lines all over it, and it doesn't really fit together well in either mode, make it almost embarrasing to own.

I have it displayed as the Jaguar, mainly because theres no point displaying it as anything else.

the only saving grace of the 2007 movie Scorponok, is the excellent paint scheme in scorpion mode. otherwise they would almost be on par.

Decepticon Guest

ROTF scout Ejector! Oooohhhh!!! a toaster!!! IM SOOOOO scaaaaared!

Quote Originally Posted by Decepticon View Post
    What??? Of course it is scary, a piece of toast in the eye hurts. It's sharp, and it stings

Yeah plug him in then stick a knife in him. Thats pretty scary. (Of course it also relies on your own incompetence)
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

truly though, you know that's going to be crap before you buy it, would it still be more dissapointing after you had opened it up.