View Poll Results: Cyberverse Acid Storm - worth buying?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • A non-G1 Acid Storm? Hells yeah!

1 16.67%
  • Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • Na

1 16.67%
  • Melt this toy in a rain of acid!

4 66.67%

Thread: Toy Review - Cyberverse Acid Storm (Warrior)

Default Toy Review - Cyberverse Acid Storm (Warrior)

Acid Storm
    Series - Cyberverse
    Size/class - Warrior
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco of Starscream
    Wave - 2
    Released here - Yes (12/2018)
    Approximate Retail Price - $29
    Approximate Size - 14cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Toxic Slice
    Main Colours - GREEN!
    Main Accessories - None

Robot Mode

The wing shape over the shoulders is reminiscent of the characters Thrilling 30 toy. And the colour scheme? Well the colour scheme is very G1 reminiscent, ya gotta give it that. We are talking green here. I mean, really green. Besides some grey on the torso & thighs and a yellow cockpit there is very little to break up the overpowering green to be found here. The Toxic Slice gimmick doesn’t work, which is to say it works too well. Acid Storm spins so fast it’s just a blur and you can hardly make out the wing segments at all.

Jet Mode

Pretty stock standard with little to recommend it above the litany of other TF jets out there.* The backs of the legs are visible from above and the annoying thing is you can’t take out Acid Storm’s landing gear without having to reverse the transformation somewhat.* A bit of a let down overall.

Worth Buying?
    To be honest, not really. The transformation is uninspired as is the jet mode and colour scheme and the whole toy feels cheaply made. The Toxic Slice gimmick is also a joke. However it isn’t a completely horrible figure and it’s nice to see Acid Storm finally get an outing in a non-G1 toy line. So if like me you are a Seeker enthusiast, you may wish to pick this guy (or perhaps gal) up.

FOR MORE INFO AND LOTS MORE PICS, CHECK OUT MY REVIEW OF ACID STORM HERE

Bad enough that I was stupid enough to buy Starscream. I'm gonna pass on buying repaints on what has got to be the worst Seeker mould ever made. And yes, that includes Action Masters.

At least they bothered to give some colour variance in the legs (unlike Cyberverse Starscream)...pretty surprising they bothered at all though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    At least they bothered to give some colour variance in the legs (unlike Cyberverse Starscream)...pretty surprising they bothered at all though.
    You can give this mould all the paint ops in the world and it'd be like putting makeup on a pig. You can't make a ^silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 10th January 2019 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    You can't make a purse out of a sow's ear.
    Actually, given the dimensions and relative durability you can make a purse out of a sows ear, especially if you cure it properly.

You can’t make a silk purse out of one though

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    You can’t make a silk purse out of one though
    That too!

Just watched The Basics on Acid Storm which brought up something that I didn't notice -- Cyberverse Acid Storm is gender fluid. A neat act of social progressiveness and inclusion (akin to things like the inclusion of female TFs back in the 80s cartoon, or allowing Tigatron and Airazor to be a same-gender couple in the Japanese dub of the BW show etc.).

Still doesn't convince me to buy this toy though. Maaaaaybe if I see it super cheap, as in single-digit price. Maaaybe.

This is probably the one instance where I wish the figures were more show accurate with the head and chest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Just watched The Basics on Acid Storm which brought up something that I didn't notice -- Cyberverse Acid Storm is gender fluid. A neat act of social progressiveness and inclusion
    Errrr.... I think you might be giving the writers too much credit. The line given ’it’s just something Acid Storm likes to do’ sounds like a fob off to me. In other words ‘you ignored the fact that Smithers on The Simpson’s first appeared as black, ignore the fact Acid Storm first appeared as male’. The writers probably had already written the Earth episodes with a female Acid Storm working under Slipstream, but those in charge of doing the palette swaps of Seekers for flashbacks didn’t get the memo and worked off the official website bio and stuck a green one in.

Don’t get me wrong, it would be cool to have a gender fluid character, but I don’t think this is it. Otherwise the interviewee would have made more of a proper statement rather than a dismissive one.