Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7172223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: All Hail Megatron Issues 1 to 6 (Vol 1)

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Right, and this post you posted just above was what? If Hereticpoo added an emoticon that'd make it okay too?
    Sky Shadow was responding to your response to his comment with a fair point about casual fans. Your follow up comment about "casual TF comic fans" I think is however a good one and one that all should keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    STL, you are so far from being a 'casual fan' that if a casual fan was lightning and you saw him or her in the distance, it would take you a week to hear the thunder.
    Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Right, and this post you posted just above was what? If Hereticpoo added an emoticon that'd make it okay too?
    STL, I think you've misinterpreted my metaphor - I was saying that with the extreme amount you know about Transformers and your engagement with the fandom that you are far from being a casual fan (hence the joke about lightning and distance.) It may have been badly phrased but it wasn't meant to be an attack, it was meant to be a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    STL, I think you've misinterpreted my metaphor - I was saying that with the extreme amount you know about Transformers and your engagement with the fandom that you are far from being a casual fan (hence the joke about lightning and distance.) It may have been badly phrased but it wasn't meant to be an attack, it was meant to be a compliment.
    In that case, thank you. Maybe I'm just used to getting to many people always praising me in glowing terms.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Similarly I think Megatron Origin doesn't fit well into the grander IDW universe, but thinking about it this morning maybe it and AHM are there own little cartoon-like universe, which I'm very happy to consider.
    Megatron Origin was originally written for Dreamwave's continuity, which is why the characters have cartoon-like personalities.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

I wrote a big review for Issue 6 but the server failed during the night (this has been happening the last few nights) and what I wrote was lost

Anyway, here is the brief version of what I wrote:

Personally, I enjoyed this issue for the most part. We actually saw some characterisation on Decepticons who usually don't get much more than background appearances such as Thundercracker and Skywarp arguing with Bombshell. It was also good to see Starscream showing a bit more brain than the cartoon persona and more in line with the Furman IDW stories and maybe the Marvel G1 character.I also enjoyed the first part of the Autobots as they were trying to reorganize themselves into a military force in order to strike back at the Decepticons. It was awesome to get a brief insight on Roadbuster. Overall it was a pretty good issue with a lot of characterization.

BUT

The overall story seems to be heading to a very predictable conclusion and despite it being 6 issues into this series, NOTHING much has happened. The whole series could easily be condensed in just a couple of issues or a single half hour episode if it were a cartoon.

Now Drift..

His first appearance was rather brief particularly since IDW has been pushing this character a fair bit but DAMN! he is every bit as bad as I thought he would be. He is basically the sort of character that a 13 year old would come up with in which he is 'UBBER' powerful, smooth and unbeatable, AKA: 'Awesomely cool'. Hopefully his appearance in AHM will be limited from now but something tells me that he is going to be getting centerstage appearances during the rest of the series.

In my oppinion this Drift character has the potential of ruining the only real strength that AHM has which is the Autobot's side of the story. If that is ruined by Drift then there isn't much of a point to continue reading as the rest of the story is rather mediocre and its not hard to see where its leading.

I have to agree with the TF wiki on this one, Drift is pretty much the Poochy the dog of Transformers.
    Last edited by kup; 15th January 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I have to agree with the TF wiki on this one, Drift is pretty much the Poochy the dog of Transformers.
    So does that mean we'll soon get an issue when he is killed of then, and in the letter collumn there will be a signed statment saying he's dead forever?

As a Munchkin Drift would have to die in martyrdom, and not from some completely random even like say how Roadbuster, Misfire, Hardhead and Bomb-Burst died in G1. Cos nobody dies randomly in war! (/sarcasm)

I never read the Furman comics growing up. I did borrow Matrix Quest from the library at uni a few years ago - I enjoyed it but the art didn't gel with me.

I read most of the DW transformers comics mainly because my bro was buying it. It had its ups and downs.

I wasn't reading Furman's IDW -ation comics as they were coming out because I read the preview for Infiltration and was a bit 'meh' (probably because it was just humans humans humans).

I've since gone back and read Furman's IDW -ation comics and I really enjoyed it.

Now. To the topic at hand:
    I really enjoy AHM!
    I understand and can appreciate the frustration going around over how it's not continuing Furman's storyline - and I was really looking forward to seeing how the Headmaster thing was going to pan out (having been raised on the Japanese HM/MF/V series' I thought it was great to see some Headmaster action happening) but there's been no resolution for that yet - but point is I'm still enjoying AHM.

Every month that I pick up an issue - I sit, read - and I come out really having enjoyed it. Sure, it's not resolving some of the things I would like to find out about - but then again I'm not that bothered by it - point is for me I suppose is that I've been enjoying every single issue, every step of the way and my real complaint is that I'd like to have them all now. :\ Spoilt by having been able to read all the others in the one go I suppose -

So, while I understand and can appreciate the frustration over the unresolved storyline - I say - be patient, see how this whole thing pans out - and if it actually resolves some of the things I'm looking forward to, great - if it doesn't - whoop dee doo - having been a fan of the Wildstorm Universe and having had titles cancelled from under me has taught me an important lesson: enjoy it in the moment.
    Otherwise I'd just be griping and complaining rather than enjoying what it is for what it is

Oh - right - that's the other thing I don't like about this comic - seems to be that if the person draws crazy-awesome bots - they don't do the humans as well most of the time. Personally, it appears to be so here too

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128
    I did borrow Matrix Quest from the library at uni a few years ago - I enjoyed it but the art didn't gel with me.
    Yeah but how would you feel if you'd read Matrix Quest in 1990 when it came out? I don't know about you but it absolutely blew me the frell away! It was the Matrix Quest that convinced me to abandon buying TF comics from newsagents and go into a comic shop and establish a standing order where I could pre-order my TF comics - that standing order that I set up in 19 years ago is the same standing order which I use to get my IDW TF comics today!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah but how would you feel if you'd read Matrix Quest in 1990 when it came out?
    Haha gok!
    Funny you say that - but I was even more picky with art styles back then! So I don't think I would have even picked it up back then :b
    Over the years I've come to appreciate different styles - but still the art style and colouring of Matrix Quest didn't and still doesn't appeal to me

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther