Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: FansProject's Protector Armor (Not-Rodimus)

I'm sure it won't hurt either sales. They are different size classes, and I bet I won't be the only one to be buying both MP Rodimus and the Protecter upgrade. Can't really compare the 2 IMO, would like apples and oranges.

Yeah, I don't see these in competition. People who collect MPs will get MP Rodimus. People who collect CHUG or FP, will get Protector. People who collect by the character will get both.

As to timing, Protector has been in the works for over 1.5 years, well beyond the time anyone publicly claims to have known about MP Rodimus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Yeah, they've had this in the works forever. I actually think Masterpiece Rodimus is more likely to hurt their sales than help - are people really more likely to spend big dollars on a smaller unofficial product when they could just as easily spend big dollars on a better and bigger official one?
    I agree, people who are unable/unwilling to get both toys will prefer the MP over the 3rd party upgrade. I know I do, the MP is the much better toy by far.

However that would only affect those who are only willing to get one toy of the character. It won't make a difference to those who want both for their MP and Classics shelves.

The FansProject release predates the announcement of MP Rodimus by a year or more so it's nothing to do with trying to cut into Hasbro's profits. However it is safe to say that the MP release will indeed cut into the Protector sales as not everyone is going to get both toys.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    However it is safe to say that the MP release will indeed cut into the Protector sales as not everyone is going to get both toys.
    My Wallet laughs and says it bought both Protector and Shadow Scythe and has MP Rodimus preordered (but really, it secretly cries in a corner feeling empty inside...)

Looks well designed, but can't afford to get both this and MP Rodimus. :0

The FansProject release predates the announcement of MP Rodimus by a year or more so it's nothing to do with trying to cut into Hasbro's profits.
    Could it be Hasbro's way of trying too "defend" itself from 3rd Party companies?

Would Hasbro have gone for a different MP if not for the Protector kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Looks well designed, but can't afford to get both this and MP Rodimus. :0
    The funny thing is that these sort of things become even more unaffordable in the months/years after release.

I only started collecting 1yr ago and im having trouble getting an Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp pack for under $100US

So basically im saving myself money by buying it now? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
    Could it be Hasbro's way of trying too "defend" itself from 3rd Party companies?

I doubt it. The existence of MP Rodimus is a Japanese driven effort to celebrate Transformers: 2010 which Hasbro has agreed with or it wouldn't have gone ahead.

I don't think Protector had any bearing in the decision to make the MP.
    Last edited by kup; 21st September 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    The funny thing is that these sort of things become even more unaffordable in the months/years after release.

I only started collecting 1yr ago and im having trouble getting an Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp pack for under $100US

So basically im saving myself money by buying it now? lol
    Sad fact, barring a re-release occurs, that is probably the case man- I can feel your pain aswell. A few months ago they weren't even that pricey, since alot more loose UM's were available. Now that those have dried up, the misb sets are the only ones left and hiked up again- I'm glad I got ultra magnus 2nd/3rd hand? unexpectedly for a decent price off TallestBlue here, but damn that set is so pricey. I normally don't get used toys, but for him I had to settle.

I'm still in need of a Hasbro skywarp- and that guy is getting way too pricey for my taste- Ebay charges over 30USD- BIN is at $40USD exc shipping for a loose used one. DAMN. I think I might have to just give up on getting one until another miracle find occurs. Or just grab a couple acidstorms and learn to customize/repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Grievous View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I doubt it. The existence of MP Rodimus is a Japanese driven effort to celebrate Transformers: 2010 which Hasbro has agreed with or it wouldn't have gone ahead.

I don't think Protector had any bearing in the decision to make the MP.
    Agree with Kup here. Logically, it makes sense that this is a mere coincidence.

I have heard of a couple of requests for comparison between Classics and Henkei Rodimus for color differences for best armor suitability.

As you can see, both seem to be of the same (or very close) 'red' color so either version should be suitable for the armor.