Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what to do with the scalpers?

Default what to do with the scalpers?

so here and there when a popular item turns up, it gets cleared out quick smart from retail stores by scalpers. it's often not particularly easy to spot a scalper on eBay but there are a few standouts.

Current scalpers are dealing in Masterpiece Soundwaves.

We often wish that we had a more pro-active way of deterring scalpers than simply not buying their wares, there will always be someone desperate enough for an item to pay exorbitant aftermarket prices.

I have a proposal. When you see a scalper on eBay or a similar sales sight, post a link to that listing here and then anyone who is irritated by the scalper/scalping in general can easily go to the listing and ask the seller a question.
    It's better if the question seems legitimately about the item, that way they can't dismiss it out of hand and have to read and reply to it, taking up valuable time and effort. If enough people message them, it will effectively choke their dodgey business.

Over time this may have a reducive effect on the number of people scalping items that would otherwise be fairly purchased by legitimate collectors from their original retail store.

This is NOT intended to target someone selling one or two of an item at a dollar or few above retail as there are plenty of people out there who appreciate being able to use eBay to purchase items not available in their local area (globally speaking).

This IS intended to target people selling a currently hot item at 50% or more above the retail price, or who have many multiples of something for sale that is known to be in limited retail supply or who have purchased something and are then selling it peacemeal at an overall massively over inflated price.

If you don't agree with this thread, don't tell us below, just don't participate.
    Mods if this contravenes any forum rules I apologise in advance and am happy for it to be removed. I have posted a similar post on several interational collectors sites.
    Last edited by UltraMarginal; 6th August 2013 at 02:11 PM.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

A first submission

have at him

I just don't see the point in this. I mean, it's a fact of the hobby. It's not that I disagree that scalpers are a problem, but we're looking at something that isn't released in Australia yet (and being we're in Australia, I think it's a fair point).

Put it this way, I didn't have issues getting MP-10 or Thundercracker here, so much so that there were multiple opportunities in multiple stores. I think that's suggesting that, if you're on the ball, you're often get what you want at retail in Oz. If you're not, then you'll find the same issues we saw with people wanting a YOTS Omega Supreme three weeks after the start of the sale and frankly, that's where it's not a distribution issue, it's (often, not always) laziness, ignorance, a lack of awareness, or a late decision on the part of the collector.

I'd expect MP Soundwave to be a catalogue item when it hits Oz (like MP-10 Prime was), and as such, they'll have to have a certain amount available for the sale (in accordance with advertising laws in Australia).

Either pay the extra while it's easily available overseas, or wait and try to buy local. It's not as if they won't be available on eBay if you miss out on the local sales.

/playingdevilsadvocate

you've missed my point, the intent is to make scalping irritatingly difficult for those who go out and purchase large amounts of a known sought after retail product for the express purpose of flipping it for large profit through eBay. If you don't have any interest in participating then don't.
    there are plenty of other threads to discuss the pro's and cons of scalping

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    you've missed my point, the intent is to make scalping irritatingly difficult for those who go out and purchase large amounts of a known sought after retail product for the express purpose of flipping it for large profit through eBay. If you don't have any interest in participating then don't.
    there are plenty of other threads to discuss the pro's and cons of scalping
    Ahh, but what in what way COULD you make it irritatingly difficult for scalpels? If you choose not to buy, others surely will - but if you buy yourself, you're fueling the scalping. It has always seemed like an intractable problem..... But if you come up with an idea or two, I'd be glad to help put it into practice.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

The only possible way that I could ever think of was to give fellow collectors a heads up in sightings threads, as they are (hopefully!) less likely to scalp. Sort of community spirit come collector activism
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

have you not read the first post? I'll bold the bit that's specific to my plan for world domination.

When you see a scalper on eBay or a similar sales sight, post a link to that listing here and then anyone who is irritated by the scalper/scalping in general can easily go to the listing and ask the seller a question.
    It's better if the question seems legitimately about the item, that way they can't dismiss it out of hand and have to read and reply to it, taking up valuable time and effort. If enough people message them, it will effectively choke their dodgey business.

Or

Or they could just add you to their blocked buyer's list. Or better still, just completely ignore query emails for their lisitings due to the sheer quantity they are recieving. They're clearly there to make an easy dollar not pander to their customer's every need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    Or they could just add you to their blocked buyer's list. Or better still, just completely ignore query emails for their lisitings due to the sheer quantity they are recieving. They're clearly there to make an easy dollar not pander to their customer's every need.
    True but all the ones I have seen have good ratings, which they need to upkeep in order to keep selling.
    part of that is communicating with customers. I pinged the guy in post #2 and i've recieved maybe 10 or so messages from him and I was trolling hard.
    as a seller with a good rating you can't afford to ignore messages that look like legit questions, no matter how stupid the question might be.

I'm not saying this will stop scalping, or work on every scalper but it might make it less attractive to scalp transformers over time. which can't be bad for any collector.

True but all the ones I have seen have good ratings, which they need to upkeep in order to keep selling.
    part of that is communicating with customers. I pinged the guy in post #2 and i've recieved maybe 10 or so messages from him and I was trolling hard.
    as a seller with a good rating you can't afford to ignore messages that look like legit questions, no matter how stupid the question might be.

I'm not saying this will stop scalping, or work on every scalper but it might make it less attractive to scalp transformers over time. which can't be bad for any collector.
    But if he's got generally good ratings then he's either set up a shill buying system to get good ratings or he is legitmately getting frequent good feedback from legitimate (although arguably poorly informed or desperate) buyers. I don't mean to highlight the futility of this effort but you know what, if this is your evil plan to save the world then go for it champ