Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom: G1 Whirl

Default Custom: G1 Whirl

AA Tomahawk sure is a popular dude for customs. I decided to do my first full paint job on a TF by turning him into a Whirl.

Here's my progress so far.

I probably need some tips and comments from some advanced customers.
    -how do I get that bloody rotor off?
    -any good candidates for a headswap to create a G1 Whirl head?
    -any good candidates for weapons that might resemble G1 Whirl's accessories yet not look ridiculous when slung under the helicopter wings?
    -i've kept the tail/claw black as a homage to Whirl's claw hand, would it look better off blue?
    -should I paint the canopy cage blue too?

Quote Originally Posted by Lint
    AA Tomahawk sure is a popular dude for customs. I decided to do my first full paint job on a TF by turning him into a Whirl.
    Awesome idea! AA Tomahawk is a superb mold and deserves to see these kind of repaints/tributes to G1 classic characters. Granted, it's not the easisest thing to work with (as you've found out already with the rotor blades) but you can make it look so much better than the original with a little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint
    probably need some tips and comments from some advanced customers.
    -how do I get that bloody rotor off? No idea, and you're braver than I am if you try!
    -any good candidates for a headswap to create a G1 Whirl head? Might be worth waiting for that 3rd party head that's coming out soon
    -any good candidates for weapons that might resemble G1 Whirl's accessories yet not look ridiculous when slung under the helicopter wings? *shrugs*
    -i've kept the tail/claw black as a homage to Whirl's claw hand, would it look better off blue? should I paint the canopy cage blue too? I'd keep the black in both instances. The original toy had black highlights (as you've alluded to) and it helps balance out the blue.

The Whirl colours suit this toy too.

I wonder if the RtS Lugnut head might work? ROTF Skystalker could possibly except it's far too small. Maybe one of the first movie deluxe drones?

Looks promising.

As DD suggested, should wait for the third party head that's coming. Should fit. Also comes with some G1 style weapons.

One of those Iron Man II drones could be used to provide a Whirl head.
    Unfortunately I have seen them available only as a 4-pack in TRU for $50.....

Another idea for the head is to have a look at some of the Tau Warhammer 40K models at Games Workshop. No idea what this thing is called but the heads on these guys are pretty Whirly if you ask me.

I had a look at the 3rd party head. It looks like it might be built for a voyager class whirl so I presume it will be too big to tuck away below the canopy in heli mode.

Tau heads are very Whirly! Those 40k miniatures are pretty tiny though, does anyone know if there is a Tau figure with a head in scale with a deluxe?

Iron Man II drones look promising snakey, might be the right size too

Maybe you can sculpt a new head using putty. Good work so far.

cool dude. didnt know you were a 'basher.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Maybe you can sculpt a new head using putty. Good work so far.
    yeah, thats a good idea. it shouldnt be too hard to do with styrofoam and putty either as there is no detailed face to sculpt.

Progress so far. He's been a fun paint. A lot of a paint scuffing during transformation. I'm unsure how to proceed with the remaining plastic grey and tan parts. Ideally I should paint them black but I kind of like them the way they are. Also should Whirl have black hands or just ridiculously long arms?

I'm not much of a sculptor but I may give putty a go. In the meantime i'll just have to live with the sawn-off-chupachupstick-painted-red-and-jammed-inside-a-screwhole makeshift whirl head

Something came in the mail today so you all get a sneak preview of my next disaster project