Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia


Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia > Info and Activities > Ratbat's Transformers Reviews

Sightings/Sales

View Poll Results: RtS G2 Optimus Prime - worth buying?
Yes 11 42.31%
Only if cheap 7 26.92%
Only if (something else) 3 11.54%
No 2 7.69%
Not interested 3 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19th January 2011, 09:41 PM
Vector Prime Vector Prime is offline
Rank 3 - Basic Member
 
Join Date: 8th Aug 2009
Location: Bankstown, NSW
Posts: 3,067
Thumbs down Toy Review - RtS G2 Optimus Prime



EPIC FAIL! Don't buy it - save your money for something else!

Now that I have that out of the way, for those still interested, keep reading, but those that aren't, save your money and time - don't keep reading further since this guy just isn't worth it IMO.

Let me just start off by saying that I wasn't impressed with the way this guy looked from the initial time I saw the first pics of him.

Now that I have him in hand, I wish I could turn back time and reseal him back up into his plastic prison and hide him in the corner somewhere.

He may be an okay homage to the original G2 version, but in this era, this guy just stinks.

RTS G2 Prime should have been released in the Armada or Energon range...actually scrap that, the homage should have even been done pre-Armada since Armada Deluxe Prime is way cooler and a much better toy than this guy by light years.

His transformation is simplistic and a tad bit fiddly but the overall look of this guy is where he suffers the most - get him if you love Hasbro grey since there's an abundance of it.

He lacks paint apps in plenty of spots and even the pic on the cardback has been doctored up - it shows red paint on his knee caps whereas on the actual toy, it's left as black plastic....cheap looking black plastic.

The only thing cool about this guy is his sword (and that's only because I love sword-wielding bots).

Anyways....this guy's not worth buying unless you can pick him up for under $15 or you solely want him so you can have one of this mold (like myself).

4/10 (I've even voted 'No' to buying him)

**EDIT - I went back and transformed this guy again and realised that the wheels on his legs can be pushed up and in to sit further inwards (so as not to resemble Armada Prime where the wheels just sit on the side of his legs). Typical me, should have read the instructions Nonetheless, this doesn't redeem him any way - I still score him a 4/10 - below average**

Here's a pic of Armada Prime owning him - he's that bad!


Last edited by Vector Prime; 23rd January 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20th January 2011, 03:54 PM
kaiden's Avatar
kaiden kaiden is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 14th Aug 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,989
Default

The sad thing is - his instructions show an alternate head
__________________
[Steam] L45TPH45E
My Want List
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20th January 2011, 08:52 PM
Vector Prime Vector Prime is offline
Rank 3 - Basic Member
 
Join Date: 8th Aug 2009
Location: Bankstown, NSW
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
The sad thing is - his instructions show an alternate head
Yeah I just saw that.

I'm normally a big fan of black/Nemesis Prime redecos, but my dislike for this figure is so great that I won't even bother this time around (probably )
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21st January 2011, 12:30 AM
kaiden's Avatar
kaiden kaiden is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 14th Aug 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
Yeah I just saw that.

I'm normally a big fan of black/Nemesis Prime redecos, but my dislike for this figure is so great that I won't even bother this time around (probably )
well the problem there is that the new head looks ugly - even more than kups.
__________________
[Steam] L45TPH45E
My Want List
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21st January 2011, 08:53 AM
KaRNiV8L PRiME's Avatar
KaRNiV8L PRiME KaRNiV8L PRiME is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 20th May 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,225
Default

I really like the mold.

+ The transformation is fun and clever
+ Great update/homage to G2 laser prime
+ Robot mode is very cool
+ Would definately look AWESOME repainted as Scourge, Nemesis Prime in all black with red translucent windows, red sword and different head
+Great for posing, awesome articulation, tight joints, can hold sword in 2 hands

- G2 laser prime colours, wish alt mode was just prime colours
- Side windows painted orange, could've been translucent
- Sword sux. Should've just been separate and clip under the truck
- Could've been voyager size

Really this mold has a lot of potential. A resculpted head, a new paint job and a big kick ass sword that doesn't transform is ALL this mold needs. Bring on the nemesis

8/10
__________________
Recent Additions:
Generations 2014 W1, W2, Kreons W4, Platinum Predaking
Incoming:
Nil
Wanting:
MP wheeljack, bumblebee, Jazz, Riccochet, Glacialord
Selling:
Plenty @Perth Nexus
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21st January 2011, 09:01 AM
GoktimusPrime's Avatar
GoktimusPrime GoktimusPrime is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 27th Dec 2007
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 25,280
Default

The thing with "Classicsverse" is that they're meant to give us updated and improved incarnations of older Transformers using current toy engineering and technology. I really don't like it when this doesn't happen, cos then it kinda defeats the whole point of making them in the first place. That's why I didn't like Universe/Henkei Cheetor and Dinobot, IMO neither of them were substantial improvements over their originals.

Looking at pics of this toy and reading Vector Prime's comments, I wonder if RtS G2 Optimus Prime really is a substantial improvement over Laser Optimus Prime? Laser Optimus Prime is just a brilliant figure and just blew my socks off in 1995. I was so impressed I actually bought two of them! (I've since sold my spare off years ago) And it wasn't until 2007 and 2009 with Leader Class Movie and ROTF OP that we even saw another Optimus Prime toy that could be considered as comparatively well designed as Laser Optimus Prime (by the standards of the day).

