Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7172223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: IDW Transformers ongoing [spoilers]

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by bassbot View Post
    and now the Epilogue is out, it doesn't seem like a Chaos: Epiloge, rather a Transformers: Epilogue.
    Yeah. This issue was just......well, nothing to recommend at all.

It has some nice splash pages, and some neat character designs, but storywise, it's totally disposable.

Not what I was expecting for the end of Mike's run.

Oh well.

Yeah, this issue is a total snooze-fest. Artistically the splash pages are nice (what happened to Devastator's chest plate??) - but storywise it's complete dullsville. It felt like one of those "recap" episodes that they sometimes do in anime. Gah.

If people want to get into the IDW comics at a later stage, surely they can just go buy the TPBs. Don't quite see the point of having a "recap" issue. And talk about embedding spoilers into the title of the next issue! (yeah, I know it's been floating around for ages)

This is just another thing I miss about the ol' G1 Marvel comics... we never had a single issue of complete pedestrian inaction like this (even in some of the lamer issues, like Arcee's origin story <shudder>)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If people want to get into the IDW comics at a later stage, surely they can just go buy the TPBs.

i agree with that 100% and wholeheartedly recommend going that route.
    unless you're a pathological collector, the TFOngoing story is far more palatable and IMO more coherent in TPB form.
    For myself, the first 12 issues in particular, were an intensely frustrating experience. I wish i had just waited for the Trades.

I don't have the patience to wait for trades. But for anyone who does, I definitely recommend collecting them that way. But really, each individual issue should be able to stand up on its own as a good story (just another thing I miss about Marvel G1).

You know what's sad? The favourite part of this issue for me is the front cover (I got Cover A), just because I think it's interesting that they've gone for using toy photography for the cover instead of artwork. But even then, I wish they'd used a proper Transformer action figure instead of that non-transformable Revoltech (which are just glorified Action Masters IMO, hence why I don't collect them). It'd be also better if they selected a character who - you know - prominently appeared in this issue! A photo of Universe/Henkei Ironhide and/or Timelines Alpha Trion would have made WAY more sense.

Cover B's more interesting at least with Ironhide's head... the RI cover - as nice (really nice) as it looks; a smashing homage to the US TFTM poster... bears no relevance to the content of the comic itself. I'm not a cover completist btw -- I just get whatever cover happens to be on the issue that my comic store has put aside for me.

I hope IDW will do more toy photo covers - hopefully BETTER ones with proper Transformer action figures in more dynamic poses. Although it kinda takes the challenge out of trying to recreate comic covers with toys.

But hey, I'm all for seeing more toy photo covers.

While I agree that the issue was slow, I think it was more of an, "The Transformers Finale We Will Never Get To See." Next month we return you to regularly scheduled programme, "Transformers: The Death of Optimus Prime."

Oh Noes Spoilers!

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    While I agree that the issue was slow, I think it was more of an, "The Transformers Finale We Will Never Get To See." Next month we return you to regularly scheduled programme, "Transformers: The Death of Optimus Prime."
    I don't know about you, but I don't like paying $6 for an entire issue of recaps, inaction and a general lack of plot progression (honestly, if someone missed/skipped this issue, what would they be missing??)

Marvel G1 gave us way more bang for our buck, and each issue literally only cost a buck!

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Oh Noes Spoilers!
    lulz! Reminds me of episode #24 of The Headmasters... I remember watching this series for the first time and seeing the preview for it at the end of episode #23 and sarcastically thinking to myself, "Gee I wonder what happens in the next episode!"

It's POINTLESS harping about what 'Marvel G1 gave us' in terms of story etc.

The market and the styles are just SO different now. They're completely different beasts, and to try and make a direct comparison between the two is just completely impossible, and completely ignorant of the reality of the shift in market, demographics, and distribution.

Show me where I said that we should revert back to what Marvel G1 gave us. Where have I explicitly stated this? Just because we can't go back to something doesn't mean I can't miss it!

I liked it, nice to see an "end" even if it'll never get there. But seeing as I "acquired" this issue my opinion isn't coloured by value for money, which this issue probably lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Show me where I said that we should revert back to what Marvel G1 gave us. Where have I explicitly stated this? Just because we can't go back to something doesn't mean I can't miss it!
    You complain about the price and content compared to Marvel G1.

Again, that's absolutely pointless, and a false equivalence.

It's rubbish to harp on about it.