Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162131 ... LastLast

Thread: Unicron at Zing/EB Games

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I saw an example of that on one of the Aussie TF FB pages. I put up my review of Cyberverse Alpha Trion last night and mentioned how it was the most G1-reminicent Alpha Trion robot mode we've had (compared to the Legends, Timelines and Titans Return ones). One of the responses was a person posting pictures of several different 3P Alpha Trions that were more G1-authentic looking than the actual official toys. The mindset displayed was obviously these 3P ones were as valid as the official toys and perhaps Hasbro can blame themselves for letting it get to that state of affairs.
    There is a licensed 3rd party Alpha Trion that looks Amazing.
    I think it's a bit hard to get now, but probably one of the main reasons I haven't chased after this Cyberverse version.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I admit that 3p unicron is tempting but the face is putting me off, that and the mouth for planet mode and no color prototypes shown.

Also I'm a stupid sucker for big toys

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    As far as I know, this is the first time they've had something competing at the same time. Fans Toys was developing their MP Soundwave and then Hasbro revealed their own so FT shelved theirs. They were hesitant to push the limits. Now it seems Zeta wants to push the envelope. I don't much like where it's heading. And not liking the way the fandom is fighting one another.
    I cbf looking up the exact time lines, but Magic Square and Transform Element have both released a G1 cartoon accurate Optimus in anticipation I believe of Takara's MP44.
    Fans Toys Soundwave is back on despite an MP Soundwave reissue. The third party co's have been pushing the envelope for years now, I can't see why Hasbro would care all of a sudden?
    Anyway, Hasbro have also dodged more than their fair share of licensing fees and stolen existing IP by changing a tail light here & a bonnet scoop there. Just look at all of the not-Lamborghini's floating around

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Anyway, Hasbro have also dodged more than their fair share of licensing fees and stolen existing IP by changing a tail light here & a bonnet scoop there. Just look at all of the not-Lamborghini's floating around
    That is true... in the early days it was mostly because it wasn't really necessary for toys, unless the toy was being marketed as an accurate replica... and more recently it would have been done to trim costs where ever possible.
    And the difference between Hasbro and 3rd party "unlicensed" toys is that the Hasbro toys aren't trying to take away sales from licensed replica vehicles. People who are only wanting a licensed replica wouldn't want it "ruined" by odd robotic panels and moving parts - us Transformers fans just consider a license as a nice fancy bonus, not a necessity, as we generally prefer to have the toys looking like they do on the cartoon, or as the original series toy they are homaging. (obviously if it is a collector grade movie toy that is meant to replicate what is on screen, including its badging, accurate detailing and even its vehicle names, it should be licensed)
    The 3rd party toys are only intending to take sales away from Hasbro, as most people who buy a 3rd party toy, don't buy the Hasbro equivalent or sell it off.... so they should be paying licensing or royalties to offset the lost sales. If someone with selective spending on Transformers starts spending a few hundred dollars a year on non-Hasbro toys, it's not usually in addition to their limited Transformers budget, it becomes part of it, which then money that Hasbro doesn't get.
    And we all should know that the first toyline that Hasbro will cut back on if sales drop below a minimum amount is the Generations toys, as they don't have Movie or Cartoon support (the free advertising, that the retailers prioritise). Generations could even end up becoming a range of non-retail toys, like all of the exclusives that are set for the second half of this year... that could be the future of Generations - a smaller production run of each toy, just sold through online stores and independent retailers.

I do want to say though, that I am supportive of unlicensed accessories, as they require purchasing of a legit toy to enhance it... and because a lot of those items are things that Hasbro should have produced, but wont, so there is no competition with something legit.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I do want to say though, that I am supportive of unlicensed accessories, as they require purchasing of a legit toy to enhance it... and because a lot of those items are things that Hasbro should have produced, but wont, so there is no competition with something legit.
    This^

I know it sounds stupid when talking about toys of cartoon characters but I've always kinda felt like that buying unlicensed 3P figures was somehow cheating and not supporting the brand (zero friggin judgement on anyone who does buy that stuff).

Thats why I've only gotten items that I've felt Hasbro/TT will never make. So my unlicensed 3P collection consists of some Quintessons, an Allicon and upgrades for CW Menasor and Universe Hardhead. Oh and some items other people have given me over the years like the 3P characters for Unicron Trilogy Bruticus and WST Grimlock. And some quite interesting mousepads of course

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I've bought a number of unlicensed 3P accessories over the years to go with my HasTak toys. In the case of the old City Commander accessories, I bought the Optimus, Ultra Magnus and Nemesis Prime Voyager Class figures just so I could use those cool 3P accessories. That's three sales for Hasbro they would never have gotten if I didn't buy those accessories.

Accessories enhance the official stuff. I never would have bought Energon/Universe Superion and Bruticus had there not been upgrade sets, even though Bruticus does replace 2 of the limbs. Powermaster Prime and God Bomber upgrades make the figure alot better especially the leg pieces to lean him forward. Yes I do own some that Hasbro have gone on to release, the jumpstarters for instance, I bought the official ones anyway. MP Shockwave is really the only one I haven't bought official of yet because I just haven't had the funds. I have replaced a few 3P with official ones anyway.

I did forget about MP44 and the 3P ones competing too, so it seems pretty recent that they are really pushing the envelope now.

Yes yes Trev, we all know the dirty secret about you and your mouse pads. Heck that's where I learned where to buy them ;P

I think a stronger factor than a small production run of some dodgy 3P KO would be the large up front price rather than offering a payment plan. While the Zing offer was incredible for its pricing and lack of gouging, the fact they only wanted a hundred dollar deposit made it affordable to order TWO. Of course I'm going to have to save up for it, nad quarantine some money away each month so I don't get hit hard at the end, but with the American economy like it is I can understand people's reluctance to wack down a wad of cash for a toy they won't get till 2021.

I get the kickstarter/haslab type concept. And I know why they need the money up front to invest in the tooling. But interest rates are SO CHEAP 'right now over there, it shouldn't have been a huge sell to pitch it to a finance/payment provider.

I still really want it to get made, and I'm hoping that they'll announce some sort of hook up with a finance/credit company for a last week bump to the numbers. Its solvable, I just don't think they've thought it through well enough before soliciting it
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Placed an order now. Hope it gets backed! Also hope it doesn't take until the end of 2021 to finish!

It's now 7800