Laser Optimus Prime = exceedingly outstanding by 1995 standards.
RtS G2 Optimus Prime = ...by 2011 standards... ???

Vector Prime: Could you bring your RtS G2 Prime to the next Syd meet? If so I might bring my Laser Prime so we can make a comparison and take some pics (unless you have Laser Prime and wanna just do the comparison yourself)
__________________

Transformers collection: 1762
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21st January 2011, 09:36 AM
Vector Prime Vector Prime is offline
Rank 3 - Basic Member
 
Join Date: 8th Aug 2009
Location: Bankstown, NSW
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRNiV8L PRiME View Post
I really like the mold.

+ The transformation is fun and clever
+ Great update/homage to G2 laser prime
+ Robot mode is very cool
+ Would definately look AWESOME repainted as Scourge, Nemesis Prime in all black with red translucent windows, red sword and different head
+Great for posing, awesome articulation, tight joints, can hold sword in 2 hands

- G2 laser prime colours, wish alt mode was just prime colours
- Side windows painted orange, could've been translucent
- Sword sux. Should've just been separate and clip under the truck
- Could've been voyager size

Really this mold has a lot of potential. A resculpted head, a new paint job and a big kick ass sword that doesn't transform is ALL this mold needs. Bring on the nemesis

8/10
Wow!

Were we looking at the same toy?

I suppose everyone has different expectations and tastes - many people are fine with Universe Silverbolt for example whereas I hate it and think it's one of the worst Classicverse toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
The thing with "Classicsverse" is that they're meant to give us updated and improved incarnations of older Transformers using current toy engineering and technology. I really don't like it when this doesn't happen, cos then it kinda defeats the whole point of making them in the first place. That's why I didn't like Universe/Henkei Cheetor and Dinobot, IMO neither of them were substantial improvements over their originals.

Looking at pics of this toy and reading Vector Prime's comments, I wonder if RtS G2 Optimus Prime really is a substantial improvement over Laser Optimus Prime? Laser Optimus Prime is just a brilliant figure and just blew my socks off in 1995. I was so impressed I actually bought two of them! (I've since sold my spare off years ago) And it wasn't until 2007 and 2009 with Leader Class Movie and ROTF OP that we even saw another Optimus Prime toy that could be considered as comparatively well designed as Laser Optimus Prime (by the standards of the day).

Laser Optimus Prime = exceedingly outstanding by 1995 standards.
RtS G2 Optimus Prime = ...by 2011 standards... ???

Vector Prime: Could you bring your RtS G2 Prime to the next Syd meet? If so I might bring my Laser Prime so we can make a comparison and take some pics (unless you have Laser Prime and wanna just do the comparison yourself)
Whilst I've never played with or owned an original Laser Prime (so a definite no to doing a comparison myself), I totally agree with what you're saying Gok.

I think the thing that disappoints me most about this guy is that by 2011 standards, he's very ordinary and he just doesn't look or feel the part of a toy that's only just been released.

There have been a few G2 homages in recent times, however even though most of them (all?) have been redecos of existing molds, they've stacked up well against current stuff since they're relatively fresh in design and transformation complexity.

The disappointing thing is that this guy was a whole new mold and was designed from the ground up but they've managed to do a crap half-hearted job on it (which is disappointing since it's a representation of the iconic Optimus Prime).

Anyways, everyone has an opinion and they're entitled to it - I'm sure he will sell like hotcakes anyway, purely because it's Prime, so my comments may have no relevance.

As for bringing him to the Parra Fair, I won't be there for long ~ half hr to an hr max, so I won't be attending the post-fair food court meet.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21st January 2011, 09:46 AM
KaRNiV8L PRiME's Avatar
KaRNiV8L PRiME KaRNiV8L PRiME is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 20th May 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
Vector Prime: Could you bring your RtS G2 Prime to the next Syd meet? If so I might bring my Laser Prime so we can make a comparison and take some pics (unless you have Laser Prime and wanna just do the comparison yourself)
If I get a chance (moving house today) i'll get some comp pics up. Hopefully RTS holding the 1995 G2 laser prime sword
__________________
Recent Additions:
Generations 2014 W1, W2, Kreons W4, Platinum Predaking
Incoming:
Nil
Wanting:
MP wheeljack, bumblebee, Jazz, Riccochet, Glacialord
Selling:
Plenty @Perth Nexus
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21st January 2011, 01:22 PM
GoktimusPrime's Avatar
GoktimusPrime GoktimusPrime is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 27th Dec 2007
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 25,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
As for bringing him to the Parra Fair, I won't be there for long ~ half hr to an hr max, so I won't be attending the post-fair food court meet.
Ooh, then please remind me to have a look at your RtS Prime and compare it with Laser Prime at the Fair itself, cos otherwise I'll probably think, "I'll wait till the food court." There's a quiet spot near the entrance where we can makehang out.
__________________

Transformers collection: 1762
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21st January 2011, 02:37 PM
UltraMarginal's Avatar
UltraMarginal UltraMarginal is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 23rd Sep 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,378
Default

Here's another review that has a fairly different take on the figure:
http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/blog/laser-prime-3-0/

personally I'm probalby still going to pass. I have my masterpiece prime.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.