Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom: Classics Rotorstorm

I always thought that mold had a distinct Rotorstorm feel to it. I am also looking forward to seeing it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Are you able to elaborate a bit more, gamblor? I get that mixing white into red makes pink but clear and clear red? Are there clear paints out there or are you talking about a wash?
    I know you can buy clear paints in a can (they use them for the clear radio controlled car bodies to get the translucent effect) but I wonder how to get rid of the yellow already in place on the clear plastic? Painting the clear pink over the top would surely result in a brown-orange hue?

Since the rotor blades will be a solid pink, maybe it would be easier to just do the same over the cockpit?

At this stage I'll be painting them using Mr Hobby fluorescent pink acrylic paint. If it looks awful I'll explore different options but I'm hoping it'll turn out okay!
    You are a more patient man than I, I always give up after a few coats when painting a lighter colour over a dark colour, all that sanding and masking!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Are you able to elaborate a bit more, gamblor? I get that mixing white into red makes pink but clear and clear red? Are there clear paints out there or are you talking about a wash?
    I'm sure you can find clear paints where you bought your other paints. Just mix it by eye and go easy on the spraying.

Totally looking forward to this as it's something I intended to do when I first saw pix of the toy!

Haven't been able to find one for cheap enough to buy it though. :S
    Either way; looking forward to it bro!!

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Erm any new developments?
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Yeah sorry for the lack of updates fellow bots. Going from a desk job to a network field engineer in the last few weeks has knocked the stuffing out of me and as a result my hobbies haven't been at the forefront of my attention. Hopefully I'll be able to do a bit of work on ol' Rotorstorm this weekend or the next so stay tuned. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!

Dangit. I thought there was an update! Lol

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128 View Post
    Dangit. I thought there was an update! Lol
    Haha, sorry to disappoint, lcz128. All in good time my friends.

But I want an update nooowwww......

Hey bots, small update for today. Rotorstorm has been primed and will be ready for his first coat of paint next weekend. As I've finally started the ball rolling on this one, updates should be a tad more consistent from now on.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the Tamiya Fine Primer is soooooo much better than the Mr Hobby stuff, it goes on like an absolute dream with no transparency at all. I'l be using Mr Hobby acrylics for the main paint though, does anyone have any experience in terms of paint/thinner ratio for this stuff or is it still a case of getting the milky consistency? I've heard the Mr Hobby acrylics are pretty thin to begin with so I might just add a tiny bit of Tamiya acrylic thinner. What could possibly go wrong??

Another thing I wanted to ask for anyone in the know, is it best to airbrush the smallest parts first, tape them up (when dry obviously) then do the largest bits last (to avoid having to tape huge sections)? It seems most people spray the whole object in the main colour and go from there, but surely that means they have to go through a lot more tape??

Oh and in regards to the cockpit, I'm going to take i_amtrunks' advice and simply spray it the same colour as the 'blades (hot pink).