Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The non-toy Star Wars discussion thread

I'm with Gok here, because that's the first thing running through my mind as well when I saw the flash swings. I know it's Star Wars for chrissakes and it's make belief dialed to 11, but it's difficult to hush the part of me that does Iaido...

In anycase I hope for better choreography in the new movies, not a deal breaker if it doesn't though.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    It's...a...movie.

Alternate lightsabre duel scene:
    * Jedi thrusts lightsabre through evil guy's heart before he/she/non-gender can block.
    * Evil guy drops dead.
    * Main fight sequence over.
    * Film ends.
    ** Angry film go-ers start a riot in the movie theatre **
    Or they just get a sniper to kill the bad guy. Or a suicide droid packed with explosives

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Or they just get a sniper to kill the bad guy. Or a suicide droid packed with explosives
    Seems a much simpler plot lol
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

Quote Originally Posted by Raptormesh View Post
    I know it's Star Wars for chrissakes and it's make belief dialed to 11, but it's difficult to hush the part of me that does Iaido...
    I think one 'disadvantage' of being a martial artist is that it is much harder (if not impossible) to get ourselves to stop analysing every move as if it were a real fight. Although I think the same can be said about anything that an audience member may have studied or have an affinity for (science, geography, languages etc.). Like that 'Australian' Jaeger pilot in Pacific Rim with the really bad attempt at an Australian accent. A lot of Americans might think it sounds "true blue Aussie," but as an Australia, you know that you just can't switch off that part of your brain that keeps on hearing it as an American trying to sound Australian (but not quite succeeding).

I once had this phone conversation with an American TF fan...
    "Why don't you sound Australian?"
    "I do sound Australian."
    "No, I mean, like..."
    "Steve Irwin?"
    "Yeah!"
    "Well wah dun't you tahk lahk For-rest Gurmp?"
    "Fair point."

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGalvatron View Post
    Seems a much simpler plot lol
    That's why assassin droids are deadly, although Force Sensitives have a better chance of surviving them. Snipers and assassins aren't generally used against Force Sensitives (unless the assassin is another Force adept), because often the Force user will either sense a disturbance in the Force (thus they lose the element of surprise), and/or they can use their Force powers against a Droid. Worse still if the droid is using a living weapon, like the droid that tried to kill Padmé with those worms, presumably the malicious intent of those creatures tipped off Anakin and Obi-Wan who raced into Padmé's room and thwarted them.

This is why Palpatine went through the elaborate effort of building the Clone Army as a means of destroying the Jedi. Through years of fighting together, he allowed the Jedi to form a bond with the Clones. Anakin Skywalker was among the first Jedi to insist on giving the Clones names and treating them more like equal humans, rather than as a sub-class. This is why you see Clones walking around with names in Episode III (Oddball, Cody, Gree etc.), and in the expanded universe content (e.g. Rex, Heavy, Fives etc.); a far cry from the dehumanising codes given to Imperial Stormtroopers (e.g. TK421 etc.). The Jedi grew to implicitly trust their Clone brethren. The Clones were of course, genetically bred to take orders without question or emotion. When Order 66 was enacted, they attacked the Jedi without any malice will, thus they didn't generate any disturbance in the Force. Even when Yoda was able to sense his Clones' betrayal, it may not have been the Clones' fault -- he may have started sensing the suffering of his fellow Jedi from across the galaxy just moments before Gree and his troops entered his hut. One of the reasons why Order 66 had to be executed simultaneously was to reduce the chances of Jedi detecting the suffering of other Jedi, but since Yoda wasn't actually on the front lines at the time, coupled with his probable heightened Force sensitivity, may have given him a slight advantage that most other Jedi didn't have. Even then, Yoda wasn't aware of the full extent of what had happened until after he returned to the Jedi Temple.

So yeah, Force Sensitives can be assassinated, but it's bloody hard!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    It's definitely what I'd do.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes... While Jedi's deal with .50 cals"

*SWOOSH*
    *THUD*

"heh, heh, heh. Shall we, Padme?"

Or just get Han to shoot first.

Given the Empire only employs cross eyed marksmen, I think the good guys can be forgiven for grandstanding given their foes incompetence.

I sort of know what you mean about suspension of disbelief with less realistic fight scenes, but I think it depends on the tone of the film. A unrealistic fight scene can be utterly entertaining in the right circumstances.

Star Wars I do not see as particularly grounded in reality, it follows the big flashy and stupid style and is subject only to it's own nonsensical rules, the lightsaber battles are just one aspect of this. There are also the space battles where lumbering ships fight at point blank range and have ridiculous vulnerabilities, or the so called elite clone/storm troopers who are terrible marksmen and wear useless armour. Star Wars fight scenes are meant to be flashy and entertaining but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

That's why assassin droids are deadly
    Query: you rang, meatbag?

I just realised that Kylo Ren a.k.a the bad guy in the Force Awakened trailer looks quite similiar to Starkiller's Sith Stalker Armour in Force Unleashed.
    Last edited by UltimateGalvatron; 12th December 2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Fixed Spelling

Holy crap! The actor that plays Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones is playing Captain Phasma in The Force Awakens!!!