Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers Prime cartoon reviews/comments (spoilers)

It would be interesting if they went that way, but I hope he will be male.

Anybody notice the brief use of footage from War for Cybertron at the beginning of Prime's flashback?
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

Soundwave could be like Bumblebee - he might not actually speak, or doesn't need to.

I saw episode 2 this morning, and wasn't too impressed with the resolution of Cliffjumper. That face and rage, with Megatron's organically corpse-like face is gonna give kids nightmares.
    Still surprised that a death occured so early, in a CG show. I'd still expect that they will re-use the animation model some how, to make the most out of its expense.

Quite a few concepts and terms from WFC, like the name Dark Energon, but also a few conflicting things as well, like what is Dark Energon...

More confusion for the kiddies.
    It's as bad as reusing character names in parallel series - too many similar but different concepts will just make it difficult to work out and/or remember what each one is/does for each series. And not just for the kiddies, but us collectors as well.

I quite enjoyed it. The character designs are not so movie like that I want to vomit when I see them. Shame about Cliffjumper as I liked the design and personality, although having the Rock play his character would probably have cost them a bit. Wouldn't mind seeing some more of Cliff through flashbacks or something. Didn't expect it to be so dark, so that was a pleasent surprise for me. Wonder what the Parents of America will think though.

Prime's face. Sorry, can't get over it. The 'vent' thing that is always in his forehead (and in this case covers his nose) just looks way too huge.

Interestingly, with the WFC references and as Griff pointed pointed out, the Dark Energon not fitting in. It actually fits quite nicely with the WFC: Exodus book as that had Dark Energon coming from the same sourcee, although in Exodus it was used as a powerup for decepticons, and didn't touch on the ressurection thing. Bumblebee couldn't speak in that either.

Digging the Tf chars a lot at the moment. Glad to see Steve Blum doing his other voice for Stars, Megatron + Welker = Awesome!!!!!! Arcee is good, Prime is usual self. Bulkhead I like as well, not as clumsy as animated (yet). Bumblebee - meh. Ratchet is my favourite again. Not quite up to the grumpy levels of Animated Rarchet, but still managing to pull off the old 'I'm tired of working with no resources' schtick.

Looking forward to more!
    Last edited by Tetsuwan Convoy; 28th November 2010 at 04:36 PM.

Yeah, this Bulkhead is a big improvement over the one we saw in Animated. And I don't think all the cross references will confuse kids - not the ones who are seriously into Transformers anyway. After all, we had multiple parallel continuities in G1 when we were kids (e.g. tech specs, books, comics, cartoon etc.) and most of us understood them to be separate continuities (maybe not consciously, but I think most of us didn't confuse them).

I'm also pleasantly surprised by some of the more darker elements of the show, particularly with killing Cliffjumper off so early, and Jack's line about "robots that can die" drills in the consequentiality of war; which I think is good (unlike say the G1 cartoon where warfare was mostly non-consequential, which arguably serves to make war appear "fun"). There is an incredible amount of violence in the show, but there was also incredible amounts of violence in Beast Wars and Beast Machines too. And as Mainframe said, they were able to get away with it because their characters are machines, and not humans or animals. A lot of kids' cartoons these days are showing the consequentialism of violence/conflict, such as Star Wars Clone Wars, and even the occasional episode of Ben 10.

Jack's line about being "too old" for cartoons at age 16 amuses me... reminds me of some kids I went to school with who, during high school (and some as early as Primary), decided that toys, cartoons and comic books were for babies and decided to give it all up... and of course hassle people like me who refused. Yeah fine, go ahead and throw out/give away all your toys... I'll keep mine thank-you-very-much. Good on ya Jack. His mum's pretty hot though.

I quite liked Arcee's line about going back to the base and watching cartoons with Bumblebee. Although the cartoon watching 'Bee was more Animated than Movie and it goes a bit against the kick-ass warrior we saw when he took on thise drones.

About time to see som consequentionality of battles methinks. Hopefully they don't kill Cullen off in THIS show...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Good on ya Jack. His mum's pretty hot though.
    Oooh, Gok...

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    The character designs are so movie like that I want to vomit when I see them.
    Really? I don't think they look very "movie" like, except for Prime and Bumblebee. They don't really have the Movie's aesthetic though.

I like Soundwave's Oscilloscope face.

Generally this show so far is what I expected: a cross between Animated and the Movieverse.

Although the trio of kids and the Autobots hiding on earth actually remind me more of Cybertron actually too.

I was surprised that Cliffjumper was chosen to be a redshirt, but with him out of the picture (at least for now?) we've left with at a glance is the Animated cast again, except the motorbike is now a woman.

I prefer to look at this series so far as an alternate more kid friendly(?) take on the Movie-verse. The same way that the G1 comics/cartoon/storybooks all had different takes of the same characters and basic situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, this Bulkhead is a big improvement over the one we saw in Animated.
    How exactly? Bulkhead barely did anything in these two episodes and yet somehow you think it's a "big improvement"? I'd rather watch clumsy good-natured Animated Bulkhead anyday. So far the Prime characters don't look like they will have any fun. Not surprising when the five of them are apparently the only Autobots left.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post
    Really? I don't think they look very "movie" like, except for Prime and Bumblebee. They don't really have the Movie's aesthetic though.

I like Soundwave's Oscilloscope face.
    Whoops, I meant 'Not so movie like'

off to edit...

Just watched the first episodes with my kids. They love it, i like it so far, would like to watch it with bigger resolution to see how good the animation really is.

2 things annoy me though: the transformers mouths/faces (why can't they be robotic like the rest of their body, they just look wrong), and the little know-it-all kid who can translate Bumblebee's voice and fix computers.

Seriously why does every TF show need a 10 year-old tech-geek?