Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: FansProject's Protector Armor (Not-Rodimus)

it does. Now I just have to find one!

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Though I've not got both nor have I seen both side by side in real life - I've seen a video review comparing the 2 and I've read about a zillion posts between OTCA, TFW2005 and Seibertron though and all opinions seem to go the same way:

MGT-01 Delicate Warrior -
    Pros: Superior Quality, Cheaper (Seller Dependant), Suits Classicsverse figures.
    Cons: Limited Production number due to this figure being hand-made by 1 guy.

TRNS-1 Valkyrie -
    Pros: Suits G1 figures.
    Cons: Poor Quality Construction/Paint Apps/Materials, Higher Price.

Hope that helps dude.

Very helpful guide! Still missing a classics arcee for my collection but probably going to wait on it since there's too much other stuff that are more of a priority.

Personally, I like the Valkyrie's box more than the Delicate Warrior but I would probably pick up the latter due to the better quality of the actual figure.

On the topic of Protector- Ive only had time to put the armor on rodimus - Haven't properly fiddled with the trailer mode yet. I have to say It looks better in person than from the pics.

My Gripe is the head- and some people have had issue with the face. But I don't mind the face- even though it could have been done more accurately just by removing the helmet parts extending across the face/cheek back. But the real problem is the bloody engine block sticking out on the back. From the side or back view it just looks ghastly and unnatural, and even from the front the head has an unavoidable outline wrecking what is a pretty nice head.

Another issue stems from this design - and that is the chest cavity which holds the head/engine piece in Alt mode.

I wish the head was attached to a separate piece that formed the engine piece- which should slot into that cavity part allowing for a proper autobot insignia. Id rather not even have the engine block and have the back of the head protrude out in vehicle mode and have a decent looking head. Perhaps FP or another company can give us a better head to fix this.

Overall, looking at the final bot mode the armor is much needed and completes the lacking rodimus mould. I think it's an awesome figure, but while the trailer and bot mode is more complex, I think City Commander is still my fav FP upgrade kit of the 2. I can't pin it on any specific thing- although the difference is marginal.

Still waiting on Kup, perceptor and an upgrade kit for Blurr to assemble the team from the attack of autobot city from the movie!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    I just remembered there was a weird hand? accessory its black and white. does anyone know what its for?
    Here:

i dont like the fact the pegs for that handshake are too small

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    i dont like the fact the pegs for that handshake are too small
    Yeah but it doesn't matter. It's just the 'bonus' item and it's not as if your whole decision to get this set is dependent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Yeah but it doesn't matter. It's just the 'bonus' item and it's not as if your whole decision to get this set is dependent on it.
    lol but what if it was? now i have to demand a refund!

This armor is pretty damn awesome! The design is certainly an improvement over City Commander as you don't get that clumsy BFG anymore and the leftover kibble actually serves fairly well as a gun platform. The addition of 'Hot Roller' is also very nice and something that they didn't have to do along with the 'shaking hand' fist (although that one is a bit useless but it's just a bonus). It is also good to note that unlike City Commander, there is more transforming in this set than 'put together' parts and the armor is only composed of relatively few pieces unlike City Commander's 'Omega Supreme' style engineering.

Although the limitations of the Classics Hotrod base figure still carries over to the armor such as the lack of waist joint and clumsy hip joints, the added articulation on the arms serves to counteract those shortcomings reasonably well.

Quality is superb as is to be expected from FansProjects and the set is full of little but thoughtful features clearly showing that they 'get it' such as the popping out flames, articulated barrels, 'flame' sculpt and of course Hot Roller.

The down side of the design for me is that the designer decided to leave the bottom jaw of Classics Hotrod visible as a neck for Not-Rodimus with the sheen serving as an Adam's apple. For someone who is not aware that there is a figure under the armor, the illusion works well enough but because one is aware that Classic Hotrod is under there and that's his sheen, it can be hard to get used to it. However this is a very minor complaint and although it somewhat bothered me at firs, I have grown used to it and understand the creative decision of the designer.

Here is my video gallery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zBqqpRkcbc

Sidearm is also a massive win and like all thing Fan Projects, they make an extra effort for collectors to get the most out of their figures. He transforms in a simple but more elaborate way than G1 targetmasters and the result is effective. in gun mode, Not-Firebolt sports two handles for different size fist holes (such as Hotrod and Protector) and can also be plugged on Hot-Roller. Sidearm thoughtfully comes with chromed wing extenders for owners of Henkei Hotrod who have decided to get Protector but if you don't have the armor, you can attach them to side arm to convert him into an Animated style crossbow so you don't need the armor to make use of them, very thoughtful! Best of all, he is only $10 and very much worth it.

My '86 pic:

3rd Parties FOREVER!
    Last edited by kup; 1st January 2011 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Needs only a kup figure and prolly add MP Grimlock so Wheelie can sit top of his head (dino mode of course heheheh) and some quints in the background mwahahahaha 3rd party products galore!!
    Too right dude!
    Kup, Wreck-gar, I've got MP Grimlock so check and ooh some Quints would indeed be nice!
    Like the Quints here? hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    BTW is Delicate Warrior Arcee a Better choice than Valkyrie?
    From what I heard, I'd say yes (I have Valkyrie).

IMHO? Yes, most definitely.
    Though I've not got both nor have I seen both side by side in real life - I've seen a video review comparing the 2 and I've read about a zillion posts between OTCA, TFW2005 and Seibertron though and all opinions seem to go the same way:

MGT-01 Delicate Warrior -
    Pros: Superior Quality, Cheaper (Seller Dependant), Suits Classicsverse figures.
    Cons: Limited Production number due to this figure being hand-made by 1 guy.

TRNS-1 Valkyrie -
    Pros: Suits G1 figures.
    Cons: Poor Quality Construction/Paint Apps/Materials, Higher Price.

Hope that helps dude.
    Agree on the "poor quality and construction/paint apps" part of Valkyrie.

TFsource have mentioned that FP's Shadow Scyther are en route for those that ordered. I'm assuming RK's stock will come afterwards like Protector did.

I got him today. and Yes, he's awesome. turns a mediocre toy into s great toy. Not as spectacular as City Commander. be cause City Commander fills a glaring hole in my collection, whereas Protector simply enchances. That said there's tons of fun details here, the Battle Station, The Hot Rod themed Roller and Sidearm is a bit of fun too, as I love little tiny robots. Now to get my hands on Defender!

...And Delicate Warrior, unless Hasbro unveils a new Arcee.

Speaking of Arcee, did anyone see the Female Transformer in Protectors comic?

.....I'd give my right arm for a Fansproject Arcee.