Thread: Masterpiece Seekers

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Masterpiece Seekers

Hey guys,

I'm catching up on the Masterpiece figures. Is it worth getting the seekers or do we assume there will be a v.3 in the near future.

If there will be, do we think they will go as deep as the coneheads?

Here are the cheapest ones I could find on Mandarake...
    MP3 Starscream USA Edition $248
    MP11 Starscream $206
    MP6 Skywarp $138 ←worth it!
    MP11SW Skywarp $138 ←worth it!
    MP7 Thundercracker $413
    Hasbro's MP11T Thundercracker $275
    There's no TakaraTOMY MP11T listed atm but the last one also sold for $275

Flerken hell these are f'expensive rip-off prices (and it doesn't even include shipping), and they were the cheapest I could find! I'd wait for Version 3 if I were you. The only exceptions are the MP Skywarps which at AU$138 is only about $7 above their original retail prices. The others are so highly inflated I wouldn't even bother with them.

Thats a real crystal ball question there, no one knows for sure. With Optimus 3.0 and Bumblebee 2.0, nothing is out of the question with TT anymore and it wouldn’t surprise me if a new seeker mold was released. Which would almost certainly mean a new run of coneheads.

The question is, do you like the current seeker line? Do you feel like they could do a better job? And IF they released a more cartoon accurate seeker mold, would you be disappointed or happy? Also consider with the direction TT is heading, the prices are likely going to be higher. We’re NOT getting more cartoon accurate models at a lower price.

For me personally, I wouldn’t commit to seeker 3.0. $1000+ spent on all the current seekers. I have no desire to start all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Flerken hell these are f'expensive rip-off prices (and it doesn't even include shipping), and they were the cheapest I could find! I'd wait for Version 3 if I were you.
    Given the way MPs are getting more expensive these days due to their increasing cartoon accuracy, I wouldn't be surprised if 3.0 seekers get into the $300+ zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    For me personally, I wouldn’t commit to seeker 3.0. $1000+ spent on all the current seekers. I have no desire to start all over again.
    Same here. It was hard enough getting all six main MP-11 seekers.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Given the way MPs are getting more expensive these days due to their increasing cartoon accuracy, I wouldn't be surprised if 3.0 seekers get into the $300+ zone.
    Sure, but at least they would have additional levels of engineering that would better justify a $300 price point as opposed to MP3 and MP11 mould Seekers sold at well above their original prices.

I should say that $206 for MP11 is less than $30 above RRP which, while not ideal, is not as outrageously overpriced. The others are just ridiculous.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Well the Coneheads didn't get a run with the first seeker mould, so there's no guarantee they'd get a run in v3.

Originally I didn't think there was anything wrong with the latest seeker mould but seeing what some of the 3P companies are doing with them I think Takara could easily improve on the design.

I'm feeling a V3 is going to happen in the next 3-4 years.

The MP line is going hard cartoon accuracy.

The existing two molds are great, but not particularly cartoon accurate.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Thats a real crystal ball question there, no one knows for sure. With Optimus 3.0 and Bumblebee 2.0, nothing is out of the question with TT anymore and it wouldn’t surprise me if a new seeker mold was released. Which would almost certainly mean a new run of coneheads.

The question is, do you like the current seeker line? Do you feel like they could do a better job? And IF they released a more cartoon accurate seeker mold, would you be disappointed or happy? Also consider with the direction TT is heading, the prices are likely going to be higher. We’re NOT getting more cartoon accurate models at a lower price.

Yeah I feel the same. I've got all 8 Seeker characters released so far (and 2 of Starscream). If they did a V3.0 I'd only grab more if they did characters they had yet to release such as Slipstream, Redwing, Hotlink etc.

As much as I'm liking the fact that MP's are becoming more toon accurate, they cost so much I can't justify replacing any of my current MP lineup and feel what has come before is pretty good, or at least good enough for me. The only exception to this is if Bbee 2.0 dramatically drops in price down the line, then I might grab him.

I'd go for current set, if new ones come along they will easily be higher in price than MP-11 mold versions now on the secondary market.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)