Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Generations Kup?!?!

Kup should fit with Generations Blur and Classics Rodimus, so a realistic vehicular alt mode (or as realistic as those lines get) would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I would like to see Kup as a realistic ute. Would be a big improvement over the non-descript "that's meant to be a ute?!" alt mode of G1 Kup. I remember that toy shelf-warming badly in 1986, even after it was discounted to $5.
    I remember the great wall of Kup and Blur selling (or not selling rather) at Big W, not a Hot Rod in sight though.

Me and my friend took Blur and Kup to school, because if they got lost or damaged they could easily be replaced.

I don't remember Kup being a popular character in general. He was the old guy and kids don't like the old guy. Is the desire for a Generations Kup is more about completing the trio of Autobot Cars, (or the Hot Rod/Kup partnership from TFTM), or it's the reimagining work of Kup in the IDW comics that makes him more appealing today?

The thing that appeals to me about Classics/Universe/Henkei/Generations is seeing G1 characters updated with contemporary toy engineering. So a CHUGU Kup would appeal to me primarily for that reason irrespective of whether or not he appeared in IDWverse. Although it would be neat if the toy was inspired by the IDW design (maybe sculpt a cy-gar sticking out from his mouth - as stupid as it looks, the explanation provided for it is pretty cool IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I don't remember Kup being a popular character in general. He was the old guy and kids don't like the old guy. Is the desire for a Generations Kup is more about completing the trio of Autobot Cars, (or the Hot Rod/Kup partnership from TFTM), or it's the reimagining work of Kup in the IDW comics that makes him more appealing today?
    I always liked Kup the character but he was a really mediocre toy. The S-piece label really sticks. I think much of the desire comes from the fact that we've seen many of the G1 characters (esp TFTM ones) given an update and people feel it is simply 'his turn'.

He's a had a couple of oblique homages though I believe.

I wonder if the new toy will come with a cygar.

I think that Kup has become popular in recent years due his portrayal in the IDW comics. Despite all the issue several of us have with Shane McCarthy's writing, his portrayal of Kup in AHM was pretty cool and the cygar rocked. Roche's fine writing with the previous Spotlight and post AHM stories featuring Kup have added to the character's popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    He's a had a couple of oblique homages though I believe.
    Yes, Brakedown GTS from Cybertron gave that old Autobot Kup's colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot
    I don't remember Kup being a popular character in general. He was the old guy and kids don't like the old guy.
    The "old guy" is usually likeable if they're the archetypical mentor to the hero, like Gandalf or Obi-Wan Kenobi. Sure, Hot Rod is the main hero in TFTM, but Kup's more like a nagging grandfather than a proper mentor who guides Hot Rod on his journey to becoming Rodimus Prime. IDW Kup has more of a mentor-like persona/role (so much so that his former students risked lives to save him) which makes him more appealing than the G1 version to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I wonder if the new toy will come with a cygar.
    I dont think so, imagine the bad publicity this will automatically arouse with parents. Tfs are primarily targetted for kids ( whether we like it or not) and I can just see it now....

Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

hmmm fair point. It's not as if Wolverine toys come with cigars either.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    hmmm fair point. It's not as if Wolverine toys come with cigars either.
    I'll just use the spare one from nicholas wolfwood.