View Poll Results: How many times can you buy the same toy?!

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't! One version of a mold only

2 7.69%
  • 2-3 versions

15 57.69%
  • 4-6 versions

2 7.69%
  • 6-10 versions

2 7.69%
  • Give me all the versions in the world!

5 19.23%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many times can you buy the same toy?!

I've got no prob with repaints if I the characters are different and I want them (typically only g1 honored characters). And for lines I like, I get at least 2 of each (of the exact same toy), sometimes more depending on love level, rarity and/or value. There's exceptions too. Like yourself, I have 2 ea. of Alternities, but I have two of each color, even if it is the same character (Convoy, Megs).

I'm a sucker for new characters, even more so if they have a new head/hat.

Hmmm, I am in the same boat with the seekers I think as everyone else. They are easily jutifiable as they are different characters by themselves. I won't buy duplicates if the mould is bad (armada hotshot), ugly colours, or pointless recolour if I do like the mould and character (Animated Roadbuster Ultra Magnus).

However if the colour is good, or the mould is awesome I can buy more than one. Animated Shadow Blade Megatron (good colours, cool toy, although not justified colours in the cartoon), Animated Blurr, I had about 6 of, once I had managed to get my hands on the Takara Tomy one, as I love the toy sooo much.

A new head or change to a new character can influence me really.

Oh, Sentimental value. I.e if I have a story for a toy. For me, that would be MP01 Convoy, even though I have the 'complete' Convoy as well. I wouldn't sell 01, as I would have been one of the first buying it in Japane when it was released. I picked it up 30 min (10am) after the shop had opened on its release day, and only one other one had gone from that shop, so I reckon I may have been pretty close to (within first 1000 ) . Thats what I tell myself anyway.

I voted for "One version of a mould only". Except for a small handful (which I consider 'special circumstances'), I generally don't buy multiples of the exact same toy. Other than that all my doubles were gifts that people gave to me when I already had the toy, so I keep the spare sealed. I have quite a few variants of the same toy (e.g. US and AU Transmetal Optimus Primal, Armada and Micron Legend Hot Shot, Hasbro and Takara Transmetal Megatron, yellow and blue Binaltech Tracks, and of course, various original G1s and reissues) - and having those variants gives me the chance to display them in robot and alt modes.

But usually when I buy one version, I don't intend to buy another version. I sometimes buy variants later on because that variant appeals to me and at the time I bought the original the variant didn't exist. For example, when Binaltech Tracks first came out, it was the yellow version, so I got it. Then later on Takara went and released the blue version, which of course looks a lot nicer from a G1 POV, so I went and bought that. Likewise when Masterpiece Starscream first came out in Japan, it was "Greenscream" -- then much later on Hasbro went and released their version with G1 colours, so I bought that. Had I known that those more appealing variants were to come out later on, then I would have held off and waited for them. But alas I can't predict the future (cos if I did I'd retire and win Lotto for the rest of my life ).

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering, for those that buy the redecos, do you open them all and put them all on display or do you simply display one and leave the rest MISB/MOSC?
    I'll open them and display them, that way I can display one in robot mode and the other in alt mode. The only time I'll leave something sealed is if it's an exact duplicate - and I usually end up with duplicates because they were gifts.

e.g.: my 1984 Autobots shelf:

Dion, Wheeljack and Prowl are the only figures on that shelf which I don't have another version to display in alt mode, but with the exception of Mirage and Sunstreaker, the second versions of all of those toys aren't true multiples, they're variants (e.g. originals and reissues). e.g. I have original G1 yellow Bumblebee, red Bumblebee, Bumblejumper and the various reissues of Bumblebee (as well as Glyph and Spectre ). My second Mirage and Sunstreaker were given to me for free.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I voted for "One version of a mould only".
    "Then you probably didn't understand the situation."

Dion, Wheeljack and Prowl are the only figures on that shelf which I don't have another version to display in alt mode, but with the exception of Mirage and Sunstreaker, the second versions of all of those toys aren't true multiples, they're variants (e.g. originals and reissues). e.g. I have original G1 yellow Bumblebee, red Bumblebee, Bumblejumper and the various reissues of Bumblebee (as well as Glyph and Spectre ). My second Mirage and Sunstreaker were given to me for free.
    You, good sir, are insane. One of each G1 fig so you can have one in vehicle and one in bot mode? I salute you.

Also noticed the Sabretron 2004 exclusives there. Wish I had more than one. *hint hint*

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Well the poll question states "How many times can you buy the same toy?!" -- which I'd assumed meant buying multiples of the same version of the same toy (e.g. STL's army of Classics Jetfires or Deceptic_Optic's squadron of HFTD Terradives etc.).

Of course, kurdt_the_goat did say,
    Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat
    So vote in the poll - just how many times could you bring yourself to buy the same toy if variants existed?
    ...which I guess could mean he's asking if we would collect variants of the same toy. I dunno... I got confused as to whether this poll was asking about collecting multiples/doubles or variants -- I judging from my understanding of the way the poll question itself was worded, I went with multiples, which meant I discounted the collecting of variants.

If I were to vote based on collecting variants, then I would vote on 2-3 versions... so if that was the actual intent of the poll, then umm... oops.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by gekisou View Post
    You, good sir, are insane. One of each G1 fig so you can have one in vehicle and one in bot mode? I salute you.
    I didn't set out to collect like that 'on purpose', it just works out that way. I got my original G1s during the 1980s and have kept them for the past 26 years... but of course, being well loved toys, things get worn... e.g. sticker wear, chrome chipping, missiles get lost etc., and worse of all, other children would BREAK my toys (like my cousin sitting on my G1 Bluestreak one Saturday morning while we were watching Transformers on TV!!). So when HasTak came and reissued them, it gave me the opportunity to get them again, spanking new. And some reissues just come with other reissues that I wanted, e.g. I didn't particularly want TFC Wheelie or Encore Bumblebee, but they came with other reissues that I wanted (i.e. Targetmaster Kup, Outback etc.). So sometimes when these reissue sets come out, I ask if anyone wants to split with me, so for example I split Encore #17 with dirge (he took Ratbat and I took the others and we split the cost accordingly).

Other times I get variants because, as I said, because the later variant is more appealing than the first (e.g. Binaltech Tracks, MP Starscream). Had I'd known about the more appealing variants coming out later on at the time I got the initial versions, I probably would've held off getting the originals and waited for the variants.

But I'm not really the kind of person who will, from the outset, buy variants just for the purpose of displaying in different modes. I just happen to get variants because of circumstances, and I think to myself - well, since I happen to have these variants, I might as well display them in different modes.

Quote Originally Posted by gekisou
    Also noticed the Sabretron 2004 exclusives there. Wish I had more than one. *hint hint*
    We gave away a Spectre as a lucky draw prize at last year's OTCA stall at the SMASH! anime convention, and other remaining Chainmasters were given away as trivia prizes at a Parramatta Fair social quite some time back. There are none left now (moral of the story: attend meets! ).

I voted for "One version of a mould only".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Yes, perhaps i should have said "basically the same toy"!

Everyone else seems to have got it but me. Probably because I was out training for 2 hours this morning before getting saturated by gravity-defying torrential rain. Either that or I'm dense. Let's go with the former.

Nah, combination of the two