View Poll Results: RtS Solar Storm Grappel - worth buying?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 76.19%
  • Only if cheap

3 14.29%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

1 4.76%
  • Not interested

1 4.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - RtS Solar Storm Grappel

Default Ouh la la!

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    I would have though it has to be spelt 'Grappelle' before you'd pronounce it 'Grap-ehl'.

As it stands 'Grappel' is still pronounced 'Grap-uhl', c'est non?
    I pronounce "Grappel" as "Grapp-Pell" and others remarked that I sounded like I was trying to 'Frenchify' the name "Grapple" in a comical way, like how some people pronounce Target as "Tar-Jay". It was never my intention to Frenchify anything... I'm just trying to pronounce "Grappel" correctly and apparently it sounds Frenchie to some people. <shrug>

If I say "Grap-Pull" then I'm referring to either G1 Grapple (or any of its reissues) or United Grapple. But if I say "Grap-Pell" them I'm specifically referring to Reveal The Shield Solar Storm Grappel.

That seems complicated. I just call him Grapple.
    i do NOT Play with toys...

But I DO occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical fight dynamics.

Why is nearly every comment on this thread about the name which was discussed at length already when the toy was first announced. Sigh!

I got the Hasbro one because I like the look of the black head. It breaks up an otherwise too orange toy and looks like the toy I remember from 1985 (Oh and it's it's cartoon accurate too).

The new hook is nice, but makes me think Inferno should have had a ladder. Hanging off the arm though does sort of get in the way though like Cybertron Mudflap.

Like Inferno the back of the truck mode still feels incomplete, and I also don't like the way the front bumper sits in robot mode. The truck mode overall though looks better in these colours than Inferno IMO.

My Grappel also has really loose hips, which is weird as they aren't ball joints. This could be a QC issue but with few people owning the Hasbro version yet it's hard to tell.

All up I'm very happy with it.

I still can't find Grappel despite persistent searching.

I opened up my United one yesterday. I went with United because I intend to be a United completist, and will only get a Hasbro release of the same figure (and in tandem at that), if it offers something compellingly different, or for army building.

I feel that Classics et al, in and of itself, is generally an effort to give greater cartoon accuracy to all of the figures, so I don't understand a preference toward toy accuracy. Wouldn't the original toy fulfill that need? Wouldn't every difference between the new and the original reduce toy accuracy?

The head mold, regardless of color, looks much better in person than in pics, and I agree with Paul that the presence of the hook easily shows that Inferno could have had a ladder, and also that said hook is cumbersome. There is some other subtle remolding, specifically the forearms and toes, which don't detract or add much. As to Paul's complaints of looseness, I noticed drastic differences in hip looseness between multiple instances of Hasbro's Inferno. My United is fine.

Other than the head, I don't think there's much difference between Hasbro and TT (unlike Jazz & Tracks), so I'd suggest choosing solely based on head preference or price.

I like the Inferno mold, and thus, I like this one too. Another great inclusion to my Autobot car collection.

I quite like this guy, but I thought I would as I liked the Inferno mould. Nice and chunky, good movemtn options, easy lightpiping eyes. Paint is lacking, but effective enough, I just wish the hook could be removed from his arm and clipped on his back somehow. having the arm hook sticking out like it does, really lokks a bit silly.

I look at him and think he stands on the side of stages, waiting to pull bad acts off the stage by the neck

"So I see all these humans driving around in little boxes, Why is that?"

"BOOO! GEDDOFF! Sienfeld jokes aren't funny!!"

HOIK!

YAY!

I got the United release. It is a little disappointing to see that the head is actually molded black but painted yellow/amber. I don't mind it too much but it could have been done better as in the pointier bits of the sculpt expose the black underneath but it isn't too noticeable (at least on mine). It is also unfortunate that the hook isn't chromed or painted at all, just yellow. I painted mine with silver paint and that a lone is a huge improvement.

On the positive side, it's not just the crane that has been remolded. This is actually a pretty extensive retool of the Inferno figure. He now has new forearms, fists, feet and of course the crane and head. This is much more than I expected so I am very pleased with the figure despite it's previously mentioned flaws.

It's a really nice head really

I'm repainting my RTS head myself

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Yeah, my main gripe is the poorly repainted head. A few more coats should have covered up the black gooderer. The crane weapon on the arm can be a bit annoying, but that's a carry over design feature from the Inferno mould so I don't fault Grapple for it per se.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    I feel that Classics et al, in and of itself, is generally an effort to give greater cartoon accuracy to all of the figures, so I don't understand a preference toward toy accuracy. Wouldn't the original toy fulfill that need? Wouldn't every difference between the new and the original reduce toy accuracy?
    As someone who doesn't care that much for cartoon likeness, it hasn't bugged me all that much... but I do see your point. Hasbro have certainly gone to the effort of making clear tributes to cartoon models in their moulds (e.g. Bumblebee's head, coneheads for the 2nd series Seekers etc.) - so one would think it only logical to then give them more showlike colours which is what TakaraTOMY have been gooderer at doing than Hasbro. So for people who prefer show likeness I can definitely see why you would have a strong preference for the Japanese versions.

I like what they did with Classics Jetfire where his mould carries homages to both the original toy and the cartoon/comic model.

But as far as Grapple's concerned, as Paulbot has pointed out before, the black head is occasionally show-like because in the cartoon there were times when animators coloured his head black like the toy, and other times when they coloured it amber. So whichever version of Grapple(Grappel) you get, it's only going to be occasionally cartoon accurate anyway.

The main advantage I see with Grapple's head colour over Grappel's is that it helps to distinguish the figure more from Inferno. I imagine when placed side by side the amber head would be better off set against Inferno's black head (much like how Henkei Alert's red head better off sets against Classicsverse Sideswipe's black head -- while I prefer Universe Red Alert's more toy accurate black head, when I saw Deceptic_Optic's display with Henkei Alert I have to say it did look nice in terms of standing out more ).

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    As to Paul's complaints of looseness, I noticed drastic differences in hip looseness between multiple instances of Hasbro's Inferno. My United is fine.
    No hip looseness on my United Grapple either.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    I like the Inferno mold, and thus, I like this one too. Another great inclusion to my Autobot car collection.
    My thoughts exactly.

I do wish TakaraTOMY would go back to printing their tech specs on collectable cards again. (-_-)

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128 View Post
    And it looks like you've done what TakaraTOMY should've done -- give the head an undercoat before repainting!!

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128 View Post
    It's a really nice head really

Sweet man, looking forward to seeing the final re-painted head. Did you start off with a United or RTS Grapple? And I agree, it's an excellent head sculpt.