Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: All Hail Megatron Issues 1 to 6 (Vol 1)

That colouring book is vaugely familiar, I think I had it...... once.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    (I like this comment from TFwiki - "inconsistent proportions that'd make Pat Lee proud" )
    IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

I never said that I didn't like the humour in TFwiki, I said that I don't think it's appropriate - and I still stand by it. Just because it's funny doesn't mean it should be there. Anyway, I've already outlined my reasons for why I feel that way and I don't want to be derailing this thread which should just be about AHM.

New Drift Character cover:

http://www.seibertron.com/transforme...ailable/14825/

I can't say I like it. IMO, Drift smells of the typical fan character who is all powerful, 'coolest' and unbeatable. I know its just a cover but based on what we have seen so far I reckon its possible. AHM does feel more like a fan fic overall and the way this Drift character is being promoted seems to point that way from what I can see.

We shall see by the next issue but there is a chance that I am wrong as the Autobots have been the saving grace of this series with their excellent portrayal and book covers have proven (mostly) to be non representative of the actual story so the character could end up being interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean here, Transformers comics may be flopping, but AHM's sales numbers don't actualy affect my opinon of it one iota. Most of my favourte issues of the past TF comics series come from when they were near the end of thier runs, this is true for me at least for the US Marvel G1 comic, Dreamwaves G1,Gen 2, and the IDW "ation series" The only exception si the end of the run of the Marvel G1 Uk comic, which bugged me for much the same reasons that AHM does.
    What I'm simply trying to say is that there are a lot of fans who live in denial about how brilliant their run was when all it did was tank. There has to be a reason for that. And this bashing of AHM, I feel, is completely unwarranted. What I've tried to point out is that IDW needed to go in a different direction and we need to grow up and accept that. Successful or not, AHM was that step in a different direction. It was necessary but too many seem to be so absorbed with the continuity issues of a miserably tanking series by Furman.

Sales aren't everything but you've got to appreciate it must look pretty bad for IDW to have sales dropping like flies when TFs have an all new level of publicity and success. It'd be downright incompetent to allow Furman continuing without trying something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    The writters grab a bunch of recognisable G1 favourtes and then give all the lines and development to the ones who have already been established, Prowl, Starscream, Ironhide, HotRod, Kup and Grimlock for example. I don't see AHM breaking this mould,
    I don't either but as I tried to point out in the other post, IDW had to try something and it went for the big gun approach which is used commonly across the comic industry by others like DC or Marvel. New Avengers w/ Spider-Man and Wolverine made no sense to me at all. But it worked b/c it took the big names along with a big creative team to make it work. G.I. JOE to me seems to be similar. So what's wrong with a writer grabbing a bunch of recognisable G1 favourites? Do we want a team of the Firecons and Triggercons to really attract a readership? Good luck. I think there needs to be balance between new and old but I have no issue at all if IDW want to try the big fun formula. Good luck to them and I understand why there was a need for a shake up.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    AHM does feel more like a fan fic overall and the way this Drift character is being promoted seems to point that way from what I can see.
    I really don't like the term "fanfic" being used in such a derogatory manner. It smacks of a very snobby reader who thinks they can define what is good fiction. You could easily apply "fanfic' to what Furman was doing with his Spotlights and "-tion" series too. It could be viewed he was way too busy with too many plotlines going on, had too much love for that random character that no one cares about who is all of a sudden the big bad or the big hero, no concept of pacing etc,. But no. It'd be better to say he poorly constructed the stories.

Perhaps a better word is "amateurish" but I think that McCarthy has to have some grasp of fiction more than us as its not like we got the call up to write Transformers. AHM, to me, reads like a popcorn flick at the movies. It's there for the thrills and its not very much deeper than that though it does have moments. Not that there's a problem with that, perhaps IDW is aiming for a different flavour to what Furman originally had. I mean, the last thing they'd want is to try and revitalise their line with the same vibe in the comic as the one before it which led to such a decline in sales numbers.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    New Drift Character cover:

http://www.seibertron.com/transforme...ailable/14825/

I can't say I like it. IMO, Drift smells of the typical fan character who is all powerful, 'coolest' and unbeatable. I know its just a cover but based on what we have seen so far I reckon its possible. AHM does feel more like a fan fic overall and the way this Drift character is being promoted seems to point that way from what I can see.

We shall see by the next issue but there is a chance that I am wrong as the Autobots have been the saving grace of this series with their excellent portrayal and book covers have proven (mostly) to be non representative of the actual story so the character could end up being interesting.
    What do you expect though. He is getting made into a toy right? And since there isn't a cartoon they'll want to make him look cool and everything so we'll go out and buy toy.
    I actually think he will be a try hard. He will try to be all cool and unbeatable, and then he will get his ass handed to him on a platter.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    What do you expect though. He is getting made into a toy right? And since there isn't a cartoon they'll want to make him look cool and everything so we'll go out and buy toy.
    I actually think he will be a try hard. He will try to be all cool and unbeatable, and then he will get his ass handed to him on a platter.
    A tired formula but if he gets his butt handed to him on a platter, that would make the character more appealing in the long run as he would have to reflect on his 'awesomeness'

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    I really don't like the term "fanfic" being used in such a derogatory manner. It smacks of a very snobby reader who thinks they can define what is good fiction. You could easily apply "fanfic' to what Furman was doing with his Spotlights and "-tion" series too. It could be viewed he was way too busy with too many plotlines going on, had too much love for that random character that no one cares about who is all of a sudden the big bad or the big hero, no concept of pacing etc,. But no. It'd be better to say he poorly constructed the stories.

Perhaps a better word is "amateurish" but I think that McCarthy has to have some grasp of fiction more than us as its not like we got the call up to write Transformers. AHM, to me, reads like a popcorn flick at the movies. It's there for the thrills and its not very much deeper than that though it does have moments. Not that there's a problem with that, perhaps IDW is aiming for a different flavour to what Furman originally had. I mean, the last thing they'd want is to try and revitalise their line with the same vibe in the comic as the one before it which led to such a decline in sales numbers.
    My comment was not meant to degrade fan fics as many of them are very good particularly if you see the Mosaics but at the same time, there are a huge amount of fan boyish ones that I have encountered on the net which follow a very similar formula that we are seeing in All Hail Megatron in which the author seems to only be aware of the G1 cartoon.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't call AHM a new direction. Its a very old and tired formula as far as the Decepticons are concerned which is most of the story so far. Furman's current (or previous?) direction wasn't making the money either despite being pretty original and unique take on Transformers but going from 'new that doesn't sell' to 'old and tired' wasn't the way to go and it seems that the sale figures are proving that as they are not significantly increased.

Furman in the past has shown the ability to drastically change direction while still maintaining the integrity of the present universe so I don't see why he couldn't of done it this time.

Something else, many of us would have been much more accepting of this new take if it was indeed a new continuity instead of it being shoehorned into the previous one creating so many gaps and discrepancies which mostly serve to as a deterrent to the established reader base than something that will serve to increase reader numbers.
    Last edited by kup; 29th December 2008 at 12:41 AM.

i wonder if this IDW Megatron will ever become Galvatron

im willing to bet an imaginary dollar that, they fix/frick around with the timeline somehow and the invasion of Earth never happens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    i wonder if this IDW Megatron will ever become Galvatron

im willing to bet an imaginary dollar that, they fix/frick around with the timeline somehow and the invasion of Earth never happens!!!
    They already have a Galvatron. Maybe if he does change his form he will rename himself after him
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|