View Poll Results: Gen Skullgrin - worth buying?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 47.83%
  • Only if cheap

9 39.13%
  • Only if (something else)

2 8.70%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

1 4.35%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Skullgrin

So just a few shots of how I transform Skullgrin differently to differentiate him from Straxus/Darkmount.

The first shot is simply with the barrel removed and the turret backwards - basically looks a bit like a surface-to-air vehicle this way. You can also pull the flaps down over the treads to add a bit more G1-purple to the tank, and a slightly more Cybertronian feel.

This time I've stolen the missiles from Tracks and clipped them on. I think this looks really effective, however be aware that doing this WILL MAKE THE MISSILES LOOSE ON TRACKS. Mine were loose to start with and they still clip in fine to his car mode anyway.

Finally, here's some pics of the 'brute' version of Skullgrin I use for his robot mode. It's simply the tank tracks being popped off the back and clipped onto his forearms. It reminds me of Energon Landmine, with the big bulky arms and tank tread motif. Also interesting in that Energon Landmine was also a Halftrack sort of thing, and shared his name with another G1 Pretender...although I wouldn't buy yet another recolor of this guy.

That's pretty cool mate!

That's how they should have made Skullgrin to start with I reckon.

Thumbs up

I just un sealed this guy today and keeping in mind that I did't get Straxus, was waiting for a more "realistic" repaint.
    I think it's great, the instructions really don't provide enough detail for the shoulder area but I like the transformation, it's quite novel for a tank type vehicle. I really like both modes, I love that the tracks are in two totally separate parts of the robot mode. I like the solid build of the robot, the head is a little small but I don't really feel that it impacts the overall look.

I love what you've done there with Tracks' guns, really inventive, though I don't like the over sized forearms, I have a thing about transformers alt modes getting in the way of the robot modes arms and hands. and that pretty much covers up the hands.

The "third" mode feels like a miss-transformation to me though it does kind of look like another short transformer could use it as a gun turret in that case.

Great figure, really glad I have it, excellent modern transformer.

I torn between who to get Skullgrin or Darkmount? Both are shelfwarmers at my local Kmart so availability isn't an issue. As a character I prefer Darkmount aka Straxus but Skullgrin's colours look pretty nice, even if I have bought way too many white/greyish TFs lately... and also Skullgrin's head, looks a bit silly IMO.

As much as i hate repaints i justify it like this. Gen1 was full of repaints: Bumblebee/Cliffjumper, Prowl/Bluestreak and all the seekers. Therefore repaints that represent a character from Gen1 are ok but repaints for the sake of repaints are bad.

I say: Buy both. Darkmount is a character from the comic that has never been released before and Skullgrin is cool, and a release of an original Gen1 character. It's justified. They can be displayed differently weapon wise and even cleverly transformed.

Anyone know in which stores this little puppy is more prevalent? I tried my nearest Kmart and Target today but no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Anyone know in which stores this little puppy is more prevalent? I tried my nearest Kmart and Target today but no dice.
    Target and Kmart are the most likely, but he only just started showing up in Tassie in the last week or so.

Expect 12 of him to appear the day after you order him online.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonecrusher View Post
    I torn between who to get Skullgrin or Darkmount? Both are shelfwarmers at my local Kmart so availability isn't an issue. As a character I prefer Darkmount aka Straxus but Skullgrin's colours look pretty nice, even if I have bought way too many white/greyish TFs lately... and also Skullgrin's head, looks a bit silly IMO.
    I have both toys, and I much prefer Darkmount. IMO Darkmount works well as a toy actualisation of Straxus, whereas Skullgrin just feels too forced and just doesn't work well as Skullgrin IMHO. So if you're only gonna get one of those toys, I would highly recommend Darkmount over Skullgrin.