Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia > Info and Activities > Ratbat's Transformers Reviews

Sightings/Sales

View Poll Results: MP11 Starscream - worth buying?
Yes 4 28.57%
Only if... 2 14.29%
No 0 0%
Not interested 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th June 2012, 12:40 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
Is it just me or is the newer version less detailed, It also looks like it's made from cheaper materials I don't own one just asking the question.
Much of it is the same mold but looks less detailed as it doesn't have the paint wash to bring out the detailing.

Like the back of the shoulder intakes, one has the shading to bring the detail out and the other does not making it seem flat but if you look carefully, the detail is there.

I can easily see how just a few parts can 'upgrade' your existing MP-3 Starscream into the new. The most notable are the boots and of course, the head. The hip joints become irrelevant if you change the boots.
Old 8th June 2012, 02:11 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITZTRU View Post
I so badly want to be "not interested" in this toy either as, like many others, I already have the original 3 seekers plus ghost ss as well.
Well, sell your old one and put the $$ towards this one if you like (keep the black stand if you'd use it). Unless people are completionists this is an improved* but pricier version (like a premium painted movie figure).

Anyone thinking of replacing an old MP SS should probably hold off until we see which mould and paint details Hasbro has decided to put into its upcoming Thundercracker release. Know that Takara may update its seekers in the future too.

*eye of the beer holder and all, etc..
Old 12th June 2012, 02:32 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

So mine arrived yesterday (ordered Friday, arrived Monday, I love RK).

Jet mode is won by MP3. MP11 looks slightly more chunky (especially towards the rear), and horrifically more chunky if looked at from behind. The only bit of MP11 I prefer in vehicle mode is that the intake ramps* can be moved about because nothing is attached to them, unlike MP3. Basically you can do this

It's not a massively harsh criticsm to be fair because MP3's jet mode was verging on perfection.

*I had to google the proper name of that, I'm not a jet person

People keep saying how much easier the transformation is compared to MP3, but I'm not really seeing it. All you're doing differently is not worrying about the faux scabbards? I do like that it feels like there's a lot less pressure on the infamous double wing joint than in MP3 and its repaints.

The big improvements in robot mode are
- the head (not so much the face but I like the wider vent/IDW comics style).
- The heel spurs.

I think I was one of the few people that really dug the faux scabbards on MP3 so if I'm being honest I'm sad to see them go. Personally I feel that having the tail fins/stabilisers/whatever the proper name is attaching to the side of the legs makes them a bit too bulky and gives the figure too busy a side profile.

Two main gripes. First the head feels like it could be a little bit too far up compared to the shoulders.
Secondly, and this is a criticism of both MP3 and MP11 (which cops it for not having fixed it) - the torso doesn't clip into anything. Move an arm without pushing down on the shoulder and it all comes apart.

Basically the jet mode is worse than MP3's but the bot mode is better engineered.
Old 10th July 2012, 12:13 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

Finally transformed the pair a couple weeks ago, and as promised in post #15, these are the comparisons of their jet modes (MP3 & MP11).

Jet modes, with Gen1 Starscream to see how the MPs compare. (MP3 is on the left with the black scorching on the back)
Not much noticeably different from the top. Underneath is where it is more obvious.

Underneath you can see the different blue, and the rear section as being standout changes. The different robot waist and head joint can be seen.
The weapons on MP11 have that bar attached to the middle, which I think is redundant, and ruins the look.
And if you look closely, you can see that MP11 has been trimmed down completely on the sides. MP3 has an entire segment wider than the air intakes on each side.

That's the most significant design change, to improve the robot mode, but makes the jet mode less authentic... less "aerodynamic". Which the next two pics show.

This one also shows the remoulded "feet".

As does this one.

I think MP3 is better for the Jet mode, but for displaying it in robot mode, either one works for me.
Because these aren't really playable toys, so it doesn't matter much to me where the kibble hangs.
The deciding factor would probably be the colouring. MP11 is more Gen1 accurate with the colours and striping (and no scorching).
Old 10th July 2012, 12:31 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

The MP11 looks really cheap with a side by side comparison like that, Thanks Griffin.