Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Voyager Sentinel Prime

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Titans Return
    Size/class - voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Remold of Astrotrain
    Wave - 1
    Released here - July 2016

I know very little about the character in the comics, but I really like the robot design and color scheme. And although this mold was clearly designed as Astrotrain first, I don't think the armored train mode works that well for him.

SPACESHIP MODE:

It's very well designed with some clever panel folding to make the fuselage streamlined. There's lots of sculpted detail that could use some paint to highlight them, but it's not as bad as the train mode. Conceivably you can take a Gundam marker to quickly highlight the canopy windows.

The interactivity with 5mm weapons that can seat Titan Masters has won me over. Great fun. Although the peg holes on the grey hinge pieces seem to be a bit too big. They're made in unpaintable PVC, so maybe it's hard to control tolerance.

TRAIN MODE:

I really like the steampunk-esque design on the train engine, with the heavy armor and artillery. A reviewer compared this mode to the train in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. And I feel that the train mode suits Sentinel Prime a lot better than Astrotrain, who has never been a heavily armed train.

Again, it could use more paint to pick out the sculpted details, especially on the train engine and the gun turrets.

It is an impressive long train. The front rows of wheels on the fold out panel are inexplicably left unpainted..

TRANSFORMATION:
    Very simple and effective. Both alt modes have multiple tabs that lock together very well. The overall transformation design kinda gives me a “Brave" vibe. It is also very similar to Don Figueroa's War Within design

ROBOT MODE:

I quote like the robot mode design. The head sculpt is very Prime-ish and the overall color scheme works well and manages to make the body look less Astrotrain. The retractable collar piece is clearly to homage Astrotrain's shoulder wheels in the cartoon, so I sometimes leave it retracted in the body.

Articulation is average modern transformer level. When the collar piece is up it limits the side to side of the head, but it can rotate about 30 degrees either direction. So you still can get about 45 degrees rotation.

TITAN MASTER:

His little Titan Master dude Infinitus is a just a mini version of him, with painted red face. On a small figure like this a little paint goes a long way.

Although they claim the heads work on all size classes, I think the individual Titans Masters are designed more to interact with Deluxe figures. The head sizes do vary and hey look ridiculously small on a Voyager body.

Overall, I think it is an excellent triple changer. Astrotrain is the better execution of this mold, with more paint apps to highlight the details. But I do think the train mode suits Sentinel Prime a lot better. He's worth picking up if you like the character design, or just like armored steampunk space train with orange burning justice!
    Last edited by doublespy; 24th July 2016 at 12:20 AM.