Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom: Classics Rotorstorm

Default Custom: Classics Rotorstorm

I feel the need, the need for another custom! After reading the inspiringly brilliant Last Stand of the Wreckers (if you haven't read it, you're missing out on the best thing since TFA Season 3) and falling in love with Rotorstorm's awesome portrayal (was so pleased at how well they handled his character being a huge fan of the G1 Euro Turbomaster toys) I thought what would be cooler than a modern interpretation of the fantastic Rotorstorm!

This custom will be similar to my last (Earth TFA Wasp) in so far as I'll be repainting a modern Transformer (in this case, HFTD Tomahawk) and customising the head. I may decide to use another head but I'll first see how I go at sculpting on details to Tomahawks head (it's a perfect canvas, the eyes inparticular are spot-on).

For this project I'll be using Tamiya Acrylic/Enamel Primer (the Mr Hobby primer you see in the background has horrible coverage imo) and then Mr Hobby acrylic paints. I would have gone with Tamiya enamels but they didn't have the colours needed for this project like the hot pink. I hand painted Wasp but for Rotorstorm I'll be using my new Iwata airbrush.

Oh and before someone else mentions it, yes I know I forgot the main ultramarine blue colour paint. Damn brain...Expect more pics as I go!

HFTD Tomahawk moments before being totally pwned by a screwdriver and sandpaper

After the accident

Goodluck DoubleDealer, your Wasp was excellent and I eagerly await this..
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Ooh!, I'm looking forward to this one! - Good luck Doubledealer.

What I love most about these is your confidence, Doubledealer - you post what you're going to do before you do it and then show us the process and progress. And if Wasp is anything to go by, Rotorstorm will be amazing.

Wreckers: combine!

Looking forward to see what you come up with. Good luck.

Cant wait to see the progress pics, Rotorstorm is a longtime favourite of mine too.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad you're all looking forward to seeing how Rotorstorm turns out as much as I am! And cheers Sky Shadow, I think it's more fun for everyone if I show the whole process from why I'm doing it, how I'm doing it and which tools I use along the way. At the end of the day it's all experimental fun (had an absolute ball customising Wasp), and if I can take others along for the ride then all the better!

I was thinking for Rotorstorm's transparent pink cockpit, maybe it would be worth using some pink contact paper, like they use for protecting school books. What do you guys think? I can at least give it a go as it would be easy to just pull off I spose...Dyeing clear plastic is one thing I haven't tried yet and it scares me more than anything.

For the transparent pink I think it would be easiest to just mix clear and clear red and lightly spray it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    I was thinking for Rotorstorm's transparent pink cockpit, maybe it would be worth using some pink contact paper, like they use for protecting school books. What do you guys think? I can at least give it a go as it would be easy to just pull off I spose...Dyeing clear plastic is one thing I haven't tried yet and it scares me more than anything.
    If you can find the bright day glow pink clear contact, it cant hurt to try it (wonder if it could be used in light piping if you are messing around with the head...)

If this custom takes you 3 months to finish, all the contact wrapper rolls should be out just after Christmas in time for back to school, so if it is out there, that is when it will be found!

How are you going to attempt to turn the black rotor blades the same shade of fluro pink?
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    For the transparent pink I think it would be easiest to just mix clear and clear red and lightly spray it.
    Are you able to elaborate a bit more, gamblor? I get that mixing white into red makes pink but clear and clear red? Are there clear paints out there or are you talking about a wash?

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    If you can find the bright day glow pink clear contact, it cant hurt to try it (wonder if it could be used in light piping if you are messing around with the head...)

If this custom takes you 3 months to finish, all the contact wrapper rolls should be out just after Christmas in time for back to school, so if it is out there, that is when it will be found!

How are you going to attempt to turn the black rotor blades the same shade of fluro pink?
    Thanks for your advice, Trunks. The rotor blades are a tricky one! The most annoying thing about them is I can't find any way of removing them from the body short of snapping or sawing them off (neither of which can be done easily from what I can tell). At this stage I'll be painting them using Mr Hobby fluorescent pink acrylic paint. If it looks awful I'll explore different options but I'm hoping it'll turn out okay!