Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The non-electronic gaming thread

Default The non-electronic gaming thread

This thread is for any kind of non-electronic (computer) gaming, such as:
    + board games (e.g.: chess, scrabble, monopoly etc.)
    + card games (e.g.: Duel Monsters, Magic The Gathering, Vampire The Masquerade etc.)
    + miniature gaming (e.g.: SW Minis, D&D Minis etc.)
    + table top RPGs (e.g. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons etc.)
    ...etc.

I really like Star Wars Miniatures, but aside from kuzzy I don't know of any other OTCA members who play it. I also quite like Scrabble, and we had fun playing Transformers Scrabble at the roller Sydney meet (it's like normal Scrabble, but an extra 5 points for any Transformers-related words)

Transformers Monopoly is a lot of fun, and the beauty of it is that non-Transfan people like to play it too.

The Beast Wars Mutating Card Game is very simple but fairly fun game to play. It's more of a game of chance and luck rather than skill or strategy.

Transformers Attacktix is a highly underrated game. It's surprisingly quite challenging and more fun than people tend to give it credit for. I say don't judge Attacktix until you've tried playing it. Like the Beast Wars Mutating Card Game, the rules are very simple (obviously both games are designed for very young players), but Attacktix is a greater game of skill. It's also similar to other table top miniature war games where more powerful characters like Optimus Prime and Megatron are worth more squad points and are actually harder to kill compared to low-cost "gumbies" like Mini-Cons or Decepticlones. The game is also compatible with other Attacktix games like Star Wars Attacktix... provided you can suspend disbelief that a lone Ewok can defeat a Decepticon.

There's also Transformers Chess, which is basically Chess with a Transformers themed board and pieces. I have a photo of this which I'll upload and post later. (^_^)

Miniature gaming with Legos!

9000% more entertaining, 200% cheaper to get into and no boring regulations & conventions to bog you down.

http://www.brikwars.com/

I welcome new challengers! (especially those who can offer gaming venues )

That Lego terrorist is so cuuuuute!

Here's a pic of my Transformers Chess Set.

This game review also features some nice photos and descriptions of the chess set.

you forgot to mention wargames Like AXIS AND ALLIES

Axis & Allies can either be a board game, a miniatures game as well as an electronic game! I did mention board games and miniatures gaming, but obviously there are far too many to name them all. But feel free to share with us any stories and/or piccies you may have of your A&A gaming.

Some people that I've played Star Wars Minis with are also Axis & Allies Miniatures players (I think some of them also know how to play the board game too). It's not a game I've ever gotten into though... Collectable miniatures war gaming is an f'expensive hobby, and alongside collecting Star Wars Miniatures and Transformers Attacktix, I really wasn't inclined to start collecting _another_ expensive miniatures war game! (>_<)

I must confess that I don't really know much about how Axis & Allies works, but I wonder if it's at all cross-compatible with Star Wars Galactic Battles. Cos regular Star Wars Miniatures is cross-compatible with Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures. I've played Star Wars Minis vs. D&D Minis twice... it was interesting. Star Wars units totally pwn in terms of technological superiority (i.e.: blaster shots have no range limits) but D&D units can totally pwn with powerful sorcery/magic. A single Beholder and a Death Knight killed off an entire squad of my Tusken Raiders and Imperial Stormtroopers! Damnit! I'd like to try another game using a Republic squad (i.e. Clone Troopers led by a Jedi).

I've played countless games over the years, Started when I temporarily grew out of Transformers pretty much, so a long time.

I prefer tabletop games to video games actually, strange but true I know but I prefer being face to face with the other player, and being a collector I prefer using physical pieces rather than 3D generated ones. Also things are more mutable than in a scripted game.

I've been part of a local gaming club since I was 12. Between the various members of the club we've played a bit of almost everything. We organise a big event called Mother Of All Battles that draws players from as far a field as New Zealand on the October long weekend.

Anyways I'd have trouble listing all the games I've enjoyed over the years. So here's a run down on my current favourtes, all Skirmish games wich use only a handfull of pieces, so intial outlay is the same as buying a new computer game.

Infinity

A scifi skirmish game set in an Anime inspired universe. Think Ghost in the Shell, with deadly gun fights, martial arts and hacking among the warfare styles of the game, not to mention a fair share of John Woo moments. For the most part though cunning and resource managment are the order of the day in this game.

Infinity video from MOAB

Pulp City

Super Heroes and Super Villains battle over Pulp City, in much the same vain as the computer games City of Heroes, Fredom Force etc. Build a team of heroes or villains and use their unique skills wisely to defeat your foe. And what's not to like about inteligent, gattling gun wielding , cigar smoking apes?

Pulp City Video from MOAB

Malifaux

Victorian horror and wierd west is the style of this game, rather than roll dice you use a deck of cards. You also get a hand of cards which you can use to cheat fate when things go awry, use them wisely. Certain cards will trigger special powers and effects, but watch out for the black joker.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Damned View Post
    you forgot to mention wargames Like AXIS AND ALLIES
    Which one you know there are like near 10 variants of the board game alone? Admitedly that's one game I've only managed to play once.

I also prefer table top games. I find them much more social than electronic games. Even when you play multiplayer electronic games people are pretty much in their own worlds. Just walk into any net café and you see people huddled over computers and shouting various profanities at each other. So many electronic gamers are either really bad losers and bad winners too (as parodied by the Headmaster in TF Animated).

I enjoy warhammer fantasy , i have an orcs and goblins army, any1 else play?

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I played mousetrap for the first time (yea, I know), a while ago. Pretty fun. I didn't win, but I had the most cardboard cheese bits. Oh yea, that's what it's about, the most cheese you can get. Cheese is all that mattered. I may have been captured and then stepped on, but I had more cheese than those other mice yo.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by autobreadticon View Post
    I enjoy warhammer fantasy , i have an orcs and goblins army, any1 else play?
    There have been a few threads in the past.I used to play dark elves. Just recently my cousin and I were looking at getting into 40K. I'm leaning towards the Tau Empire myself.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503