Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A journey through the JP Gen1 cartoon.

Default A journey through the JP Gen1 cartoon.

I bought the complete JP Gen1 cartoon series on DVD a few years back, and am now forcing myself to watch (read) them each night before I go to sleep.

So as I progressively post up comments, maybe some of you can join me on this journey, with your thoughts or even (re)watch the series with me.
    I'm looking to watch an episode or two per night.

Starting with Headmasters, it is often surrealistic to see the classic Gen1 cartoon characters, and even have some of the same sound effects, but all the voices are 'wrong'... so it takes a bit to get used to that component of it.

The scripting is weaker than the US released Gen1 cartoon, with specific plot elements/devices often making even less sense than the US ones.

For this recent Headmasters series DVD release, a choice of audio tracks was available - so I chose original JP audio with English Subtitles, so I could hear all the different original voices, but just had to read what they were saying. It's unavoidable in the follow-up JP series, so I might as well get used to it now.

I quickly got sick of hearing the openning and closing credit songs, so skip over them. At least the US opening credits had minimal lyrics, and none on the closing credits. But maybe it's just the way JP language sounds to me in song...

Intro done, now to the comments on actual episodes.

(I only just realised after starting this, that the JP Headmasters series is set in 2011, which makes it fitting to be watching it right now)

Four Warriors From Outer Space.
    The Mystery of Planet Master.
    Behold the Birth of Double Prime.

The first three episodes were a 3-part story, so will comment on all 3 together.

Since the US 3-part story 'Rebirth' is not included in the JP Gen1 cartoon universe, this story takes place after the episode 'The Return of Optimus Prime' (the US title). As such, the Matrix is empty, and it seems that the Decepticons are taking advantage of the chaos, by trying to capture Cybertron and Vector Sigma.

For some reason, the Decepticon Headmasters are already around, but the Autobot ones only just arrived in this story. And very little is explained, other than that they have (suddenly) returned after 4 million years.

We also don't know much about the planet 'Athenia', or where it is, despite it being implied that they have had the base for ages, and is of strategic importance.

A fair bit of fighting goes on throughout this story, which pads out the story a fair bit, and we get to see new characters being shown off to the audience. We also see the end of Soundwave and Blaster, who fight to the death, killing each other.

Some other things that bothered me:
    - The poor timing the writers had with the plot. We have Optimus going to Cybertron and spends about 2 whole episodes slooooowly making his way to Vector Sigma, only to have everyone one else show up within minutes of their journey.
    - Galvatron is closer to Vector Sigma when it exploded, but Optimus Prime dies, and he seems quite happy to sacrifice himself.
    - The Autobots in a later episode can easily rebuild a 'dead' Blaster, but don't do anything with rebuilding Optimus.
    - Hot Rod becomes Rodimus again, and seems to be a big deal as if it is the first time.
    - Trypticon tries to walk across a tiny suspension bridge, and naturally it breaks.
    - The Autobot Headmasters tell Galvatron their names when he demanded it.
    - Chromedome says he's the leader of the Autobot Headmasters in episode 1, but Fortress (Cerebros) says he is, in episode 2.
    - In episode 2 the Autobots don't know if the Fortress Maximus (battleship) is friend or foe, despite arriving in the previous episode and having 4 Autobots fly out and fight the Decepticons.
    - Optimus goes to to Vector Sigma without the Matrix, which he needs, so now a whole episode needs to be wasted looking for it. And why wouldn't it be kept on him instead of being hidden in the floor of some building, and not tell anyone where it is?

And Trains that can fly across the universe??? Who comes up with this crazy s...stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    - Hot Rod becomes Rodimus again, and seems to be a big deal as if it is the first time.
    Remember, there are all kinds of continuity problems relating to the movie since these cartoons aired before the movie came out in Japan!

I thought the movie would have been out by then. But even if it hadn't, they had like 40 post-movie episodes before this one, with Rodimus Prime as the leader the whole time. After a year of him as leader, he was only back to Hot Rod for probably a couple weeks, so shouldn't have been a big deal being Rodimus again.
    (and with the Dark Awakening story, he's been converted to Rodimus 3 times now)

I tried to watch it...i dont think i got half way through headmasters...just couldnt bare to go through it all...didnt like it much at all!

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    And Trains that can fly across the universe??? Who comes up with this crazy s...stuff?
    I know its not the same but I have to say it.. ahem.. Astrotrain
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

The movie was delayed till 1989, and even Season 3 episodes were aired in a different order creating more continuity problems, according to TFWiki.

You're right of course about Rodimus regardless, i guess what i suggest overall is just enjoying the flashing colours and appearances of characters more than the attention to detail in the stories!

Forget how easily Blaster and Soundwave were rebuilt, I can't believe how easily they were KILLED!! They have one hell of a punching arm apparently. Or maybe they both have one super-weak-dim-mak-death-point on their bodies, and by absolute fluke they managed to hit each other in those exact spots at the same time with sufficient force to shatter each other. What amazing coincidence. (-_-)

Aw man, you're gonna be in for a lot more "That's bullspit!" moments as you go through this series. But I still think that The Headmasters is 1000 times better than The Rebirth. (although the later appearance of Prowl has since been explained via retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    This dude Hey... everyone seemed to accept a flying shark in Car Robot/RiD.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 4th January 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fixed spoiler tag

I found Headmasters a bit of chore to watch but forced myself to do it. I think it does get better in the end but I'd rather watch rebirth.

Oh and if you think Wheelie and Daniel were annoying in the US cartoon wait to until you see them in this.

Not much else I can say except Arcee go get me a coffee and take a memo!

I'm onto the last disc of Masterforce ATM and apart from Cancer I am enjoying this show and the characters alot more.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Headmasters is my least favorite of the Tf series. I found myself at the middle part of the series just skipping thru some of the episodes as it is boring!

Kinda spoiler comment.....
    They shouldve left Daniel to rot in that planet, I mean what could spike do to them anyhow? They can just make a new baby - one less irritating....
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]