Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152030 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    And no not Watchmen for a comic newbie! Thats good but not a newbie book at all.
    I figure the best way to learn to swim is by jumping in at the deep end.

piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of September 4th.

Amazing Spider-Man #570 - Thumbs up to New Ways to Die. The three way between Spidey, Venom and Anti-Venom was pretty neat, you know I don't find Anti-Venom as stupid as I would have thought, I mean on paper he sure sounds like some two bit contrived character but hey he's got my attention. Having Osbourne meet Menace was a nice wrap up to the issue. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this story arc pans out.

Invincible Iron Man #5 - Oh god seriously the art is atrocious, if it wasn't for this decent arc I don't think I'd bother. Besides the art my other gripe with this issue is the final few pages, please come on ...
    SPOILER duh Ezekiel you didn't kill Stark, it's obviously one of those real life model decoys that SHIELD employs.END SPOILER
    Really couldn't they have come up something some a bit better, a bit more original? Anyway next issue is the last one for this story arc yes?

Marvel Apes #1 - And it begins. Now I love my Marvel Zombies (can't wait for Marvel Zombies 3 next month), so naturally I was interested in this Marvel universe going all monkey/ape style. Not sure where I stand with this, I don't know if I enjoyed it or not, I mean am I just lying to myself and making myself believe I liked this because I like Zombies? It's still early days, I guess I'll see with next issue.

Ms. Marvel annual #1 - Easily the best read this week, fun light hearted easy going with great writing, nice art and a good amount of action. Ms. Marvel and Spidey team up was brilliant, fantastic banter between the two, the whole "do you wear socks underneath those high heels" and telling Wolverine that he got to second base with Ms. Marvel, gold. If you haven't picked this up get it now!

Spider-Man loves Mary Jane #2 - Nothing really happens here. Really nothing happens, MJ goes to class talks to Liz and Gwen, then first day of work and finally a walk home with Spidey. It wasn't a bad read but just a bit filler ... already.

MARVEL

ASM - I'm still not liking this post OMD/BND Spidey but this was one of the better issues. Still hard to get into all the changes though.

IIM - Yeah, Stane, you're a dumbarse for not realising the plainly obvious. Although you have to wonder what the writers were thinking to make a end of issue "cliffhanger" so bloody obvious.

Marvel Apes - This is definitely going to be the sort of series that will be forever mocked, unless future issues some how convince me to take it seriously.

Secret Invasion : Frontline - Not liking the new FL direction, go back to the style used in CW and WWH!

Sub-Mariner : The Depths - Could be an interesting series ...

Venom : Dark Origin - Oh this is shaping up to be a good series and a good in-depth look into the life of Eddie Brock on his path to becoming Venom.

X-Men : Manifest Destiny - Never really thought much of the Iceman character, but it's left me hanging wanting to know his fate!

X-Men Origins : Beast - I'm liking these origins books and it was a nice look into Mr McCoy's life before he met the X-Men.

DC

Detecive Comics (R.I.P. Tie-in: Heart of Hush) - HOLY CRAP! Hush really hit Bruce hard! {spoiler}He removed Selina Kyle's heart and is now kept alive by machines!

Nightwaing (R.I.P. Tie-in) - Damn, Dick just keeps taking a pounding. Touching scenes with Alfred. The stuff he must have seen over the years and always having to patch Bruce and the boys up.

OTHERS

Buffy - Bit of a let down after last issue. Didn't really do much to further any of the story.

Un-Men - NOOOOOO! Final issue. I enjoyed my monthly dose of Freaks. Still, they wrapped the current storyline up nicely and left it open for a possible return.

Witchblade - Damn it's hard to concentrate on the story with that beautiful art. Bit of a transitional issue.

Wanting to get TF premium collection, too lazy to buy individual books, however it takes away the coolness of displaying a collection on your shelf..
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

Marvel Announces 'Dark Reign' at Diamond Retailer Summit

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/0809...nd-summit.html

Quote Originally Posted by Snippets from article
    After thanking retailers for the success of this summer's Secret Invasion, Bendis announced the Marvel event that follows that storyline will be called Dark Reign, which will focus on the "after effects" of Secret Invasion, and will include several Marvel Universe titles that will feature "Dark Reign" trade dress.

