Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891424 ... LastLast

Thread: All Hail Megatron Issues 1 to 6 (Vol 1)

Calling Hook a rookie was an interesting development. At first I took it as him being a rookie on Earth, but then I got to thinking (never a good thing), and I started to wonder if perhaps McCarthy is pretending (or is potentially even unaware) of the events that occurred in Megatron: origins and will have the Constructicons (and perhaps Frenzy) as "new" bots made in the recent past, rather than bots that have been around for millennia.

I'm still not sure that Mc Carthy himself is sure if AHM is to be in continuity with the Furman-verse or not, there are a number of small things that contradict or pull into question what has already been established. Hopefully things like combiner tech working so quickly after being such a problematic tech, Ore 13 missing (not existing), the origins of certain characters and whatnot can be dealt with sooner rather than later.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Calling Hook a rookie was an interesting development.
    Heehee. Just had a thought about Issue 3. I would love it (in a mad way as nod to continuity-muck ups) if Megatron looks out at the destruction Devastator is doing and says "They were worth the time we spent building them"

I think from the start the story wasn't intended to be part of the universe. Fact of the matter is that sales on the TF titles had been in a steep decline down to the lowest levels in years. And AHM is intended to be a fresh direction but IDW didn't want to alienate the fans already following the monthly. I'm in entire agreement with FFN here. The whole debacle is only so bad b/c IDW maintain its part of the grand scheme of things. The design, the story just does not resonate that. Of course, I don't personally care b/c all I want is a good TF story and I've yet to even read the first issue yet but the art is definitely compensation for mediocre story if the vibe I'm getting from this thread is correct.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I like the colouring by Josh, but I'm not a real fan of Guido's penciling in AHM. I much preferred his work in Spotlight: Galvatron.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Mmm... I'm still kinda confused about this story's place in the IDW-verse. Some things (that others have mentioned) makes it feel out of continuity, yet other things like talking about the Machination suggests that it's in continuity. So I'd really like McCarthy to answer the question of whether this story is meant to be in continuity or not!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    I'm still not sure that Mc Carthy himself is sure if AHM is to be in continuity with the Furman-verse or not, there are a number of small things that contradict or pull into question what has already been established. Hopefully things like combiner tech working so quickly after being such a problematic tech, Ore 13 missing (not existing), the origins of certain characters and whatnot can be dealt with sooner rather than later.
    McCarthy himself has confirmed repeatedly (as part of damage control) that AHM is part of the continuity Furman established. I remain highly skeptical.

I think the line referring to the Machination is something of an afterthought.

What concerns me about AHM or whatever upcoming is the new 'Drift' character. The description they gave of him seems like somebody vomited Japanese stereotypes and pop culture into Transformer form, and he sounds like McCarthy's self-insertion fanfic "BADASS" type of character.

Anybody remember the Wreckers/Universe BotCon/OTFCC comic version of Devcon? The fan writer wrote him as a BADASS loner jerk character, despite his only previous fictional appearance making him out to be a pretty nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    Anybody remember the Wreckers/Universe BotCon/OTFCC comic version of Devcon? The fan writer wrote him as a BADASS loner jerk character, despite his only previous fictional appearance making him out to be a pretty nice guy.
    Devcon was a cool character. Even though he only appeared once, I loved the sci-fi vibe he resonated. I think he was a jerk but I think he definitely was a loner. Why else would he be out there as a bounty hunter on his lonesome. He was conversational with Smokescreen w/out being a jerk so the OTFCC bums got that wrong.
    Last edited by STL; 27th August 2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Dopeyness is Sin
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

Remember that it's been 300+ years between Devcon in G1 and Beast-era... a lot could've happened to change him into a brooding loner.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Remember that it's been 300+ years between Devcon in G1 and Beast-era... a lot could've happened to change him into a brooding loner.
    Like lazy lame@$$ writing?

Devcon was a nice guy in the G1 cartoon ep he appeared in. There were far more assholes back on Earth.

Walky explained to me that the writer was a big fan of Devcon, but for some reason remembered him being meaner than he actually was. Nobody has been able to answer my question HOW can you misremember a character's ONLY previous official ficional appearance to such a degree that you get their entire personality wrong?

Methinks the Botcon/OTFCC writer just made Devcon his self-insertion character.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    HOW can you misremember a character's ONLY previous official ficional appearance to such a degree that you get their entire personality wrong?
    See my previous answer:

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Like lazy lame@$$ writing?

...although it fits in with the whole Beast Machines thing where many characters suddenly became entirely different for no apparent reason! e.g.: Megatron, Rhinox, Rattrap et al.!

But yeah... I think STL's appraisal is correct.