Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Queensland floods

My thoughts are with all QLD members who might be affected. Wish you and your families are safe.

You've got to love Aussie attitudes towards adversity don't you? </shakes head>

*Edit: This shows how insanely quick the floods are/were rising, here is a video from Toowoomba.

Here's another, from Maryborough on the 8-9th of January.

*Edit: Here's the Bruce Highway, North of Caboolture (11/01/11) <- I've been on this stretch and this is insane!

We keep getting the same footage on the news so I thought I'd try and find some footage that people at 'ground zero' have been able to post in order to give anyone reading this thread in Australia or Worldwide an everyday person's perspective.

My continued thoughts are with those in Brisbane at the moment, if you guys are anything like your Broncos Football Team - You'll hold steadfast and pull through guys.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those suffering in Queensland.

I'm originally from Brisbane, I have friends and family that I am worried about.

My cousin lives next to Southbank so is right near the Brisbane River

Kevin Smith has auctioned off the first poster for 'Red State' sold for US $850
    and he will match that $ for $

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    griffin, tinyjazz, sleeve who else lives in qld from the boards?
    Well there's a few more of us, well away from the flooded areas. Some of us only had to contend with the cyclone that started all this on christmas day.
    Which was more a case of "that was a cyclone?" and was a blip compared to the damage these floods are doing.

I'm in North Brisbane and I'm fine, my grandparents have had to leave Fig Tree Pocket now.

I saw the uni underwater and it broke my heart. It's going to be a crazy few days as we watch this all unfold.

The footage of Brisbane River rising all day today was scary, I cannot imagine the amount of damage these floods have caused, and will continue to cause as the water moves down western NSW and eventually into South Australia and Victoria. Hopefully the parched land in outback NSW drinks the water before it can do too much more damage. (No such luck for the water on the eastern side of the dividing range.)

I spent a fair bit of today watching the ABC and SBS news coverage, as channel 9 and 7 are just showing the same 45 seconds of footage over and over, and their "reporting" is atrocious.

And for all the Greenies in the Brisvegas region, they cannot complain about dams any more, imagine what the flood situation would be like if the Wivenhoe dam wasn't holding so much water behind it's wall?
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    I spent a fair bit of today watching the ABC and SBS news coverage, as channel 9 and 7 are just showing the same 45 seconds of footage over and over, and their "reporting" is atrocious.

And for all the Greenies in the Brisvegas region, they cannot complain about dams any more, imagine what the flood situation would be like if the Wivenhoe dam wasn't holding so much water behind it's wall?
    Couldn't of said it better my self dude.
    My own TV hasn't moved of ABC News 24 all day for that very reason and yeah, think of it like this: With the Wivenhoe Dam the water levels are set to exceed the 1974 floods - imagine what they'd be like at the moment if that Dam didn't exist!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Couldn't of said it better my self dude.
    My own TV hasn't moved of ABC News 24 all day for that very reason and yeah, think of it like this: With the Wivenhoe Dam the water levels are set to exceed the 1974 floods - imagine what they'd be like at the moment if that Dam didn't exist!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    The footage of Brisbane River rising all day today was scary, I cannot imagine the amount of damage these floods have caused, and will continue to cause as the water moves down western NSW and eventually into South Australia and Victoria. Hopefully the parched land in outback NSW drinks the water before it can do too much more damage. (No such luck for the water on the eastern side of the dividing range.)

Just watched a Channel 7 Overview of today's news and because the majority of people they interviewed say they feel an eerie calmness in the midst of this tragic incident, the news station then decides to play a music video of the floods to a haunting music track that sounds like it came out of a Tim Burton flick. That's really going to help Channel 7...

............................................______ __
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,
    .................../.................................................. .........,}
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
    .............../.................................................. .,:”........./
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\