More specifically Bendis went on to say the post-Invasion Marvel Universe will feature a complete change in his Avengers family of titles, including the cancellation of Mighty Avengers with issue #20 and the launch of a new title Dark Avengers, with art by Mike Deodato.

Ultimate Avengers by Mark Millar, scheduled for an early Marvel 2009 debut. Fans that have been around for a few years may recall that very early on in the development of the Ultimate Universe, the title that would become The Ultimates was originally referred to as "Ultimate Avengers".

Marvel Noir is an upcoming new line that explains those four b&w teaser images the publisher has released over the last few months. The line will apparently launch with a title featuring the X-Men, with Spider-Man and then other characters/properties to follow.
    Cancellation of Mighty, less Ms. Marvel () but no big loss, as long as I still have Avengers: The Initiative I'm happy. Dark Avengers sounds pretty bad, title wise. Could Dark Avengers possibly have something to do with the Hood (see SI #4)? Or that Evil Illuminati thing that was mentioned recently which I think I read over at IGN.

Millar back with the Ultimates universe, guess I'll be checking Ultimate Avengers out. I only liked Ultimates 1 and 2 from the Ultimates universe. And weren't they saying they were going to start finishing up/cancelling the Ultimates universe (with the exception of Spider-man)?

So what's going to be the "catch" for Marvel Noir, I mean isn't Max the "dark" line that Marvel uses?

Dark Avengers? What a silly name. The New Avengers have been the 'dark' ones since Civil War - the rebebls being chased by the government. Maybe the new 'dark' team will be something like the current X-Force - the Avengers that will kill their enemies to make sure they don't bother them again.

They had suggested that the Ultimatium series would end the Ultimate Universe but I guess not... maybe some rebooting/launching? (As long as they keep Ultimate Spidey going, I still love that series.)

Judging from the Marvel Noir promo images I'd say it is going to be a couple of limited What If type series that will be more like DC Elseworlds : characters we know in noir type stories of private detectives/gangster/femme fatales.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    That's right Domino was an imposter. Another storyline involving everyones favourite Deadpool

I was always upset at Cable for letting Gideon take Sunspot ecause he knew he wasn't the immortal. Let some innocent young guy fry at the hands of a nutcase while I have the actual immortal.
    I have to say though that that was what made it so cool. His tough as nails attitude. A lot of people mistake tough as walking around and dropping 60 guys with your forty guns or gutting them or some such, but it was moments like those that made me love X-Force.

Avengers - apart from the Initiative I'm only going to read anything with Thor in it. Otherwise I just don't like Bendis enough to bother. He's literally all talk and no plot development.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    So what's going to be the "catch" for Marvel Noir, I mean isn't Max the "dark" line that Marvel uses?
    Here's info on the X-Men and Spider-Man Noir comics

I will buy the X-Men one, not sure about the Spider-Man one.

So this week's SI reads ....

Secret Invasion #6 - HOLY crap on a stick that's a huge all out war!
    Ms. Marvel #30 - Well the way this book ended was a bit silly. Practically giving out spoilers?
    SI - Inhumans #2 - Man, that's a seriously pissed off bunch of Inhumans. This little mini might be one of the best SI side stories.
    SI - Runaways/Young Avengers #3 - meh, you really need to be a fan of these kids. Did nothing really for the overall storyline, just filled in their story.
    SI - X-Men #2 - Oh now THIS was a damn good read. I am liking the direction the X-Men are going in, and to see them all united together in war was great. But the clincher? Summers once again unleashes X-Force!

And of course the other SI tie-in comic this week, even though it didn't have the SI banner but was clearly part of SI ....

DEADPOOL #1
    Yes, everybody's loveable merc with a mouth is back with his own series. A lot of people were skeptical that taking Deadpool in a more serious direction would kill the character, but if future issues are anything like this one then there's no need to worry.

Sure, the seriousness was there, but Wade's still insane and babbling and completely decimating a Skrull unit single handedly. (Before doing something that I found myself supporting)

I'm glad to hear DP reads well. I'm probably going to hold out for the trade. I'm just not that supportive of Daniel Way in general to go buy a monthly with his name on it. He's got enough editorial support as it is, so we'll at least not worry about this book falling over in the first year. Each time I think of the cancellation, it irks me that little extra so no love from me for the monthly until I read the trade. Heh, I might Byrne steal it next week.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection