View Poll Results: Would you find location information useful for member sales?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; I think it's a great idea

4 25.00%
  • No; I don't see the value

7 43.75%
  • Maybe; not bothered either way

5 31.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sales Thread Suggestion

Default Sales Thread Suggestion

Just wondering if it's possible to have sub-sections in the Members' Transformers Sales thread based on the location / state of the items being offered? Would this be too much work? What do others think of this idea?

One of the main reasons I ask is because I prefer local pickup e.g. Parra Fair.

If this is not achievable, would it be possible to add a search featured based on state? This would save time going through all the sales threads.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I often check the member profile of those i'm buying off to see if i can organise a pick up. This idea would save some time. Then again the members i've brought off have been excellent so wouldn't want to limit myself to area.
    Still a good idea though

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Just wondering if it's possible to have sub-sections in the Members' Transformers Sales thread based on the location / state of the items being offered? Would this be too much work? What do others think of this idea?

One of the main reasons I ask is because I prefer local pickup e.g. Parra Fair.

If this is not achievable, would it be possible to add a search featured based on state? This would save time going through all the sales threads.
    New sections can be created or trialled if there is deemed enough traffic for it, or a significant demand for it.

Topics can be tagged (with locations or pick-up options), and then search the tags in that section. And people can tag other people's topics as well, if you wanted.

And we do have one search feature based on location, in the members listing (to take note of those in your state/city for future reference)... but that'd only work if people put their location in the location field.

This is a terrible idea, i don't want to browse five subsections just to see all the sales threads available.

The tagging option is better idea, or better yet just enforce a standard where you must put the state in the thread title. So if you're only after a local buy you just browse the sales threads originating from your state.

e.g "WA - Lint's Super Awesome Sale"

This isn't ideal for me as the stuff I sell is spread across multiple states.

I don't think it's a bad idea, maybe not separate sub-threads, but definitely the 'Tagged' approach IMO.

Mind you, I do enjoy perusing the OTCA Shopping Mall thread regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    i don't want to browse five subsections just to see all the sales threads available.

The tagging option is better idea, or better yet just enforce a standard where you must put the state in the thread title. So if you're only after a local buy you just browse the sales threads originating from your state.

e.g "WA - Lint's Super Awesome Sale"
    Agreed. I'm usually a buyer so that would make it easier if I wanted to buy from only Victoria.

However I'd like to see what everyone has.
    So the 'state - sale name' would be my preference
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    And we do have one search feature based on location, in the members listing (to take note of those in your state/city for future reference)... but that'd only work if people put their location in the location field.
    I don't know how others feel, but I prefer to leave out location details in my profile as this can be seen by anyone browsing the forums. If we tag sale threads with the location you know that anyone viewing them has been a contributor to the board and can be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    This is a terrible idea, i don't want to browse five subsections just to see all the sales threads available.
    Ouch, what do you really think?

I like the idea of 'state - sale name'. That's a good work-around
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I like the idea of 'state - sale name'. That's a good work-around
    It works. Didn't really think about those of us that don't put our location in the fields. This would save time and avoid having to create new sections that people would have to trawl through

Using tags and saving your searches is a better idea but it requires a little bit of education and most sellers to use this feature. If I see WA in the thread title im inclined to think it is a pickup only sale and jaydisc can add multiple tags for his locations which would help a little.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose